PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 + HD DVD

eyemacg5
Nov 9, 2006, 03:36 PM
Can I play HD DVD's on my imac g5 isight, will the superdrive read them?

and the display is 1680x1050 so just below full HD what will is do? scale down 1080i to 1680x1050 or will it scale up 720p?

Thanks in advance

Jake

Specs are:
2.1ghz Processor
1536mb DDR2 Ram
128mb ATI Graphics Card

NextTuesday
Nov 9, 2006, 03:58 PM
I think you should be OK. But now its more of an issue getting a Mac-compatible (or any for that matter) drive and software to read HD-DVD's.

eyemacg5
Nov 9, 2006, 04:19 PM
oh, so will i have to replace the drive or is there a mac tv tuner w/ fw400 and hdmi input?

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 9, 2006, 05:09 PM
Superdrive will not read them.

Apple will be going Blu-ray, maybe in January, so you will have to wait till then.

As far as I know, I'm yet to see an external HD-DVD drive.

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 9, 2006, 05:11 PM
oh, so will i have to replace the drive or is there a mac tv tuner w/ fw400 and hdmi input?
A big no no when it comes to HDTV as HDMI should have HDCP, so no inputting to a computer.

Jman888
Nov 10, 2006, 12:02 AM
Superdrive will not read them.

Apple will be going Blu-ray, maybe in January, so you will have to wait till then.

As far as I know, I'm yet to see an external HD-DVD drive.
Blu-Ray? I dont belive that a 900$ drive adds too much price. Also NOBODY but sony is supporting Blu-Ray.

MisterMe
Nov 10, 2006, 12:10 AM
Blu-Ray? .... Also NOBODY but sony is supporting Blu-Ray.This is absolutely postively untrue.

Jman888
Nov 10, 2006, 12:48 AM
This is absolutely postively untrue.

Well. The people who will let you play it arent. (Hp , Dell , Toshiba , Also a lot of people who make Tv's And Dvd players. Most companys really Are with HD-DVD. They dont like how propietary Blu-Ray is.)
HD DVD is promoted by Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, Intel, among others. In terms of major studios, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios and The Weinstein Company (through Genius Products) and is non-exclusively backed by Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., New Line, HBO, DreamWorks, Image Entertainment, Magnolia Pictures, Brentwood Home Video, Warner Music Group, Ryko, Goldhil Entertainment, and Studio Canal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Corporate_support
Although There it says Apple supports Blu-Ray ..
Bad move i hate anything sony..

fiercetiger224
Nov 10, 2006, 01:14 AM
The iMac G5's SuperDrive cannot play HD-DVDs. You'll need to purchase another drive that handles HD-DVDs, and it's probably best to get it external.

As for Blu-Ray support, Apple is probably going to add a Blu-Ray drive soon. As long as they can make any...PS3 is taking most of the laser diodes...*sighs* :rolleyes: