Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baraqyal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I'm in grad school, and I need something to use for papers. It doesn't have to be a desktop replacement or anything - I'll only be using it for word and excel, no photoshop, internet, games, etc.

I'm seriously considering a Mac because of what I perceive to be superior battery life. I don't want to go buy a cheapy dell and have it die on me after an hour or two of work. What I need is something that will last for 4-5 hours, is fairly small and light. Speed is not important, but price is.

I've been looking at a G3 iBook. I could pick up a 500mhz shipped for $288 from geeks.com with 256mb ram/10gig/airport card. Just guessing, but it looks like a new battery would run in the $100 range, so I'd be looking at about $388 total.

I've also looked briefly at the clamshell G3s, but they seem slower, more expensive and seem sort of feminine.

I was originally thinking about picking up a basic refurb macbook, then reselling it next year, but I think I'd probably take a bigger loss on it than the cost of a 500mhz iBook.

Is there another option I should consider?

abbottpc.com

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
I agree that the iBook would be good for what you are looking to do. I would suggest that you try to get a 14 inch instead of a 12 inch. The bigger screen helps out when doing papers.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I'm in grad school, and I need something to use for papers. It doesn't have to be a desktop replacement or anything - I'll only be using it for word and excel, no photoshop, internet, games, etc.

I'm seriously considering a Mac because of what I perceive to be superior battery life. I don't want to go buy a cheapy dell and have it die on me after an hour or two of work. What I need is something that will last for 4-5 hours, is fairly small and light. Speed is not important, but price is.

I've been looking at a G3 iBook. I could pick up a 500mhz shipped for $288 from geeks.com with 256mb ram/10gig/airport card. Just guessing, but it looks like a new battery would run in the $100 range, so I'd be looking at about $388 total.

I've also looked briefly at the clamshell G3s, but they seem slower, more expensive and seem sort of feminine.

I was originally thinking about picking up a basic refurb macbook, then reselling it next year, but I think I'd probably take a bigger loss on it than the cost of a 500mhz iBook.

Is there another option I should consider?

I would go with it. The G3 should suit you if that is the only thing you are going to do on it. I did have one and loved if just to use on the internet but got to be too slow for me

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The bigger screen helps out when doing papers.

ehhhhhhhhh.

i'm thankful i got a 12 and not a 14. the display isn't stretched, it's easier to carry around, it's very compact and you get used to the slightly smaller space.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I agree that the iBook would be good for what you are looking to do. I would suggest that you try to get a 14 inch instead of a 12 inch. The bigger screen helps out when doing papers.

I don't agree with this. Part of the draw of the iBook is its portability. The 14 incher is too big to lug around on a day to day basis.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would be looking for a 1.33 GHz 12" G4 iBook which has all the latest features, scrolling trackpad, along with legal copies of Tiger and iLife.
you might need to spend a bit more, but you'll have a better machine overall.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I have a G3/800 iBook and it will be fine with just doing papers. A G4 would be a nice improvement but not necessary. And gas much ram as your budget allows. And yes the clamshells are overpriced for what they were esp. with the 800 x 600 res, compared to the 1024 x 768. IMHO i like the 12 very light and easy to carry around (I use one at school for taking notes and doing some papers.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I would be looking for a 1.33 GHz 12" G4 iBook which has all the latest features, scrolling trackpad, along with legal copies of Tiger and iLife.
you might need to spend a bit more, but you'll have a better machine overall.

...and of course, if you spend a "bit more" than that, you can buy a new MacBook. :rolleyes:

Jakk

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
How about PowerBook G4 12"
Just pay a little more and you will get a better and more durable machine.

G4 1g is enough for you. Don't forget to have an airport in it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would certainly pay extra for a G4 notebook with Airport these days especially around campus.

You might also consider a mini with a cheap display if portability is not too big of an issue.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Just pay a little more and you will get a better and more durable machine.

i'm pretty sure that a 12 inch ibook is more durable than a 12 inch powerbook.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
If you're only going to use it for word processing and some internet use, the G3 iBook will suit you nicely. I'd get 512 MB RAM if you're looking to run Panther or Tiger, unless you want to run Jaguar (Mac OS 10.2) on it, which also would be fine for your purposes. I've heard that the G3 iBook had a nicer keyboard than the iBook G4 (which has a decent keyboard itself), and it is a very durable little machine with great battery life. As long as you aren't expecting this laptop to pull any performance miracles, I think you'll be happy. You didn't specify in your post, but I'd also spring for a DVD drive if it doesn't have one; a DVD drive alone can keep old laptops useful as portable players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.