Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hey guys,

I posted here a little while ago about my delivery time being a lot longer than I expected for my C2D 15" MBP... I was mad because I ordered my computer on the 25th from my college computer store (had to do this so I can buy the computer with a college fund that I have) and the expected ship date was the 3rd of November. Well, I called my university store on the 3rd, and they told me the ship date had been moved to the 9th. I then called them on the 9th, and they told me to call on the 10th to get my tracking number... I was elated that I was gonna finally get my computer.

Well, after calling on the 10th, they told me my delivery date had been moved to the 28th of November... over a MONTH after I ordered my computer. I am so pissed I can't believe it. I got the number of my university's apple rep (who gets them the computers from apple) and gave him a call to express my discontent with this ship time. He goes on to inform me that "he knows for a fact that no C2D MBPs have shipped out yet."

I called his bluff, and he just shrugged it off... I told him a bunch of people here had gotten their computers over a week ago, and he just told me that "you cant trust people from sites like macrumors." I then informed him that I desperately needed the computer before thanksgiving weekend (need to have the computer for a trip so that I can do work), and he said he'd try and help me.

I felt like this guy was just blowing smoke up my behind, so I decided to bypass him, and called apple directly. After two hours on the phone, one of the managers told me he'd file a "complaint" and try to get the computer shipped out earlier... sounds like a load of crap to me. I have to mention here, that though I'm extremely angry, I was very polite to all of the people on the phone.. I know that if you want someone to help you, you have to treat them with respect--no one likes a raging customer.

Anyways, I ended up getting an email from my university yesterday telling me that their apple rep had got the computer to ship a week from next friday so that I could get it thanksgiving weekend. Uh, I don't know what he was thinking, but thats only 4 days before the original ship date, and the 24th is right in the middle of thanksgiving weekend--little help to me.

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for me to get this computer shipped out earlier.. I REALLY do need it before thanksgiving weekend, and feel like I have tried all my options. Im gonna give this apple rep a call on Monday and tell him (lie to him) that my computer is having kernel panics, and Im unable to do any school work unless I use my roomates computer--maybe that will have some effect. Anybody else have any ideas? I really appreciate anybody who has taken the time to read this and give any suggestions.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i feel your pain. i dont know what else you could do besides what you have done. any chance you could go to the apple store and pick yours up and cancel the one that is supposable shipping? just a thought

Mlebout

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Quebec, Canada
Hey guys,

I posted here a little while ago about my delivery time being a lot longer than I expected for my C2D 15" MBP... I was mad because I ordered my computer on the 25th from my college computer store (had to do this so I can buy the computer with a college fund that I have) and the expected ship date was the 3rd of November. Well, I called my university store on the 3rd, and they told me the ship date had been moved to the 9th. I then called them on the 9th, and they told me to call on the 10th to get my tracking number... I was elated that I was gonna finally get my computer.

Well, after calling on the 10th, they told me my delivery date had been moved to the 28th of November... over a MONTH after I ordered my computer. I am so pissed I can't believe it. I got the number of my university's apple rep (who gets them the computers from apple) and gave him a call to express my discontent with this ship time. He goes on to inform me that "he knows for a fact that no C2D MBPs have shipped out yet."

I called his bluff, and he just shrugged it off... I told him a bunch of people here had gotten their computers over a week ago, and he just told me that "you cant trust people from sites like macrumors." I then informed him that I desperately needed the computer before thanksgiving weekend (need to have the computer for a trip so that I can do work), and he said he'd try and help me.

I felt like this guy was just blowing smoke up my behind, so I decided to bypass him, and called apple directly. After two hours on the phone, one of the managers told me he'd file a "complaint" and try to get the computer shipped out earlier... sounds like a load of crap to me. I have to mention here, that though I'm extremely angry, I was very polite to all of the people on the phone.. I know that if you want someone to help you, you have to treat them with respect--no one likes a raging customer.

Anyways, I ended up getting an email from my university yesterday telling me that their apple rep had got the computer to ship a week from next friday so that I could get it thanksgiving weekend. Uh, I don't know what he was thinking, but thats only 4 days before the original ship date, and the 24th is right in the middle of thanksgiving weekend--little help to me.

Basically, I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for me to get this computer shipped out earlier.. I REALLY do need it before thanksgiving weekend, and feel like I have tried all my options. Im gonna give this apple rep a call on Monday and tell him (lie to him) that my computer is having kernel panics, and Im unable to do any school work unless I use my roomates computer--maybe that will have some effect. Anybody else have any ideas? I really appreciate anybody who has taken the time to read this and give any suggestions.

Your ship dates aren't good for the system you ordered. But, it seems from what I've been reading that edu discount clients don't get preferred shipping dates. I personally don't think anything you say to an Apple rep will help.

I had a shipping date, but it was delayed.

Good luck...

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
i would have bought the computer directly from apple (or from an apple store) if it wasn't for the fact that I have to buy the computer from my university store if I want to be able to use my college fund to pay for the computer (which is a necessity for me).

And yeah, I think apple gives HIGH preference to orders directly from apple.com over those of education orders... its pretty ridiculous to let that preference extend educational purchases' ship times to over a month after the order date though.

I actually dreamt that I got the computer last night (but with a screen that had severe discoloration issues). Regardless, I was so elated that I had it.... god, I cant WAIT to get this computer. Any other suggestions? Or has anybody had any experience with what Im going through?

EDIT: Also, anybody know of a problem I could tell this guy from apple that my computer is having? Something that would make it impossible to use the computer? (ie a problem during start up)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Wow, that sucks, dude. I ordered a BTO MBP 15" through the developer store online on Nov. 1st, and it shipped out the 5th and was here the 8th (a week later). That's terrible that they delay education orders by THAT much.

But, like dukebound85 said, I'm not sure what else you could do..

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I see many posts on the web people are experiencing the prolonged delay in getting the C2D MBP from Apple. I thought the delay was only for 17" MBP. It seems even 15" MBP is back-ordered. I guess I was lucky I was able to pick it up about 10 days ago from the local Apple Store (in the busy shopping mall). It seems there is something up at their production lines in China. So far I have been lucky with all of Apple products (Ti, 2 PBs, and iBook). I am hoping my lucky streak covers this new MBP.

unce

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Never ever buy from your university bookstore...

My friend bought macbook from our university, it was a dead on arrival. he went to exchange. and the guy at the store said, SORRY WE DONT DO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES. WTF?

So my friend had to do it directly with apple and had to wait a month for it.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
In my experience (purchasing a Powerbook from my Uni) it came really fast -- it arrived in about 5 days. Unfortunately, I found a better deal on some forums, so I bought another person's Powerbook instead, for much cheaper. The Uni didn't make me buy the custom Powerbook, though... just offered it for sale on the floor.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
anybody know of a problem that would cause a computer to not start up? (ie a freeze during start up). I have a dual 1ghz g4, and I need to fabricate an excuse to get this computer shipped out sooner .. I just want to be sure its a very believable one.

dvs

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
same thing happened to me

My story is about the same. Ordered a MBP (2.16 GHz, 2MB, 160 GB) through my university bookstore on October 30. Was told a week later that it was expected to ship on November 9. Today I was told that the ship date has been pushed back to November 28. Throughout all this time, the Apple Store web site has said this model ships in 1-3 days. My salesman is trying to get an explanation out of Apple but no luck so far. I'd be interested to know whether anyone has seen these kinds of delays when ordering directly from Apple, with or without an educational discount.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
anybody know of a problem that would cause a computer to not start up? (ie a freeze during start up). I have a dual 1ghz g4, and I need to fabricate an excuse to get this computer shipped out sooner .. I just want to be sure its a very believable one.

What a silly excuse :p

Just say you are leaving the country in 5 days, and won't be back till 4 months later. That will get them cracking. "Why are you leaving the country?" "None of your fracking business, just do your GD job"

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What a silly excuse :p

Just say you are leaving the country in 5 days, and won't be back till 4 months later. That will get them cracking. "Why are you leaving the country?" "None of your fracking business, just do your GD job"

LOL!

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
UPDATE: I went to my university bookstore today to check the status of my order (not expecting it to have changed) and to my COMPLETE surprise, my computer has been SHIPPED! I couldn't believe it when I looked at the order status and saw shipped and "in Shanghai" on the page. Im so damn happy... thank god. So, for anybody in a similiar scenario, i guess it really does help to call your school's apple rep, and also the apple education store hotline (1800 - 800 - 2775) as well. Be sure to be polite to everyone you talk to (cant stress this enough), and ask for a manager (the regular reps said that nothing could be done).

Im really surprised that my complaints were actually listened to, and acted on.. when the guy at apple said he'd file a complaint, I assumed absolutely nothing would happen. Props to apple service for expediting this for me...

EDIT: dvs, I tried asking the people at my university store to do something as well, and they did jack. If you want it to be sent out faster, I suggest calling apple yourself. Ask your university for the name of their apple sales rep, and for your PO#. Call him, and the apple hotline (its what I did, and it worked). The reps dont care about your order anywhere close to as much as you do, so doing this directly will have much more effect. Hope this helps--I know how annoying the scenario is.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
WOW (sorry to update this thread again, but I have to share my excitement)... after being shipped out just yesterday, the computer is arriving today at 3:00! Theres no way this thing could have gotten to me any faster after I expressed my complaint to the apple reps. This is awesome

diadem

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Glasgow
Have to say I used the online store I have from SAE Edu online store my will be dispatched on the 16th delivery is set for 22nd not bad I would say.

dillacom

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2006
well I ordered mine on the 13th of october... it is showing up tomorrow the 15th of Nov. granted the C2D was in the middle of that and they upgraded me but damn it has taken over a month!

spookje

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
I ordered my MacBook Pro (2.33ghz/160gig) 9 november and the arrival date is shifting between 10 january and 5 december so don't complain. Really odd it keeps changing on a daily basis. Slow people in China :(

dvs

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
dvs, I tried asking the people at my university store to do something as well, and they did jack. If you want it to be sent out faster, I suggest calling apple yourself. Ask your university for the name of their apple sales rep, and for your PO#. Call him, and the apple hotline (its what I did, and it worked). The reps dont care about your order anywhere close to as much as you do, so doing this directly will have much more effect. Hope this helps--I know how annoying the scenario is.

Thanks--but too late. I canceled the bookstore order and ordered the same machine direct from Apple. Supposed to ship by tomorrow; I'll post an update when I know more.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
WOW (sorry to update this thread again, but I have to share my excitement)... after being shipped out just yesterday, the computer is arriving today at 3:00! Theres no way this thing could have gotten to me any faster after I expressed my complaint to the apple reps. This is awesome

I'm happy for you, i hope your MBP is great. I ordered through my University on Oct 30th (2.33/3GB/160GB/matte), original ship date Nov. 8, now Nov. 27.
No amount of talking, cajoling, pleading or arguing with reps and managers seems to help, despite the fact that normal (non edu) customers are receiving the same machines in a quarter of the time (one or two people i spoke to at Apple even admitted they know of big delays in certain orders, but they 'can't do anything about it'), nor that my uni orders tens of thousands of dollars worth from apple every week.
I'm about to go overseas for business, and though sales mangers have promised to try and speed up the order it feels like a bunch of BS after over a week with no change. One thing they did tell me, is that i can use my order number to pick up a machine at an apple store. So, anyone who has ordered a stock machine using edu may be able to get it fast, at the good price. Assuming, of course, you want a stock machine... :) For everyone else who has ordered a CTO machine with an edu discount, good luck! I recommend complaining, if only to kill some time while you wait.

Operator911

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
Yup, I ordered mine October 26th through my institution's educational store, a MBP 15" C2D with 160 gb hd, and initially was supposed to have a ship date of November 6th.

Well the letter came and then I found I got a ship date of November the 30th. Man am I pissed - that's a huge delay between order date and ship date given that the regular store gets shipment supposedly in 3 days.

Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul. Apple obviously "cares" about their educational customers.:mad:

dvs

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Update: Got the email this morning saying my order has shipped. So the gamble of canceling my university bookstore order (after waiting two weeks) and ordering my CTO 15" Macbook Pro direct through the Apple Store for Education (three days ago) seems to have paid off. Now we'll see if the machine arrives before Thanksgiving!

oldwatery

Suspended
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I oredered my BTO 15" through an Apple reseller on the 10th. I just found out it will not ship till the 28th. I am so mad:mad:
My TiBook is dying and I need this like now.
I called Apple and got the usual "it's in heavy demand" BS.
I guess this is one of those times when patience is a virtue.
I suspect something is going on here....like manufacturing problems or the like? Maybe the screen issue?
Does that mean all of us waiters might get a rev2 machine?
Such intrigue :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.