Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

androol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I bought a replacement panel off Ebay and was debating whether to do it myself or bring it into the apple service center. The guy quoted $120 + tax to just install the panel. Ifixit.com has a guide, is it easier said than done?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Get it done by a professional. It's not terribly simple IMO, unless you're quite good at this sort of thing. What sort of hardware mods have you done before? :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
that depends on how confident you are with replacing it. I've heard its not an easy task, but if you feel confident, and you read the instructions carefully, it can be done. :)

EDIT: MJ, whats with they scythe and hammer? A lot the demis and high-posting members have them. Have i missed something?

androol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I've never opened a laptop in my life, other to install RAM. But I can perform an appendectomy with my eyes closed, so I do have steady hands. :D I just don't want to be without the computer for a few days, if it will only take 30 minutes to do myself.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
EDIT: MJ, whats with they scythe and hammer? A lot the demis and high-posting members have them. Have i missed something?

Just this... :D

I've never opened a laptop in my life, other to install RAM. But I can perform an appendectomy with my eyes closed, so I do have steady hands. :D I just don't want to be without the computer for a few days, if it will only take 30 minutes to do myself.

Give yourself plenty of time (more than half an hour) and see how you go. If you've got steady hands then you're halfway there. :)

apenaroks

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
I bought a replacement panel off Ebay and was debating whether to do it myself or bring it into the apple service center. The guy quoted $120 + tax to just install the panel. Ifixit.com has a guide, is it easier said than done?

I would just go here and get it fixed. good prices too!

Jabberwocky246

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
Replacing the screen on the Macbook is definitely easier than on the Macbook Pro (you listed a Macbook but posted in MBP forum). I speak from experience, having done both.

You need a lot more patience on the MBP because it's glued down and you need to gently work all the glue loose.

If you are detail-oriented and (most importantly) patient, you can easily do the screen replacement yourself. Follow the tutorial to the letter (http://www.ifixit.com or other instruction site) and you should be fine.

I'd recommend giving it a shot, you can always take it in if it turns out to be too challenging.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.