PDA

View Full Version : iPod idea

lorductape
Nov 8, 2006, 04:14 PM
here's an idea my friends and I had today.

why not make the iPod like the iMac, in the sense that you have some customizable options on the apple store? you could make hard drive space an option, and, like the mac, the smaller the hard drive, the cheaper it would cost. When the full screen is released, you could pick between full screen and standard, maybe even a color scheem (body vs. clickwheel), while maintaining the ability to etch a name on the back.

also, what about pre-loaded music that you buy per-track, with a loading fee of $0.01 per song, for people who are not like me and have no free time?

just a thought.

opinions?

psychofreak
Nov 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
you could make hard drive space an option, and, like the mac, the smaller the hard drive, the cheaper it would cost.

Like what they do now?

lorductape
Nov 8, 2006, 04:22 PM
wow, when was the last time you went to the apple store? have you ever configured a mac? then you'd know that just choosing 30gb or 80 gb isn't what im talking about. I'm talking about more choices, and instead of classifying then as 30 or 80's, just calling it the "iPod" and having a CONFIGURATION PAGE to pick the hd size. lets face it, 30 and 80 are extremes... what if I don't need 80, but have more that 30? there should be a compromise price.

4nr-
Nov 8, 2006, 05:27 PM
economically it will most likely not pay off for apple: the demand for a computer differs from consumer to consumer, depending on what it is intended to be used it for. An mp3 player on the other hand cannot be used for much except for playing mp3s. Economics of scale (more produced, smaller cost per unit) allow the ipod to be at the price it is at now, adding options like that will increase the price way to much to have a reasonable demand in the short run. In the long run it might pay off (once economies of scale has a reasonable effect on price), but with constant new technological innovations apples market share is always at risk.

Sorry :P

GimmeSlack12
Nov 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
The idea of the iPod is a simple purchase. And when too much customization is added it breaks that idea.

If you have more than 30gb then what is stopping you from one day having close to 80? And with the advent of video that amount of capacity might become relevant sooner than you might expect.

I know your idea is to simply discuss more Built-to-Order options for the iPod, but I look at the prices ranging from the Shuffle-Nano-80gig iPod. The prices range from $79-$300 with 5 different choices so I think that about covers it. Is there any need to try and make more price differences? I don't see the point (and I'm sure neither does Apple). And as for the music on the iPod when you buy it (cause you don't have the time) you do realize these things are pretty damn fast on transfers, right?

lorductape
Nov 8, 2006, 05:40 PM
:confused:

gosh, it was just a thought, and especially with all the new products that will be released soon (full screen, iPhone, etc.)

forget I said anything.

Kingsly
Nov 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
just a thought.

opinions?

gosh, it was just a thought, and especially with all the new products that will be released soon (full screen, iPhone, etc.)

forget I said anything.

You asked for opinions... and you got 'em...