View Full Version : DAW's: MB C2D or MBP C2D - which is the better value?

Nov 9, 2006, 05:17 AM
Was planing on getting a MBP C2D but yesterday the MB's were released and im wondering if they will e sufficient and maybe the almost $1500 could be spent better elsewhere, on the other hand the glossy screens do piss me off and 3gb upgrade choice is nice,
though, every other benefit seems geared toward the graphic/video editing/ gaming people and Im not really interested in anything other than a DAW

If money was an object what would you get?

my primary apps are Logic 7, Reason and Melodyne

Nov 10, 2006, 12:07 AM
They are basically the same notebook, as far as audio is concerned. Only big differences are the FW800 port on the mbp, if you would need that for anything.

That core 2 duo chip is amazing for Logic, as some have posted on the apple logic discussion forum. Congrats....

Nov 10, 2006, 03:54 PM
I was in the same situation as you not too long ago, but I couldn't wait for the core2duo macbooks so I got an imac instead.

I would get the macbook over the MBP. I use logic frequently and coming from a powerbook, the core2's are amazing, so you can't go wrong either way. IMO the added features the MBP have are more valuable for video editing, upgraded graphics, FW800. upgrading the hard drive in the MB is supposedly easier than upgrading it in the MBP, so ou can always drop in a 7200 rpm hard drive in the future, which will really benefit large audio files.

I say spend the extra money somewhere else

Big Boss Man
Nov 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
Tough call. I am trying to decide between the two myself. The MBP also has the ExpressCard/34 which you can use to connect an eSATA external drive or a Magma PCI expansion to run UAD-1 cards. I am probably going to wait and buy which ever one gets the next significant upgrade.

Nov 28, 2006, 07:47 PM
fwiw, here (http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33477) is a similar thread at osxaudio.

Nov 28, 2006, 10:30 PM
yeh mate i visit that forum too.

i would probably get the MB cos that issue with the firewire port on the MBP is totally unacceptable,

i think i can wait for the C2D Mac Mini, Mac Laptop have disappointed me this year with the problems and noise, i only need the portability for recording vocals and i can do that with my iBook, its much quieter than the macbooks too.

thanks guys

Dec 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
I had to make the same decision and went for the Macbook. I also got 2 gigs of Ram a 22" Widrescreen monitor to hook up to it to use at home and it still came to less than the MBP (this is with uni discount btw).

Just got the machine set up and first impressions are really good - heard a lot of horror stories about poor build quality and noisy fans but this one is quiet and perfect. Its my first mac and I am loving it so far. The OS is so elegant and everything so far has just worked without messing about with drivers etc.

Cant wait to get ableton installed on it and start rocking some live sets with it. :D :D :D