Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Apple This is what I'd like from an ipod-please.

1) The great interface and useability of the existing ipods
2) A changeable battery
3) Expandeable (if flash memory)
4) Good Quality Built in speakers. I spend enough time at work away from my wife that I don't want to put on headphones and cut myself off from her and everone else. Frankly apart from my runs, I don't have time to put on headphones. We listen to CD's together. Nobody suggest two headphones-please!
5) Some way of getting songs from my CD into it without a dam computer
6) That 'must have' apple industrial design
7) a radio built in
8) To be as robust as possible
9) A built in TV (well they can do it 3G phones)
10) easy to switch songs without going to the unit itself (eg if its in your pocket)

Not interested in video, we have a Hard disk recorder loads of DVD's and never have time to watch these and why would you want to watch on a tiny screen anyway when you can buy a 40 inch plasma or LCD?? I can see teh itv being good for video though.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Umm, some phones have good quality speakers- they don't have to be as good as say Tannoy speakers!

I know its just me but not into this listening to music in your own little world-It's so anti social unless your'e on a train or something.

So also its got to be as big as a 30 or 80 GB ipod..

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wtf?

Apple This is what I'd like from an ipod-please.

1) The great interface and useability of the existing ipods
2) A changeable battery
3) Expandeable (if flash memory)
4) Good Quality Built in speakers. I spend enough time at work away from my wife that I don't want to put on headphones and cut myself off from her and everone else. Frankly apart from my runs, I don't have time to put on headphones. We listen to CD's together. Nobody suggest two headphones-please!
6) That 'must have' apple industrial design
7) a radio built in
8) To be as robust as possible
9) A built in TV (well they can do it 3G phones)
10) easy to switch songs without going to the unit itself (eg if its in your pocket)

1. That's easy.
2. Good call, but I doubt possible with such a small form factor.
3. Same as #2.
4. Absolutely ridiculous. Why, why? Just get cheap desktop speakers.
5. I have no idea why you'd ever think this possible. Is it going to somehow SCAN the CD? Maybe you could just read the lyrics into it?
6. I have no idea what you are talking about here.
7. Unnecessary. You can buy radios the size of a few earbuds for next to nothing.
8. Duh.
9. Worthless, absolutely worthless.
10. Voice recognition? WIRED remote? Or maybe telepathy? I'm voting for telepathy.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Hi!

I work at Apple and am in charge of finding out what people want and making sure it gets made.

Thanks very much for your great suggestions and for posting them on this forum! I am currently in the process of actioning your requests. You have some amazing ideas and you deserve to be heard - and now you are!

Please just stay in your house and wait by the phone for us to call in case we need any more details or information. When we call, your wife can listen in if you have a speaker phone with a good quality speaker. If you do not have one, then I will give you the contact details for various phone manufacturers who will be very interested in any improvements you feel could be made to their products.

Kindest regards,
Alice Q. Devotchka

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN

Just saw this product in the latest Hammacher Schlemmer catalog:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73037.asp

The CD-to-iPod Music Transfer System
This iLoad is the first device that allows you to load a CD directly onto any type of docking iPod (not included) in minutes without the need for a computer or Internet connection (see it work). The portable device converts music on a CD into a compressed MP3 file format and transfers the files directly to the iPod you connect to it. An entire CD, or only the individual tracks you select, can be transferred in approximately 8 minutes or less, and the device has an internal database that automatically adds the artist, song, and album information to the iPod as the music is loaded. A built-in audio output jack allows you to connect a set of your own headphones to listen to tracks and decide whether to transfer them, and the controls are top-mounted for easy access. The transfer system also charges your iPod while plugged in, and the unit can be connected to a computer via USB to download new music title, artist, and album data as it becomes available on a weekly basis. Small enough to pack in a suitcase, backpack, or briefcase, the system is lightweight and easy to use, simplifying digital music transfer in the home, at the office, or when traveling without access to a computer, and there is no software to install. Transfer cable included. Plugs into AC. 11/2" H x 63/4" W x 71/2" L. (1 lb.)

Price: $249.95 US Dollars.

*Expected to begin shipping on January 15, 2007*

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
OK I was having abit of fun for the large part but
Having internal speakers isn't so outrageous. My little Nokia 6280 has speakers, its not great quality but Nokia and other phone companies do phones with so called Hi Fi quality speakers.

That CD trasferring device was just what I was talking about. Everone here is computer savvy but I have brought 3 ipods as presents (still don't own one myself) and all 3 were sitting in the box for several weeks while the people concerned found out or found some one who could get the music into tyhem. Yes they all had computers but not everone can be bothered with them.

I recently had a registry error which resulted in a reformatted hard disk. I lost all my itunes library ( I play it through my main hifi-excellent). I hadn't included it in the back up. Fortunately I have all my CD's and nothing was from itunes.

I was thinking about it I'm actually someone who doesn't 'need' an ipod- I may want one but I'd never use it. Its the headphones thing that puts me off.

I still want all my songs in my pocket but why can't it easily be hooked up to my main HiFi and have good speakers?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I was thinking about it I'm actually someone who doesn't 'need' an ipod- I may want one but I'd never use it. Its the headphones thing that puts me off.

I still want all my songs in my pocket but why can't it easily be hooked up to my main HiFi and have good speakers?

The dock would be the perfect solution - audio comes out through the dock connector and sounds much better than the headphone jack. Alternatively, you could get an aiport express and stream your audio from the computer to the stereo. Depending on where your computer and your hi-fi are located, this may or may not make sense for you. :)

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
cd to ipod without computer... now there's an idea...

so you're suggesting a device that can read the cd, than use some form of wireless (802.11 n :rolleyes: ) or the iPod connector to put them on to the ipod??? interesting... of course, it might take a while, unless the cd drive was expensive and high quality, but either way.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

That CD trasferring device was just what I was talking about. Everone here is computer savvy but I have brought 3 ipods as presents (still don't own one myself) and all 3 were sitting in the box for several weeks while the people concerned found out or found some one who could get the music into tyhem. Yes they all had computers but not everone can be bothered with them.

It's 2006 and time for people how to learn the basics about computers. If they can't work something, there are tons of kids who would be happy to rip CDs and sync the iPod to your computer for a nominal fee.

I recently had a registry error which resulted in a reformatted hard disk. I lost all my itunes library ( I play it through my main hifi-excellent). I hadn't included it in the back up. Fortunately I have all my CD's and nothing was from itunes.

That's EXACTLY why you want your iPod to sync to your computer. There are tons of free programs to recover songs from your iPod.

Yeah, mini jack to stereo cords are about $10, docks are $20. Buy one.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
So there is an easy way to connect an ipod to a hifi system?

On the using a computer thing, I find it easy and a joy to use (when a freind has come to use his Nano) but my wife, her sister, my dad, my brother other people I know don't have a clue.

So why not a big ipod (say 300mm x 200mm so sameish form factor) (an iblast??)then with the great apple user interface, cutting edge ID, built in CD/DVD drive (for the luddites out there) , big speakers AND a connection to the net or a wifi to the net for naming tracks and itunes. If a decent sized screen then it could be ok for watching video. Still portable. OK price tag would be 1000 ish but there could be a market..

For me its the headphones thing which puts me off (I find headphones give me a headache and I don't like to cut myself off) but I know from playing my itunes playlists through a hifi how great it is to have hours and hours of music on hand (great for parties)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So there is an easy way to connect an ipod to a hifi system?

Of course there's an easy way to hook to a stereo, it's called a cable! Audio cable is probably $5 or less, a cable that handles video is more like $20. It is great for things like playing playlists for a party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.