PDA

View Full Version : Bought/building a New House!


amnesiac1984
Apr 23, 2003, 06:00 AM
We're currently building our dream home, well my folks are anyway, good thing is its my dream home too! Check out the latest progress here (http://homepage.mac.com/idioteque/PhotoAlbum3.html).

BTW I'm having trouble uploading pics to idisk without them going corrupt.

Its a newfangled sort of kit home thingy, my dad designed and a canadian company called Viceroy Homes built the parts and shipped em over, by parts I mean the wooden wall sections. Its gonna be clad in a very clever kind of fake wood thats made of something like fibre glass and cement and lasts forever. I will try to get more pics of the view inside as its pretty impressive, hopefully the attic will become my studio as there is a huge floor space but low ceilings and an amazing view, what d'ya think?

I'll post more as it gets looking better.

rainman::|:|
Apr 23, 2003, 07:01 AM
i've heard of stuff like this-- supposedly the house will be stronger because it was 'built' indoors and not exposed to the elements like regular construction is...

is your dad an architect? or just good at design?

that's very cool all around :) how are the costs, as opposed to a 'normal' house?

pnw

iGav
Apr 23, 2003, 07:17 AM
So not fair..... I'd love to be able to design and build my own house.... :(

G4scott
Apr 23, 2003, 07:23 AM
wow... Nice house. I wish I had a place like that with a wonderful view...

Mr. Anderson
Apr 23, 2003, 07:27 AM
That's quite nice - and the siding you're talking about is great stuff, we're putting it on our addition when its built later this year.

So what body of water are you looking out over?

D

pivo6
Apr 23, 2003, 08:32 AM
The house is looking great. I can't wait to see more pictures, especially the siding. I wouldn't mind changing mine, but that's not going to happen for a while.

scem0
Apr 23, 2003, 08:41 AM
I already know what my 'house' is gunna be when I get older,
and richer, etc. I am going to have a Japanese style mantion,
with rice-paper walls and reed covered floors. Which will be
bulletproof, because.... because..... It would just be cool. :D

bbarnhart
Apr 23, 2003, 08:45 AM
Anyone have a link to the siding material you're talking about? We have a new home (3 years) and it already need to be painted. We've talked about vinyl siding, but I don't like that. Thanks

jelloshotsrule
Apr 23, 2003, 09:10 AM
looks like a great headquarters for the PPPoE. very nice indeed

Mr. Anderson
Apr 23, 2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by scem0
I I am going to have a Japanese style mantion,
with rice-paper walls and reed covered floors. Which will be bulletproof

That's going to be some interesting bulletproof rice-paper......;)

So how to you plan on getting the money for this mansion?

D

G4scott
Apr 23, 2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
That's going to be some interesting bulletproof rice-paper......;)

So how to you plan on getting the money for this mansion?

D

His kung-fu movies, of course...

That'd be some pretty wacky rice paper...

Stelliform
Apr 23, 2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
So not fair..... I'd love to be able to design and build my own house.... :(

Is there not alot of new homes built in England? I know that where I live it isn't that unrealistic for me to plan on building my own home at some point in my life. The cost is comparable to buying an exsisting home. For my Parents it was cheaper to build since we moved to the city where I currently live during a boom, and exsisting homes were priced much higher than building your own home.

<Man, if my old english teachers saw that last sentence, she would think she was a failure. ;))

howard
Apr 23, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by scem0
I already know what my 'house' is gunna be when I get older,
and richer, etc. I am going to have a Japanese style mantion,
with rice-paper walls and reed covered floors. Which will be
bulletproof, because.... because..... It would just be cool. :D

i LOVE japanese architecture. there old old wood houses with the clay tiles on the roof...the swooping roofs and the porches. and all the lttle bridges going from building to building. its so great. maybe i'll post a big of some of my favorites....

DakotaGuy
Apr 23, 2003, 09:52 AM
That is a nice house. Someday, I need to give up this low salary teaching profession and get a decent job so I can build something like that! I hate the thought of being in a little rented house the rest of my life. You will have to let us see pictures when you get it done.

To all the younger people:

If you want things like this house...don't be a teacher!

howard
Apr 23, 2003, 09:57 AM
so i tryed to attach one of the pics but it said it was too big...how do i get it smaller without loosing the quality?

and is anyone interested? otherwise i'll forget about it

caveman_uk
Apr 23, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Is there not alot of new homes built in England? I know that where I live it isn't that unrealistic for me to plan on building my own home at some point in my life. The cost is comparable to buying an exsisting home. For my Parents it was cheaper to build since we moved to the city where I currently live during a boom, and exsisting homes were priced much higher than building your own home.

<Man, if my old english teachers saw that last sentence, she would think she was a failure. ;))
There are new homes built in England but they usually start out really expensive in the South of the country. Around $300K is about what they start at. I have a small,120 year old, two floor terraced house (about 600 square foot floor area) and it would sell for $280K and that's quite a cheap house where I live. Building a house is not that expensive but land can cost about $50 a square foot - nearer $100 in London

jelloshotsrule
Apr 23, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by howard
so i tryed to attach one of the pics but it said it was too big...how do i get it smaller without loosing the quality?

and is anyone interested? otherwise i'll forget about it

what's the filetype... either resize it to a smaller res... or just use the export from preview.... choose jpg. and in options set the target size to like 95k... should work.

Stelliform
Apr 23, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
There are new homes built in England but they usually start out really expensive in the South of the country. Around $300K is about what they start at. I have a small,120 year old, two floor terraced house (about 600 square foot floor area) and it would sell for $280K and that's quite a cheap house where I live. Building a house is not that expensive but land can cost about $50 a square foot - nearer $100 in London

Yeah, land is cheap here. I am trying to find a price, but I am sure that it is way cheaper than that!

amnesiac1984
Apr 23, 2003, 10:57 AM
Costwise, we bought it with a house on this site, 1930's detatched home for around 180,000, we were going to extend it to make it our dream home, the main thing about it is the position,. Turns out you pay sales tax on extensions but not on new builds. SO its CHEAPER to start from scratch. I think its roughly 80,000 - 100,000 build costs but not sure. Our old house that I grew up in was about 15 miles away in the countryside and we sold it for about 350,000 or something as it was huge and house prices went way up recently here.

My dad is a qualified engineer and yacht designer so designing his dream hosue wasn't too hard for him. We had an architectural consultant helping us get planning permisiion cos the authorities are real bastards round here.

That body of water is the busiest shipping area in the world, thats looking West south west as the hosue look directly west. If you look out the norh side you can see Southamptom. The water is the Solent and the land on the left is the Isle of Wight and on the right is the south coast of england.

If anyone knows the area, its in Gurnard just round the coast from Cowes, centre for world Yachting, house prices have rocketed literally over the last few years, and if this wasn't the house that my folks are gonna retire in it would be worth silly money, your talking probably anything up to half a million pounds, just due to the desireable location. its unlikely it will ever be sold unless the unforseeable happens or until it, maybe, belongs to me and my brothers (two of em).

edit: the canadian builders are basically a father son thing and they are far more efficient than any traditional british bricky, they are shocked at how lame-ass the building industry is in this country. Nothing arrives on time from suppliers and builders lay aroun dall day drinking tea.

iGav
Apr 23, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
There are new homes built in England but they usually start out really expensive in the South of the country. Around $300K is about what they start at. I have a small,120 year old, two floor terraced house (about 600 square foot floor area) and it would sell for $280K and that's quite a cheap house where I live. Building a house is not that expensive but land can cost about $50 a square foot - nearer $100 in London

It's totally insane the house prices in the UK at the moment.... and the mortgages are even more insane, people borrowing way beyond their means.... and when the inevitable recession kicks in what with people owing boatloads of cash on credit and store cards and having 4x mortgages.... then we should see some good repossessions and auctions..... heh heh heh!!

Luckily though the prices in London are falling, and as a general rule London sets the trend for the rest of the country....

I'd still prefer to get my own land and self design and build though.... :(

The majority of new houses being built in England just lack so much style.....

iGav
Apr 23, 2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Yeah, land is cheap here. I am trying to find a price, but I am sure that it is way cheaper than that!

I was looking at land in Tomales Bay/Dillion Beach in Northern California for a self build....

Fantastic locations with great views....

Price wasn't bad either.... I just need to marry an American girl.... and a wealthy one at that heh heh!!

amnesiac1984
Apr 23, 2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by iGAV


The majority of new houses being built in England just lack so much style.....

I agree, althought thats because most new hosues I've seen have been mass built developments of hosues that look identical, its disgusting, and oyu see people going, oooh isn't that nice. I think its down to a serious lack of taste of the general public in this country, why so many people buy PC's :p

Although it doesn't look much from these pics its quite an interesting design, the front is a sort of strange angled massive bay window going way across the front, a huge deck will come out at floor level with a balcony on the first floor. THe massive gap that oyu can see the view out of will be a huge sliding door mechanism that will keep us toasty in winter and cool in summer, the whole ground floor is open plan except the bathroom and my dad's office.

They've jsut started putting the cladding on, its a really nice dark gey/blue which looks real nice with the white trim on the roof. The house is real tall too so when you stand out on the velux windows you can see all over the other buildings to see a 360 view.

iGav
Apr 23, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
I agree, althought thats because most new hosues I've seen have been mass built developments of hosues that look identical, its disgusting, and oyu see people going, oooh isn't that nice. I think its down to a serious lack of taste of the general public in this country, why so many people buy PC's :p

Heh heh.... you seen the Barretts Homes Ad's too then... :eek: :p :p

James.Paul
Apr 23, 2003, 11:40 AM
I've just bought a house in Ingleby Barwick near Middlesbrough. It's quite nice, 2 bedroom semi for 82000 on a nice new estate. Only one problem though!! They all look the same! Knowing my luck I'll come back from the pub a bit bollocksed and crawl into to bed with Mrs Singh from No. 7!!!!

iGav
Apr 23, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by James.Paul
I've just bought a house in Ingleby Barwick near Middlesbrough. It's quite nice, 2 bedroom semi for 82000 on a nice new estate. Only one problem though!! They all look the same! Knowing my luck I'll come back from the pub a bit bollocksed and crawl into to bed with Mrs Singh from No. 7!!!!

Ain't that the truth, however that's if all the 10 year olds that live on these estates don't mug you first.... heh heh!! :p

GeneR
Apr 23, 2003, 04:42 PM
But where's the Bat Cave? Every house needs a Bat Cave. I don't see one. I think you've been holding out on us. ;) :D

Personally, I'd love to do the same thing. And God will I will. But not right now. AND, I'm going to have a Bat Cave. Only it'll be hiding behind a waterfall in the backyard. :D

MacFan25
Apr 23, 2003, 04:45 PM
I like it so far. :D It looks like it is going to be a nice size house. How many square feet?

GeneR
Apr 23, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by James.Paul
I've just bought a house in Ingleby Barwick near Middlesbrough. It's quite nice, 2 bedroom semi for 82000 on a nice new estate. Only one problem though!! They all look the same! Knowing my luck I'll come back from the pub a bit bollocksed and crawl into to bed with Mrs Singh from No. 7!!!!

And that would be a bad thing? :D

scem0
Apr 23, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by howard
i LOVE japanese architecture. there old old wood houses with the clay tiles on the roof...the swooping roofs and the porches. and all the lttle bridges going from building to building. its so great. maybe i'll post a big of some of my favorites....

Japanese architecture is amazing. Here are some pics I like:
http://www.jinjapan.org/access/arch/media/archi_01.jpehttp://www.geocities.com/castlejapan/photos/iga_bp1s.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/castlejapan/photos/kum_ad4s.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/castlejapan/kum_ad1.html
and of course, I want Japanese Zen Gardens:
http://www.japanesegifts.com/images/zenwat.JPG
http://www.explorejapan.com/images/gardview.JPG
Oh, and this Japanese stone lantern is beautiful. I gotta have
one of these:
http://www.explorejapan.com/images/gpagoda.JPG
That's going to be some interesting bulletproof rice-paper......
So how to you plan on getting the money for this mansion?
Well, as G4scott pointed out, kung fu movies would be my
preference, but I am aiming my education to become the
president (or just a worker) of a semiconductor manufacturing
company. :)

amnesiac1984
Apr 23, 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
But where's the Bat Cave?.......



If by that you mean garage, then its up the back, there is a steep drive to the right of the house and the garage, etc is behind, its the same garage from the previous house, we don't need ot replace it. My folks never keep their cars in garages anyway, its used as my dads workshop.



..... And God will I will....

How did, you know my name?

Anyway, other answers, dunno how many square feet but its a good size, my dad is dead against the "live in little boxes" atitude that people have in this country and has been very clever in making use of the whole site, the house before was much smaller. AS for japanese gardens, i'd love one too, but i;m sure the novelty would where off when you spend 8 hours a day looking after it, anyway, although there is a huge garden and forest that we own behind the house, we never used it in the last four years we've been living at the old house because of the watersports playground out front. Some of this countires best sailors learnt to sail at the club in the bay and around the corner, is the worlds largest yacht regatta once a year.

GeneR
Apr 23, 2003, 06:43 PM
I meant a REAL Bat Cave. heh! Just joking. Couldn't resist.

So, your name is "God" or "will"?

:D

amnesiac1984
Apr 23, 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by GeneR
I meant a REAL Bat Cave. heh! Just joking. Couldn't resist.

So, your name is "God" or "will"?

:D

both, :D :D

Oh yeah, we have one of those two, my dad has modded his Skoda Octavia Turbo Diesel to be the newest batmobile.:D :D

3rdpath
Apr 24, 2003, 01:01 AM
what a cool place and view...living on the water must be a dream come true....congrats.

i'm in the process of adding onto my home( master bedroom/ bath and laundry room) from my own design. its been a blast watching the whole thing come together though it is kind of a pain living in the house while the construction is happening. i bribe the crew with a " bottomless" cooler of sodas and water and buy them lunch every friday...they in turn try not to destroy too much of my garden in the process.

i've enjoyed the process (read: problems and solutions) of transfering an idea from drawing to reality...i bet your dad is too. and choosing materials, finish, fixtures and such has been a full time job. my place was built in the early 1900's and updated in 1927...so trying to keep all the new areas historically accurate is a major research project.

best of luck on your new home and post more pics.

James.Paul
Apr 24, 2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by GeneR
And that would be a bad thing? :D

Aye it would, The girlfriend would not be best chuffed!!!!!

amnesiac1984
Apr 24, 2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
what a cool place and view...living on the water must be a dream come true....congrats.

i'm in the process of adding onto my home( master bedroom/ bath and laundry room) from my own design. its been a blast watching the whole thing come together though it is kind of a pain living in the house while the construction is happening. i bribe the crew with a " bottomless" cooler of sodas and water and buy them lunch every friday...they in turn try not to destroy too much of my garden in the process.

i've enjoyed the process (read: problems and solutions) of transfering an idea from drawing to reality...i bet your dad is too. and choosing materials, finish, fixtures and such has been a full time job. my place was built in the early 1900's and updated in 1927...so trying to keep all the new areas historically accurate is a major research project.

best of luck on your new home and post more pics.

Yeah its a dream come true, although we've been living there for three or four years, I'll try to post somethin gof the previous house being demolished. We are now living in the house on hte left as you look in it whihc was up for rent, very handy..

iGav
Apr 24, 2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by James.Paul
Aye it would, The girlfriend would not be best chuffed!!!!!

Depends on whether Mr Singh does the same thing as you after a couple of cheeky ones..... heh heh! :p :p

wdlove
Apr 24, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
There are new homes built in England but they usually start out really expensive in the South of the country. Around $300K is about what they start at. I have a small,120 year old, two floor terraced house (about 600 square foot floor area) and it would sell for $280K and that's quite a cheap house where I live. Building a house is not that expensive but land can cost about $50 a square foot - nearer $100 in London

The median price for a house in Boston is $350,000, but no view. You would need a cool million to get a water view in Massachusetts! ;)

mactastic
Apr 25, 2003, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stelliform
For my Parents it was cheaper to build since we moved to the city where I currently live during a boom, and exsisting homes were priced much higher than building your own home.

Most government efforts are aimed at new construction, not reconstruction. This is why city centers are in decline in many area. Tax benefits are given to those who move up so to speak, into larger houses. In the US if you buy a less expensive house than your current one, you will pay massive taxes on your profit. This tends to push people farther out from the city core to the suburbs creating more traffic, pollution etc. Substantial risks are involved for people who want to build infill projects, including liability for asbestos found, less chance of loan approval, lack of proper zoning for residential developement and community opposition to things other than single family detached houses. In particular in California, since Prop. 13 went into effect, cities view housing as a losing proposition since the taxes collected don't pay for the cost of services the house uses. Cities prefer auto malls and Home Depots that generate sales tax revenue they get to keep.
Anyway, sorry if this is a little off topic, and for my ranting. Housing problems are a particular interest of mine.
By the way, I'm gonna be gettin my masters in architecture soon, so if any of you are feeling like your living arrangement is too ugly... Im focusing on sustainable developement, passive solar, friendly building materials, and automated building systems.