Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
The charger for my ibook just decided to die, It has not worked like it should lately because it's beginning to break around the area where it connects to the mac.

Anyways.. when it died i noticed a tiny bit of smoke coming from either the charger or the ibook. Will things be ok again if i just buy a new charger or is the thing inside the computer fried?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
You probably toasted the dc-in board on the computer. They are pretty readily available on ebay. You'll also want to get rid of that charger...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Well, you need a new charger. My old 500 MHz Dual USB iBook had its charger go a few weeks ago. It started sparking (didn't notice any smoke) right where the wire enters the plug heading into the computer. The sheath had given out and the wire eventually frayed, causing the sparking.

I'm tempted to think that your computer is fine and it was just the adapter that went bad. But it should be obvious once you get a working adapter...they can usually be found cheaply from friends, eBay, craigslist, or other sources. Lots of people have old used ones lying around.

SoLibertyDies

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Spanaway, Wa
ibook guy- new adapters are super cheap on ebay and other places, hopefully that's all you need as it sounds like just the cord is bad.

MacBook guy- go to the apple store, they should replace it if it's not from misuse, unfortunately I fear you're doing something wrong if you've broken 4 of them, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.