PDA

View Full Version : G3 ibook combo drive - are they still made?

allan_zip
Nov 9, 2006, 03:55 AM
The CD-RW drive in my 2001 G3 ibook stopped recognising discs this morning :(
I havn't had a chance to look inside and see if it's just a loose connection. If the combo drive needs replacing, does anyone know where i can find a replacement in the UK? (not ebay) i tried ifixit in the US and they are all out of stock. Or better still can anyone recommend an upgraded device (cd-rw/dvd-rw) that would be compatible for installation.
My current device is the Toshiba CD-RW/DVD-ROM SD-R2102
I really love my old ibook and don't wanna let it go to seed, i've only ever had to replace the reed switch cable in it after all. I have an external writer but would like to keep a writing drive inside going.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

livingfortoday
Nov 10, 2006, 06:23 AM
Well, I was gonna say eBay, but then I read your caveat. Honestly, you can get decently priced replacement drives on eBay, not always the same brand, but most will work with an iBook. Alternately, you could try the Marketplace here, and post a WTB thread and see what people have.

davidjearly
Nov 10, 2006, 07:05 AM
I havn't had a chance to look inside and see if it's just a loose connection. If the combo drive needs replacing, does anyone know where i can find a replacement in the UK? (not ebay) i tried ifixit in the US and they are all out of stock. Or better still can anyone recommend an upgraded device (cd-rw/dvd-rw) that would be compatible for installation.
I really love my old ibook and don't wanna let it go to seed, i've only ever had to replace the reed switch cable in it after all. I have an external writer but would like to keep a writing drive inside going.
Cheers.

I was just about to eBay mine actually. It's been lying in my spares box in a protective bag since sold my G3 iBook earlier this year. It is actually newer than your one and comes with the bezel also. It also has the cable for attaching it to the main board. I can verify it works perfectly.

It is a Toshiba CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive, Model: SD-R2212. It was manufactured in October 2002.

It's yours if you want it. Make me an offer. My eBay feedback is 100%+ and I've got a verified paypal account. If you decide to make an offer and I accept, I would prefer you use Paypal.

I am based in Scotland btw.

David

EDIT: It came out of a 900Mhz G3 iBook.

davidjearly
Nov 15, 2006, 09:25 AM
Cheers.

I've sent you a pm to see if you are still interested.

Thanks, David

mr.steevo
Nov 15, 2006, 09:58 AM
Cheers.

Hi,

Assuming you have the white iBook you could get a Superdrive.
http://www.mcetech.com/ibg3dvdr8dl.html

s.