Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoupe94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Just want to say this is my first post so hello. So, I'm going to be going to school as a music major, and plan on doing some recording not only for school, but also for my 2 bands (guitar player). Ive been looking around for a decent budget home studio setup and the Alesis iO|14 seems like a nice interface since it is firewire and has 24 bit and supposedly up to 192kbs recording, but i have no experience with Alesis or any of their products. I would also like to know if this can be used with garage band, or should i go for a more professional editing program. I'll be doing the recording with a macbook, if that matters.

the link button isnt working for some strange reason heres a link

<a href="http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=95">Alesis iO|14</a>

rogerrj

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2006
I have an IO/26, the big brother. It works with Logic and GarageBand just fine on my Powerbook.

Just want to say this is my first post so hello. So, I'm going to be going to school as a music major, and plan on doing some recording not only for school, but also for my 2 bands (guitar player). Ive been looking around for a decent budget home studio setup and the Alesis iO|14 seems like a nice interface since it is firewire and has 24 bit and supposedly up to 192kbs recording, but i have no experience with Alesis or any of their products. I would also like to know if this can be used with garage band, or should i go for a more professional editing program. I'll be doing the recording with a macbook, if that matters.

the link button isnt working for some strange reason heres a link

<a href="http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=95">Alesis iO|14</a>

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Hm for $300 I would strongly question the sound quality or ability of this thing recording @ 24/192. But should be a good device. Boxes from the Presonus company are very popular also, as well as MOTU if you are still shopping around.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hm for $300 I would strongly question the sound quality or ability of this thing recording @ 24/192. But should be a good device. Boxes from the Presonus company are very popular also, as well as MOTU if you are still shopping around.

Do you mean, you question whether Alesis is lying when they say it records at rates up to 192 KHz?
Or you question the sound quality of this $300 device when compared to $600 and $1000 devices?
Is your question based on knowledge, or a supposition based solely on the price?

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
That box should be fine. But you should be aware that most people spend at least $1200 or more on box to get good 24/192.

Something like the Apogee Ensemble.

So yes, at $300 I would question the sound quality of that device at 24/192.
BUT! It should be fine for any sane sample rates I would imagine.

I do know the alesis multimix FW models are very popular.

Is your question based on knowledge, or a supposition based solely on the price?

You get what you pay for. :)

This is a good forum to browse about equipment. Lots of good info:
http://www.gearspace.com/board/

You can get more feedback there. Lots of recording tech pros.

And this one is pretty good:
http://bigbluelounge.com/forums/index.php

SunnyBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
I have an IO/26, the big brother. It works with Logic and GarageBand just fine on my Powerbook.

rogerrj, I'm dying to find out more about the alesis iO/26, since it's not yet available in Europe. Can you write us a more detailed "review", please? How are the pres, the converters, the drivers? Does it work on Panther 10.3.9 or do I have to upgrade to 10.4? Thank you so much (in advance)!!!

rogerrj

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2006
I'm using it with Logic 7.2 with OS 10.4. This is mandatory for this version of Logic. I suppose it will be ok with 10.39, but I don't know for sure.

As far as using it with Logic it's great. No latency issues and the HDM control panel software makes it easy to set up mixes off your inputs. I've actually run in 24 tracks to Logic using a HD24 recorder.

You can do 192k recording, but you are limited to 4 of the analog inputs. The mic pre's sound good I've done some acoustic recording with drums, guitars and vocals. While it's no Neve it sounds nice and clean. No problems. I like the feel of the piece. It's solid and very portable. Nice for my Laptop when I'm recording at my friends nice studio.

What else do you want to know?

rogerrj, I'm dying to find out more about the alesis iO/26, since it's not yet available in Europe. Can you write us a more detailed "review", please? How are the pres, the converters, the drivers? Does it work on Panther 10.3.9 or do I have to upgrade to 10.4? Thank you so much (in advance)!!!

SunnyBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
Thank you, rogerrj, for your very useful information. I can't really think of anything else right now, but I'll certainly come up with other questions, if you don't mind, when the i/O 26 will be available over here.

rogerrj

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2006
I don't have a clue when they'll be in Europe. You should call a dealer and have them ask.

Thank you, rogerrj, for your very useful information. I can't really think of anything else right now, but I'll certainly come up with other questions, if you don't mind, when the i/O 26 will be available over here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.