PDA

View Full Version : Why did apple switch iPods to USB instead of FireWire?

imacintel
Nov 12, 2006, 11:21 AM
Is it simply because USB is cheaper and mor popular? Or is it for an other reason? aI really would love it if my iPOd was FW.

bartelby
Nov 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe because of PeeCee users not having Firewire as standard.

Markleshark
Nov 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
I love the firewire, but it'll be a cost cutting thing, PeeCees and Macs can use USB2, so why put Firewire AND USB2 in the box? Saying that, my Mac doesn't like me using USB2 for my iPod Mini, gawd knows why, but it just wont play ball.

imacintel
Nov 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
Maybe because of PeeCee users not having Firewire as standard.

I am sorry, but every dell, hp and pretty much every modern (2 years old at least) has FireWire. my bor's laptop has it, my dads laptop has it, my iMac has it, my HP desktop has it, my PB has it.

bartelby
Nov 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Didn't Apple supply FW cards if you ordered a "PC" iPod?
Or is my old memory failing again...

Bluefusion
Nov 12, 2006, 11:32 AM
The simple reason is that the Firewire architecture requires more physical space than a USB architecture (having something to do with the fact that USB devices are either master or slave but FireWire is always able to be both). In order for the new iPods to be so thin, they couldn't have a fully-functioning FireWire port. This is also why you can charge the 5G iPods over FireWire, but can't sync--they have the ability to get power over the cable, but not anything more sophisticated.

It's likely also cheaper, but not significantly so.

tdhurst
Nov 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
The simple reason is that the Firewire architecture requires more physical space than a USB architecture (having something to do with the fact that USB devices are either master or slave but FireWire is always able to be both). In order for the new iPods to be so thin, they couldn't have a fully-functioning FireWire port. This is also why you can charge the 5G iPods over FireWire, but can't sync--they have the ability to get power over the cable, but not anything more sophisticated.

It's likely also cheaper, but not significantly so.

Yep, that's exactly why. Frustrating for Mac users, but it's nice having such a thin iPod.