Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
SpyMac claims that Apple is working on a home accounting application:

Apple is said to be completing development on a new home accounting application that will be sold and bundled with other office products.

The application is expected "later this year", and is the first word of such an application coming from Apple.

A revamp of AppleWorks has been rumored for some time - with indications that Apple acquired part of the team responsible for GoBe Productive - an office suite for BeOS/Linux/Windows.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
wow that would rock. i use quicken now..which i hate. so i actually mostly use just a spreadsheet.

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Finally no more money...

Finally,

I don't like quicken and have been stuck using MS Money through Virtual PC!

I'll take it in a heartbeat!

Angus

Cecret

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2003
I hope this is true. Quicken just doesn't work for me. I would love a simple iapp to manage my checkbook.

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
Quicken competitor doesn't make sense

Isn't a member of Apple's board the president of Intuit? If so, you really think he'd be happy about having Apple create a Quicken competitor?

Grant you, Quicken on the Mac is pretty weak, the interface is very clumsy.

Apple would have to work to support all the electronic banking capabilities that Quicken and MS Money have.

Just a thought....

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I don't see this happening

Intuit has a member on Apples Board(Charles Campbell I believe)

and I just don't see Apple developing something that would compete with Intuit.

I'd like to see it but I just don't believe it would happen.

A

AhmedFaisal

Hmmm no download for Appleworks 6.2.7 yet....

The update is still AppleWorks 6.2.4. Anyone know when they will make an update available?
Cheers,

Ahmed

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Re: I don't see this happening

Originally posted by nuckinfutz
Intuit has a member on Apples Board(Charles Campbell I believe)

and I just don't see Apple developing something that would compete with Intuit.

I'd like to see it but I just don't believe it would happen.

Yeah and QuickBooks Pro is just such a stellar product. Not to mention Intuit has been very quick on releasing Mac products ever since Campbell got on the Apple board years ago...

If you couldn't tell this is S-A-R-C-A-S-M!!!

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
His name is Bill Campbell and

I vote against him every time I get a proxy statement for the Apple stock I own. Not that it has done any good.

Yarddog

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
I seem to remember that Intuit has been trying to drop Quicken for 3 or 4 years now. My understanding is that Apple, in order to get them to keep developing it, put some of its own programmers at Intuit to defray some of the costs of Quicken Mac development. If this is really true, Apple might just be trying to bring quicken mac development in house. I guess they would have to call it something else, but it might still be quicken with a brushed metal interface.

I would hope that they get pocket quicken working with it. I use that a lot.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
accounting software

One of the features will be "remaining time", where you can select "Powerbook 12" with superdrive". It will then tell you in how many months you will be able to buy it.

It will also have basic artificial intelligence, suggesting stuff like "if you just eat bread the next couple of months, you'll be able to get that powerbook two months sooner!"

A

AhmedFaisal

AppleWorks 6.2.7 should be up for DL soon...

... since the link to 6.2.4 Upgrade is dead.
Cheers,

Ahmed

ldjessee

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2003
Indiana
Productivity Packages

Hello,

If Apple is serious about increasing its appeal to customers, it needs to expand and improve at the same time.

I see projects like the X-series, iLife, shake, FCP, logic, and now the productivity applications as the stepping stones Apple is taking to get there.

Just my thoughts.

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
So what if this competes with Intuit products?

I think it's a good idea for Apple to develop their own software.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This sounds like a good idea. It sort of rounds out a future Apple office suite. I just hope Apple doesn't alienate the companies that actually [try to] support their platform.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Thank God!

My wife, who is now a full time mom, just took over doing the finances and complains daily about how slow and buggy Quicken 2003 is. She is about to get the Windows version or MS Money and run them on an old Window box we have sitting here via Timbuktu.

I hope this is true, and I hope is makes everyon realize how lackluster Quicken 2003 on OS X is.

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
Originally posted by Yarddog
I seem to remember that Intuit has been trying to drop Quicken for 3 or 4 years now.

I just received and email yesterday from Intuit about beta testing the upcoming Quicken 2004 (Dakota) So it does look as if they will release a new version of Quicken. I would much rather beta test Apple's if it is coming. I use both Quicken and Quickbooks, and IMO they are both horrible in the Mac environment. Apple should do a Pro and Home version of the software.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
This is a totally off topic statement, but I was reminded of it by the post above about voting against Mr. Intuit on the proxy statements. BTW: I've never thought of this, but I really should be doing that too. Anyways. Is anyone with Apple stock planning on going to the meeting? I've never been to one and I was wondering if I should use my 100 shares to get something.

-Tim

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I used to call Quicken about minor bugs they had ( I think it was Quicken 98 ). They never fixed them in the updates. I bought Quicken 2000 because they really were plugging the 'fact' that they had added 20 or 30 new features. None of these 'features' were useful and I returned it. I did get a chance to beta 2002. For being a beta tester, they sent me a free copy of 2002 (still with bugs from Quicken 98).

Apple may be showing its colors as a software company. You will buy the Mac because of the software. I just hope that iCheckbook will be much better that iCal.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Good!

I was about to buy accounting software, but I am very glad Apple will maybe be doing something along those lines. I'd happily pay for their solution in the hopes that, unlike HyperCard, QuickTime Pro, OpenDoc, etc., it actually gets supported and updated.

Which reminds me...hey, Apple, time for HyperCard X! Oops, forgot, Macs are the "computers for UNIX nerds with lots of cash," not "computers for the rest of us" now...

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
if apple can make it universal, then it'll have market and it would kick quicken's ass. I for example live in Finland and here all the accounting softwares are for PC.. that blows. A native, working mac app would kick ass!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.