Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cokeacola

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Dundee Scotland
first post so please be kind !
New to mac and have been converted from a pc.What i would like to know is i have a lot of mpeg 1 files and would like to convert them to mp4 using MPEG STREAMCLIP to a smaller file size will i notice the quality difference during playback on my mac ?

for example a 100mb file converted to mp4

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
New to mac and have been converted from a pc.What i would like to know is i have a lot of mpeg 1 files and would like to convert them to mp4 using MPEG STREAMCLIP to a smaller file size will i notice the quality difference during playback on my mac ?

Hi cokeacola,

I think you will better of leaving the files as mpg1, when you start to re-encode files you usualy lose quite a lot of quality.

if you get Quicktime pro you can use this to export your mpg1 to mpg4 files.

Suprami X

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006

Use Streamclips trim tool to break off a small chunk of one of your files and figure out the best quality to size trade off to get what you want out of the files. Run these tests and make your choice then.
But its true, sometimes its just easier to leave it as it is, rather than add another age of compression to your files.

-M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.