Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Ok, forget all the MS bashing, I know its fun and oh so true but can someone give me an honest opinion of Vista and wether it is even a patch on OSX?

I wont ever use it but I am just curious as I have seen various videos of what it should of been (admittedly very good visually) and screen shots of what it actually is (XP wearing a new dress?).

Ready, steady.... go!

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Recently I purchased a new computer and spent a lot of time thinking about whether I should switch to Apple full time or go for a high-end PC. I downloaded Vista to test it out and decided there just aren't enough new features to make it worthwhile, as pretty much everything that had been promised over the last five years has not made it into the final product and the few features that have will be back-ported to XP and 2003 anyway. Basically, I consider Vista to be XP Service Pack 3.

I decided to go for a Mac Pro (ordered day after they were announced) and am extremely happy with my choice.

Sean :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I hate it.

See my posts here.

So Vistas security comes in the form of Warnings? They havent actually reworked it from the ground up like they said, they have just added another 100 warning boxes.

What about userbility?

XP was an absolute dog to use. Especially with images in a folder. I still cannot view the files themselves only preview the images in a stupid browser thing. Even my boss has trouble with this and he uses Windows everyday.

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
It doesn't seem as if it's been built from the ground up (maybe the core of it is though - I wouldn't know). It has greatly improved from Beta 2 to RC1, which I am using now. There is less "Are you sure you want to allow...?" pop-ups, and stuff like that - but it still does not seem finished. Which makes sense as it is not the final version I'm using.

The windows search is a joke compared to Spotlight, and I think it still looks a bit over the top in many ways. It's not as intuitive as OS X, but it does improve on XP in many ways in my opinion. The file-browsing is quite nice, and there is a nicer "preview" built in. To me the biggest difference seems to be in all the stuff that comes with Vista though: DirectX 10, Office 2007, IE 7.0 a.s.o.
But then again - all of those things, except DX10 will also run on Win XP which is quite stable after 5 years of Service Packs and minor upgrades, and XP doesn't require as many resources as Vista either.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on getting Vista once it gets here though - wait untill Vista SP1.

And not all programs have been updated to run under Vista yet either.

In short, there is still room for improvement, but many of the small things might have been fixed in the final version.

I'll probably be going back to XP at some point, just can't be bothered to format my PC again right now.

Hope it spreads a bit of almost unbiased light on Vista (even though I greatly prefer OS X).

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Imagine it as XP, but slightly better.

Not worth it if you already have XP, and I'd give it a couple of years before I upgrade to it, but it's not THAT bad.

The User Account Control warnings are annoying, but can be turned off. It's nothing special, I only use it for Windows software that I need to run.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the initial release still 32bit? I thought that the "real" 64bit release wasn't for quite some time yet.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Imagine it as XP, but slightly better.

Not worth it if you already have XP, and I'd give it a couple of years before I upgrade to it, but it's not THAT bad.

And whats worse is SP3 for XP ain't due till mid 2008 :eek:

Last I heard when RC2 hit Vista had 500 bugs remaining!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the initial release still 32bit? I thought that the "real" 64bit release wasn't for quite some time yet.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6118434.html

And I'd assume it'll be auto detect for 32/64 bit hardware.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I've never used it, but isn't it true that the basic home edition won't feature any type of built in DVD creation software like OS X has with iMovie, and it doesn't include the 'Aero' look?

At least the graphical experience in OS X, such as expose and the various eye candies, comes with every version of Tiger they sell... oh yea, there is only one version of Tiger :D

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
Don't get me started on the different Vista versions - it is laughable. I don't see the point except making more money?

And this is from a guy who wants Windows to be as good as possible - the more competition, the better for us consumers. But Vista doesn't look as if it's going to be anywhere near as good as Tiger is already, and that's too bad really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.