PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Shuffle 2G and Apple Store weirdness

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2006, 02:58 PM
I stopped in Apple Easton last night to get a hands on and see the new shuffle. I walked in and there were nanos in the usual place... and video ipods a little ways over .. and wait.. what? There's no shuffles. So I walked around the store looking for them (maybe they're so small they can't be easily found?) but nothing.

I eventually spotted one clipped to an employee's belt and I stopped and asked him:

"I was expecting to see the new shuffles tonight, do you have them?"

"Yeh.. here" he said and handed me his off hit belt. It didn't have headphones, the battery was dead and he just stood there as I pressed the play button.. and yep. It clicked.

So I handed it back to him in what was the most awkward apple store experience ever and said "hmm... thanks."

I guess they're selling fast enough that people don't need to see them or play with them.. they're expected to just go in and fork over the cash because it's Apple..?

Doesn't that seem smug/weird to anyone else? Does your local store have this same odd sales demo policy or are they sitting out for you to touch and listen to?

jsm4182
Nov 9, 2006, 03:36 PM
I was at the apple store in Providence on friday and noticed they didn't have any shuffles on display but the employees had them clipped to their shirts.

eyemacg5
Nov 9, 2006, 03:41 PM
In the store in sheffield there not on display there in a box at the back behind the counter

ClassicFitness
Nov 9, 2006, 03:46 PM
No shuffles in display to listen at? This is weird. Maybe it's too small and they don't have any small security clip.:(

MattyMac
Nov 9, 2006, 04:18 PM
hmmm very odd...that would discourage me from buying one at the store.

I bought one online though...and it is very nice!

tdhurst
Nov 9, 2006, 04:43 PM
No shuffles in display to listen at? This is weird. Maybe it's too small and they don't have any small security clip.:(

That would actually make sense.

They have probably learned from their mistake when the minis came out...I remember we always had some on display, but none to sell. People got mad that they were able to SEE the product, but couldn't buy it...

milo
Nov 9, 2006, 04:47 PM
It generally seems to take them a couple days to get them on display. It was like that when I got my mini. None on the counter, but some in the back room.

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
It generally seems to take them a couple days to get them on display. It was like that when I got my mini. None on the counter, but some in the back room.

One... I could accept this if he explained that to me.. I'm pretty reasonable. No go. Just weirdness.

And B... it's not like the apple stores uses elaborate cardboard displays like target. They have a wooden table that has ipods on it.. and they all get stuck with the same .5" by .5" white security tag.

http://edge.macworld.com/news/2005/01/22/checking_shuffle.jpg

backsidetailsli
Nov 9, 2006, 04:59 PM
worried of theft?
even with security guards in my local store, they are small enough to easily steal.

stevehp
Nov 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
worried of theft?
even with security guards in my local store, they are small enough to easily steal.

that's what I was thinking, but there has to be a way around it.

archurban
Nov 9, 2006, 05:02 PM
back in september I got new nano. it was september 13th. the day after release nano. when I went to store, they didn't have new one on display. but they had in stock. I bought one. after about 5 days, it showed up display. so in the same way, new shuffle will be displayed coming friday or next monday so that you can try it out.:)

apunkrockmonk
Nov 9, 2006, 10:45 PM
When I went to my local apple store tonight to pickup a new macbook to replace my MBP and they had at least 4 of the shuffles on display.

All of the employees also had them clipped on as well.

There was a stack of probably 35 or so behind the counter as well.

milo
Nov 10, 2006, 10:48 AM
It could just be a matter of supply keeping up with demand. If they're selling them as fast as they get them in stock, every one on display is one they can't sell. They'll have them out in a matter of days if they're not on display already.

TrenchMouth
Nov 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
also keep in mind that the store plans, layout and all that, are governed by apple not the individual store. while they go out of their way to get the latest $350 ipod or $2500 mac pro on the floor asap, something like the $80 shuffle is going to have to wait a bit to get on the floor. :rolleyes:

if the previous generation shuffle is any indicator (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1777890,00.asp), it might even sound better than the ipod...so be sure to test one out before you buy if that is a big issue for you.