PDA

View Full Version : iPod 2 Info?




MacRumors
Apr 23, 2003, 11:31 AM
PowerPage (http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10916) rehashes many of the iPod rumors, and adds a laundry list of other possible features.



Doctor Q
Apr 23, 2003, 11:39 AM
Can you quote some of it? I don't think the PowerPage URL works unless you sign up for an account.

centauratlas
Apr 23, 2003, 11:59 AM
The main feature I want is > 30GB in size! ;-)

marcsiry
Apr 23, 2003, 12:00 PM
Site won't open. Have we discovered a new phenomenon- "Macrumorsdotted?"

Ambrose Chapel
Apr 23, 2003, 12:16 PM
I saw it this morning; they had a roadmap for future portable releases, including a date of May 19 for the 15" update to the new form factor. The 12" update was slated for the fall and then MWSF 04 would have the 17" PB with dual processors or the 970.

As for iPod info, they reprinted the LoopRumors rendering of it, and had the same specs as ThinkSecret I think.

dstorey
Apr 23, 2003, 01:06 PM
works fine for me....must only work in windoze ;) transcript here -

iPod 2 to Incorporate New Music Service (updated)
Wed, 23 Apr 2003, 00:01
from the iPod dept.
jdog

iPod 2According to sources Apple will announce a revision to the iPod MP3 player at a special event on Monday 28 April, 2003. iPod 2 will ship in 15 and 30GB configurations in a new form-factor with its four navigation buttons moved from around the dial controller to just above it.

Sources also indicate that iPod 2 will ship with FireWire 2, a docking cradle and support for USB 2.0 via a FireWire to USB2 adapter. Concept photo by LoopRumors.

The new iPod 2 and corresponding iTunes 4 software revision are rumored to playback files recorded in the new MPEG-4 AAC format announced with the release of QuickTime 6. According to this page on the Apple Web site "AAC provides audio encoding that compresses much more efficiently than older formats such as MP3, yet delivers quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio."

Apple will also reportedly announce a partnership with all of the major music labels to launch a new music download service that distributes files in a locked MPEG-4 AAC format that all iPods and new versions of iTunes will be able to unlock.

Some of the other rumblings we have heard include:

* Color screen
* Video playback
* Pictures playback and slide shows and plug into TV for slide shows
* with music soundtrack
* FM Tuner
* FM modulator
* Replaceable rechargeable OR disposable batteries
* Larger form factor (using standard laptop IDE drives) but therefore larger drives (80GB)
* Two form factors - larger with 2.5-inch IDE drive, smaller (more expensive) with 1.8-inch HDDs like now (better battery life, quiet, holds less, but is smaller)
* Possible support for memory card, (i.e. Compact Flash, Secure Digital, etc.) to act as a digital "hub" for pulling photos off digital cameras in the field
* Music service via .Mac account
................

heykyle
Apr 23, 2003, 01:23 PM
the problem some of you are having is a att otage Traceroute has started ...

traceroute to powerpage.org (216.166.80.55), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 10.25.32.1 (10.25.32.1) 26.771 ms 23.316 ms 7.019 ms
2 24.217.2.153 (24.217.2.153) 22.153 ms 11.689 ms 9.026 ms
3 24.217.63.193 (24.217.63.193) 7.988 ms 5.783 ms 9.712 ms
4 12.124.129.97 (12.124.129.97) 10.361 ms 10.61 ms 6.709 ms
5 gbr6-p40.sl9mo.ip.att.net (12.123.25.30) 21.661 ms 7.718 ms 8.879 ms
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 gbr1-p100.auttx.ip.att.net (12.122.10.110) 35.292 ms 27.139 ms 30.597 ms
9 gar1-p360.auttx.ip.att.net (12.123.133.21) 26.187 ms 27.503 ms 25.36 ms
10 12.124.219.46 (12.124.219.46) 26.429 ms 29.129 ms 35.924 ms
11 lc1.gw3.aus1.texas.net (216.166.60.4) 30.924 ms 25.976 ms 28.798 ms
12 216.166.80.55 (216.166.80.55) 31.119 ms 35.802 ms 25.387 ms

hops 6 & 7 are dead

JtheLemur
Apr 23, 2003, 01:53 PM
Lately PowerPage has sucked the big one, so I'm not sure about it at all - specifically the 'laundry list of other rumblings' - I mean, who cares? We, the MacRumors forum dwellers, could wax idiotic for days about what 'possible' features it 'could' have. Hehehe.

Okay, I'm just upset about the huge downturn in the contecnt of PowerPage. Bah. I was gold when it was just ogrady.org. Now he posts long reviews about the new PowerBooks commenting how "the keyboard, with it's aluminum keys, is one of the best".

Yeah, they're not aluminum. Hmph.

(bitter) :mad:

jethroted
Apr 23, 2003, 02:14 PM
These guys seem a bit out. Half the stuff they say contradicts other more recent rumors, and then they added just about every feature they could think of to the end there. I am not listening to this one.

notkevin
Apr 23, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by dstorey

* Color screen
* Video playback
* Pictures playback and slide shows and plug into TV for slide shows
* with music soundtrack
* FM Tuner
* FM modulator
* Replaceable rechargeable OR disposable batteries
* Larger form factor (using standard laptop IDE drives) but therefore larger drives (80GB)
* Two form factors - larger with 2.5-inch IDE drive, smaller (more expensive) with 1.8-inch HDDs like now (better battery life, quiet, holds less, but is smaller)
* Possible support for memory card, (i.e. Compact Flash, Secure Digital, etc.) to act as a digital "hub" for pulling photos off digital cameras in the field
* Music service via .Mac account
................

I'll take longer battery life and smaller size over all of those (well except the last one :D )

iJon
Apr 23, 2003, 03:08 PM
thats gonna be one ugly ipod if it supports all that stuff. there rumors seem a little far fetched, sounds like they got together and just wrote down everything they hoped would be in an ipod without thinking of it realisticly.

iJon

damax452
Apr 23, 2003, 04:02 PM
This is rediculous, rumors are out of hand now. Im done reading rumor sites, and have lost interest in apple products due to their secrecy. I'm out. :o

voyagerd
Apr 23, 2003, 06:48 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to buy a new iPod MP4 player! Ha!:D

iJon
Apr 23, 2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by damax452
This is rediculous, rumors are out of hand now. Im done reading rumor sites, and have lost interest in apple products due to their secrecy. I'm out. :o
whiner, bye. may i ask exactly you want to know from apple.

iJon

voyagerd
Apr 23, 2003, 07:08 PM
Yeah go make a personal embargo against China since you don't know everything about their government as well!:p

shadowfax
Apr 23, 2003, 09:35 PM
i think there is a reason this is on page 2... i think that is way out there. i doubt they will do a 2.5 inch drive especially, unless they want to make a bigger screen on it and give that video playback, but that would probably cost more. well have to wait and see on monday.

QCassidy352
Apr 24, 2003, 12:24 AM
the new ipods will be the size of a nickel, will have 300 GB hard drives, will be able to project video on to walls, and will be controlled by a neural interface. They will also cost only $30,000 and will be available roughly when hell freezes over and pigs sprout wings.

See? I know as much about it as the guys who wrote that rumor.;) :D :rolleyes:

Tom800
Apr 24, 2003, 06:42 AM
I would seriously get a larger iPod (physically) if it had 80 gig inside. I want the other feature of the current iPod, so won't buy a Creative mp3 player, but really the player should come in two options - massive inside and out, and large inside, small out.

C14ru5
Apr 24, 2003, 08:00 AM
I see no reason why the new iPod should have "Firewire 2" (Firewire 800), and this is why:

Why do you need Firewire 800 if the internal drive is no way capable of such a throughput? Of course, this would be necessary only if Apple were to use a new ultra-fast storage method beyond today's technology... Does this sound a bit like Science Fiction to you?

Also, Firewire 800 would render the iPod incompatible with most of today's computers, since the cables are different. How many Mac users (and PC users) do you know who currently own a Firewire 800 card? Certainly not many consumers, as apple has provided this only in their professional line of machines. A small hint: The iPod is a CONSUMER product, not a professional one.

MorganX
Apr 24, 2003, 08:40 AM
If Apple requires a paid .mac account to use the new online music service, I think it will have a negative impact on the success fo the service. :rolleyes:

zarathustra
Apr 24, 2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by C14ru5
Also, Firewire 800 would render the iPod incompatible with most of today's computers, since the cables are different. How many Mac users (and PC users) do you know who currently own a Firewire 800 card? Certainly not many consumers, as apple has provided this only in their professional line of machines. A small hint: The iPod is a CONSUMER product, not a professional one.

FireWire 800 is backwards compatible with FireWire 400. You just need the small 9 pin FW800 plug to 6 pin FW400 plug converter. Pretty sure it would be in the box, alongside the FW to USB2 converter.

I could see them going FW800 "just for ****s and giggles", to get ready when they can take advantage of FW800, plus the FW 800 plug is MUCH smaller, making for a more elegant plug on the iPod.

macdong
Apr 24, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
If Apple requires a paid .mac account to use the new online music service, I think it will have a negative impact on the success fo the service. :rolleyes:


That won't happen unless Apple doesn't want to sell their music service to Windoze users EVER.

MorganX
Apr 24, 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by macdong
That won't happen unless Apple doesn't want to sell their music service to Windoze users EVER.

You don't have to have a mac to have a .mac account. Works with Windows.

I only mention it because one of the rumor sites attached having a .mac account with using the online service.

I think the service will be very successful as long as there are no additional fees such as a .mac subscription.

FlamDrag
Apr 24, 2003, 05:33 PM
I'd expected it to be marketed as "A .mac account is included." Not - "required" and have you pay extra.

iJon
Apr 24, 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by MorganX
You don't have to have a mac to have a .mac account. Works with Windows.

I only mention it because one of the rumor sites attached having a .mac account with using the online service.

I think the service will be very successful as long as there are no additional fees such as a .mac subscription.
well you cant use the backup software, you cant use virex, cant use the homepage editor, which are very big selling points for .mac. but you can use the email and idisk which are two main things, just cant do everything.

iJon

Kid Red
Apr 24, 2003, 10:16 PM
Apple will also reportedly announce a partnership with all of the major music labels to launch a new music download service that distributes files in a locked MPEG-4 AAC format that all iPods and new versions of iTunes will be able to unlock.



That doesn't mean we can't burn the songs does it or do you simply burn from in iTunes? Does Toast read and burn ACC files?