PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth & Airport: same modules in G5 and MacPro?

moreover
Nov 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm wondering whether I can install the bluetooth and airport extreme cards from my G5 (dual 1.8) in the Mac Pro (not yet bought). I may decide to leave them in the G5 in hopes that it increases the poor resale value but sometimes the decked out machines yield just as little as the stock models.

robbieduncan
Nov 13, 2006, 11:10 AM
I'm fairly certain that they are different and that you can't transfer them. If I was in the market for a second hand G5 I'd be more likely to buy one with WiFi/Bluetooth...

tye1138
Nov 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
The 2003-early 2005 G5 used the standard Airport Extreme card. From late 2005 - early 2006, it was an extended airport extreme card, same one found in the last 1.67ghz powerbooks. The new Mac Pro uses a very similar card too the Macbook/Macbook Pro, BUT sadly its an 802.11N card, which is the new format and the Macbook Pro card's arn't supported because of that.

So, make a long story short, there is no card on the market that will work in the Mac Pro at this time available to the public. Apple is shipping the correct card with CTO computers ONLY at this time. We are expecting the release of those cards any day now.