PDA

View Full Version : G4 Sawtooth won't boot from DVD - can't install OS, HELP!!!

mlrproducts
Nov 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hi all- trying to install Tiger on a 350mhz Sawtooth - problem is the computer won't read the dvd/cdrw drive (it did fine before I formatted the HD). I try holding C, it does nothing, tried reseting PRAM, nothing. Any advice???

tdhurst
Nov 7, 2006, 10:41 PM
Tiger is on a DVD. Are you SURE you have a dvd drive in your machine?

What happens if you just let it boot up? Have you tried holding down option?

mlrproducts
Nov 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
Tiger is on a DVD. Are you SURE you have a dvd drive in your machine?

What happens if you just let it boot up? Have you tried holding down option?

Yes, its a combo drive, and it worked before I made the mistake of formatting. I've also tried 10.3 CDs in it too, to no avail.

Holding down C does nothing, it just goes to flashing folder icon. Both optical and HDD are hooked up correctly.

tdhurst
Nov 7, 2006, 11:03 PM
Borrow a friend's external drive. If it's gone through multiple optical discs, it's probably the drive that's toast.

spinne1
Nov 8, 2006, 11:27 PM
Try resetting the open firmware. Boot while holding down the Command-Option-O-F keys. At the prompt, type:
reset-nvram [return]
set-defaults [return]
reset-all [return]

At this point the computer will reboot. Have a 10.3 CD in at the time and see if you can boot from it by holding down the C button. If not, you may need a new combo drive as has been suggested.

(you also could try resetting your motherboard, but I don't think I would do this without first reading up on the subject and seeing what the effects/reasons for this are)