PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Or G5...

jams
Nov 11, 2006, 06:30 AM
hi people

i'm a designer (after effects, photoshop, illustrator mainly) and am wanting a powerful machine to use for freelance at home.

ive been looking at mac pro's but i really dont need the crashes and glitches that ive been hearing about in photoshop and illustrator etc...

by the time the new cs comes out and after effects, i'm sure there will be an even more powerful mac pro. but i dont really want to wait, who really knows when the new cs will be out, does anybody have any thoughts as to how long this whole COMPATIBILITY thing will drag on for??

at work i have a dual 2.5 g5, 2gb ram, 256 graphics, my after effects files do get pretty hefty, i do ok with 2gb ram though.

i want a machine as powerful as my work machine, obviously, preferably faster...

should i...

buy a dual g5 and upgrade in say, 2 years? (which is when i would probably upgrade anyway)

buy a macpro, deal with the issues and hope for the best??

i'd really like to hear peoples thoughts on what they think i should do.

cheers!

Sherman Homan
Nov 11, 2006, 06:42 AM
The issues you raise about buying the latest and greatest have been true since forever. There is always some risk in being a pioneer, some safety in following behind. None of the concerns you have about the next crop of computers will be resolved when they come out. By then the Mac Pros will be rock solid (and slow!) compared to whatever comes next (OctoCore?) I think it has always been that way!

srf4real
Nov 11, 2006, 06:45 AM
ha ha "octocore":p
I like it! Have you trademarked that yet? I'm not buying another computer until they come out with a tele-transporter built in. My g5 will still be running...:cool:

Chone
Nov 11, 2006, 06:48 AM
If you can wait 2 months for CS3... you'll be glad you got the Mac Pro.

Its considerably faster than a Dual G5 and much easier to work with and upgrade, not to mention all new apps being created are now universal binary and some are even intel only (like Lightroom I think). Performance in Photoshop and others is actually decent but you need at least 2GB of RAM.

You DO have an alternative... you can use Windows on your Mac Pro and use the Adobe apps which will be incredibly fast, I do and its not much of a hassle and the speed is incredible. Fact is, CS3 won't be coming much later and for the meantime, CS2 on Rosetta with tons of RAM might be acceptable but CS2 on Windows will crush the G5 you use at work.

Your choice: Personally, I would either wait a bit before CS3 is released of if you want a computer now, then I would get a G5.

MacRumorUser
Nov 11, 2006, 07:07 AM
were talking about buying a G5 and holding on for 2 years... I think in another 6 months when adobe switch to universal, and apps like lightroom are intel only you will be severly kicking yourself, let alone 2 years from now.

Yes there is a little overhead with Rosetta, but a few months of sufference this side of two years, is better than 18 months of sufference after...

Get that Mac Pro - you can always upgrade the processors at a later date to the octo-core chips, and they are far more expandable than the G5.

Blue Velvet
Nov 11, 2006, 07:14 AM
Adobe Creative Suite 3: watch the skies for a May 1st release... ;)

nsbio
Nov 11, 2006, 07:15 AM
If your life/income depends on CS2, get the G5. Around the time CS3 is released there should be another revision of Mac Pros anyway, so even if you buy the "latest and greatest" today you won't have latest and greatest then. And I am sure that you can save some cash now by going G5 (which you could put toward the future latest and greatest MacPro).

However, if you are buying the computer "just for fun", then MacPro is the choice.

MacRumorUser
Nov 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
And I am sure that you can save some cash now by going G5 (which you could put toward the future latest and greatest MacPro).

Read his orginal post. If they buy a G5 they plan to hold onto it for 2 years

should i...

buy a dual g5 and upgrade in say, 2 years? (which is when i would probably upgrade anyway)

6 months of rosetta is better than 18 months of wishing you had bought a mac pro instead.

nsbio
Nov 11, 2006, 09:20 AM
Read his orginal post. If they buy a G5 they plan to hold onto it for 2 years

Planning and actually doing it aren't exactly equivalent things. Besides, G5 would be a perfectly adequate machine for the next two years. And it is not 6 months of rosetta - it is 6 months plus the time it takes to squash major bugs in CS3. Jumping on new software is cool for the geeks, but if you actually depend on the software you have to give it a wait until those geeks are done filling up early adopters' threads titled "Bugs in ( )".

THX1139
Nov 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
If the major part of your work is with non-UB apps in high resolution, then you'd be better off finding a used or refurbished G5 or G5 Quad. I'm using a MacPro 2.66 and have no problems with Photoshop or Dreamweaver... but I've only been working at web resolutions. However, they aren't crashing either.

If you bought a MacPro, you should get more than 2 years unless you do a lot of rendering (3d or video) and use applications that take advantage of more than 4 processors and you need a current machine that takes advantage of that. For Photoshop work, the MacPro has a very long shelf life once the UB comes out early 2007. I can't imagine a MacPro being underpowered for a long time. The software needs to catch-up and then surpass it for that to happen.

The Octo machines that everyone is talking about are overkill for most applications. We are going to start see diminishing returns on machines that favor the power of multiprocessing over the speed of the chip until the sofware is available. More processors is NOT going to help someone who runs applications that are not MP aware, that is, unless they need to run multiple applications simultaneously. But if you're not that type of user, I think that 4 cores (on two processors) is the upper limit of return on investment.

I hate to say it, but the true power for the MacPro doesn't reveal itself unless you boot into Windows.

THX1139
Nov 11, 2006, 04:43 PM
However, if you are buying the computer "just for fun", then MacPro is the choice.

Huh? What about Finalcut Studio? Cinema4d? Modo? Lightwave 3d (not yet but promised any day now)? There are a lot of professional-level applications that are UB. Just because Adobe is lagging, doesn't make the MacPro any less professional. Besides, there is always Windows to boot into. :D

SMM
Nov 11, 2006, 04:58 PM
If you do not have to make the decision for a few weeks, you might find a sweet deal on a quad G5. Then get a MP next year when CS3 is released. Use their combined power for rendering, etc. I am doing this and it is working great.