Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yankee doodle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
hello all i need some suggestions, i would like to purchase a larger hard drive for my macbook, what is the best way to transfer all the old data from old hd to a new hd, i heard of using an external enclosure to do it, but i was wondering are there any other ways that are also quick, and also do i have to use software to do transfer such as migrate assitant, super duper etc, i dont really have to have a backup hd so i kinda stumped here, lastly what hd do you recommend i was pondering between seagate and hitachi, thanks for the help in advance. have gone mac and will never go back:D

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
the external enclosure is the best way cauz then you can keep your previous hd as a backup (backup is important even on a Mac) anyway the only other way i can see is to tranfer your file to another machine or dvd's (but it's slower).
you don't have to use software if you just drag and drop to another networked machine, but you can use carbon copy cloner or super duper if you have an external hd or another mac in firewire target disk mode or an ipod.:D
as for harddrives, beside price go for the ones with the best warranty :D

have gone mac and will never go back:D

amen :D

Yankee doodle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
thanks dead pixel, now if i get the external enclosure do i still need software to do the transfer and also is it a fast process or will it take a while with the external enclosure thanks for the help

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
thanks dead pixel, now if i get the external enclosure do i still need software to do the transfer and also is it a fast process or will it take a while with the external enclosure thanks for the help

First off... try these http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

The list is in the right hand column. If you have a MBP or MB be sure to get the SATA one. As for time. If you are talking FW 400 it could take a while depending on how much data you have to transfer. What you should do is do a complete format of the drive before transferring the data over as to make sure you have as much room as possible for storage.
Oh and make sure you get a cage that supports bus powered devices. (Most do but just pay attention in the description.) The last thing you prob want to do is drag around a power cord to use your external HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.