Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I realize this might be in the wrong forum, if so please move it. I just thought the people interested in Mac basics might find this interesting, and I couldn't find a better place to put it..

I'm browsing Macrumors forums right now, and nothing else, on a XP PC with Internet Explorer. Suddenly the forum window minimizes, and I get a message box:
Microsoft Internet Explorer said:
OBS! If your computer has errors in the registry or filesystem, this may cause unexpected and uneven PC performance, freezing, crashing and loss of data.
To repair these errors may improve the PC's performance and prevent loss of data.

Do you want to install ErrorSafe to scan your PC for free? (Recommended)

OK - Cancel

When clicking cancel, an internet explorer window resizes itself to be big and takes me to the ErrorSafe webpage, and I have to battle through a few dialog-boxes before it lets me go. Fortunately, Internet Explorer prevents what I suspect is a load of pop-ups.

..somehow I don't think this would ever happen on my Mac.

I'll leave an attachment for the norwegian-speaking of you.

Attachments

• teit.GIF
    teit.GIF
    11.2 KB · Views: 185

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I don't know how users can put up with Windows. It boggles my mind.

I recently had to service a Parallels Windows installation (yeech) and mucking through the system preferences was an exercise in frustration. Each change required an "Apply" which is so dumb. Macs make that whole process so easy and painless.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do love my mac but I'll admit I've always been really ok with windows, I just prefer to work in the mac environment. At work, I am tied to windows because that is all they let us have! And we're still on Win 2k...which I find super stable.

Greebazoid

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
Cape Town
I had that crap on my Windows 2003 server a while back - it was up todate with service packs and all was healthy till it somehow got adware and trojans

I eventually gave up trying to clean it, and am rebuilding it with Suse Linux.

Windows products good for games and nothing else.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I'm amazed that anyone still uses IE in this day and age. FireFox is the way to go, no matter what OS you use.
You're just asking for it if you use Internet Explorer.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I realize this might be in the wrong forum, if so please move it. I just thought the people interested in Mac basics might find this interesting, and I couldn't find a better place to put it..

I'm browsing Macrumors forums right now, and nothing else, on a XP PC with Internet Explorer. Suddenly the forum window minimizes, and I get a message box:

When clicking cancel, an internet explorer window resizes itself to be big and takes me to the ErrorSafe webpage, and I have to battle through a few dialog-boxes before it lets me go. Fortunately, Internet Explorer prevents what I suspect is a load of pop-ups.

this shouldn't be happening. not sure where it's coming from. I'll look into it some more...

arn

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark

First of all I'd just start using Firefox instead of IE (and OS X instead of Windows :D ), and second of all - don't press cancel in these cases, just close the window with the red X. What looks like a cancel-button is just a part of an image which links to the website.

I'd also run a virus/malware check after having been lured to any of those sites.

I can recommend the free online always up-to-date check at http://housecall65.trendmicro.com

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
You are not going to believe this...it just happened on my Mac..Yes Mac OS X. Nothing windows...pure mac, not even intel. All of a sudden this error safe thing pops up and starts doing all funky stuffs. Gorsh, is this the beginning of the end...:eek:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I'm amazed that anyone still uses IE in this day and age. FireFox is the way to go, no matter what OS you use.
You're just asking for it if you use Internet Explorer.

Firefox is better than Safari? Why?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
You are not going to believe this...it just happened on my Mac..Yes Mac OS X. Nothing windows...pure mac, not even intel. All of a sudden this error safe thing pops up and starts doing all funky stuffs. Gorsh, is this the beginning of the end...:eek:

Naaah! You're pulling my leg! :D

Really?? :confused:

I thought it was a windows-only thing. I'm at work and have to use IE. :(
It happened again right now, btw. I was on the frontpage and clicked MacBytes "Huge Interest In New iPod - Apple" transporting me to the forum, and then ErrorSafe came up.

When I did the same thing trying to recreate the above, nothing unusual happened.

Btw. Thanks for moving the post

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Naaah! You're pulling my leg! :D

It's a pop-up. It's not *doing* anything besides popping up on a Mac (whereas it might try to install spyware / adware / malware on a PC). But some advertisers have been exploiting flaws in the way the browser environment is designed in order to bypass pop-up blockers. The most popular one is to embed the pop-up in a Flash object... I *think* that the latest Flash that was released a couple of months ago addresses this, but I'm not 100% sure.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
It's a pop-up. It's not *doing* anything besides popping up on a Mac (whereas it might try to install spyware / adware / malware on a PC). But some advertisers have been exploiting flaws in the way the browser environment is designed in order to bypass pop-up blockers. The most popular one is to embed the pop-up in a Flash object... I *think* that the latest Flash that was released a couple of months ago addresses this, but I'm not 100% sure.

Doesn't seem to be a pop-up, rather a dialog box. It just hi-jacked Firefox on my Mac when browsing the forums. Seems to have a connection to this page : http://great4mac.com/store.html as the ErrorSafe page sent me to the great4mac page after I was done clicking all that stuff, without clicking anything. Seems pithelmet on Safari immobilizes the script.

I wish there was an option in Firefox to see how it actually happens. I'll attach how it looks, it's not a pop-up.

Attachments

• Bilde 2.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 102

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
What country are people in that are getting this problem?

And it is when browsing the forums -- correct? (https://forums.macrumors.com), not the main site?

arn

Just got one smacked in the face
belgium here, and it was surfing the forums (actually trying to load the next page of "new posts")
The url when clicking next page is something ... well see pic
The page does not load any further unless you click one of the buttons...

Good luck.

pic should be up soon
http://mr.yuru.be/pics/errorsafe.png

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
I just got an Errorsafe ad, I'm in the Netherlands. I was browsing the forums.

I hope you can fix this, it's pretty annoying.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
What country are people in that are getting this problem?

And it is when browsing the forums -- correct? (https://forums.macrumors.com), not the main site?

arn

I'm from Norway. Got several browsing the forums. Never in Safari w/Pithelmet, though. Got one clicking a macbytes-article from the front-page, but that takes you to the forum, so I guess it had to do with the forum.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

If you're familiar with Windows a degree of common sense would have prevented the clicking on that window, since the entire 'window' is an image with a link. Safari vs IE? A useless browser or an insecure brower - take your pick, or use Firefox. However, I have to agree that out of the box, the Mac caters for the clueless better than Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.