PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow? Zune-killer?

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
How surprised would all of you be if Apple released a "Zune-killer" tomorrow?

eb6
Nov 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
it was released years ago...iPod.

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 11:33 AM

True enough... but do you think Apple might one-up the Zune the day it's released? I know we'd all get a kick out of it, but is it Apple's style to release a product on a rival's big day just because it their rival's big day?

I donno... with all the partnering between M$ and Apple these days, it would strain relations a great deal.

Rojo
Nov 13, 2006, 11:47 AM
The current iPod models are already better than Zune, so no need to offer anything else to steal its thunder. If you mean the fabled "true video ipod," I seriously doubt we'll see it tomorrow -- as they wouldn't just place it on the market as a surprise. They'd want to have some sort of big event to announce it, and that's usually tipped off by an invite at least a week prior.

Markleshark
Nov 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah, Apple wouldn't want to go to the added risk of having their thunder stolen either, thinking about it. No point, we all want to see the Zune fail without having to spend all our cash on a new iPod just yet.

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 12:08 PM
Good points all around. My logical "Apple" side says there's no way. My wishful "unicorn" side still hopes. ;)

So how about before Thanksgiving... anything?

Rojo
Nov 13, 2006, 12:13 PM
So how about before Thanksgiving... anything?

I think the iPods Apple has now are just fine enough for the holiday season. The new nanos and shuffle alone are going to kill.

Whenever the true video iPod comes out, I'm assuming it's going to be more than just a larger screen. I bet it ends up being something rather revolutionary and mega-cool. This means it might take a little longer for Apple to produce it. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait...

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
the zune will crash and burn, enough said

archurban
Nov 13, 2006, 12:26 PM
I will check it out tomorrow how it will be sucks :D

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 12:29 PM

They really are, big, ugly and...

... well...

ugly.

But M$ is no doubt willing to lose billions with a capital B to hurt Apple. I wouldn't plan on the Zune going away any time zoon.

... get it? I spelled "soon" "zoon"... it's a joke... get it? Heh... heh-heh... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... nevermind.

Rojo
Nov 13, 2006, 01:39 PM
But M$ is no doubt willing to lose billions with a capital B to hurt Apple. I wouldn't plan on the Zune going away any time zoon.

I wouldn't either.
While I think the actual device is going to suck, and it won't make much of a dent in Apple's dominance in this market for some time, I'm starting to believe that Zune buyers will gradually grow over a long period.

It will NOT be because the Zune will become a better device than the iPod, though.
No -- the reason people might buy a Zune will be SOLELY due to the fact that iPods are over-saturated. And there is always that segment of the population who will gravitate towards something -- even if it's an inferior product -- simply because the majority isn't. They hate the fact that everyone owns an iPod, and they will choose a Zune simply to "be different." Or at least fool themselves into thinking they're different.

I know... it's a silly reason to choose a Zune. But it's the ONLY thing that might keep the Zune around and not die a quick death. (I can't tell you how many people I know who listen to REALLY crappy unknown bands with zero musical talent, and the only reason they give for being fans is that "no one else is listening to them.")

But to go back on-topic again, I think Apple feels no need to rush out a 6gen iPod -- just like they feel no need to rush out Leopard to steal Vista's thunder. Their main concern is putting out a quality product, not rushing to compete with products they know will be inferior.

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 01:59 PM
its ugly as hell, i would never buy it

musicpenguy
Nov 13, 2006, 02:21 PM
Or another possiblility some Windows users hate Apple so much they will buy a Zune out of hate of Apple. And they just can't admit that Apple does it right!

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 02:31 PM
Or another possiblility some Windows users hate Apple so much they will buy a Zune out of hate of Apple. And they just can't admit that Apple does it right!
yeah didnt think of that one yet :p

SMM
Nov 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

Nice!

ClassicFitness
Nov 13, 2006, 03:43 PM

This is sad, but true!! Sometimes people can't see evolution and quality in a product...even if it's out for five years. And btw, M$ is 5 years late with that zoune (genitals;) ).

cecildk9999
Nov 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
... get it? I spelled "soon" "zoon"... it's a joke... get it? Heh... heh-heh... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... nevermind.

I was in just the right mood to get a laugh out of that one; thanks for the humor :p

But seriously, the Zune could have a real niche market in replacing the brick as a through the window death threat (coupled with an eerie or ominous song). Or building a new brick house. I'm surprised they haven't paired up with Lego or Duplo for marketing yet. You wait: it'll be in the cards.

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
This is sad, but true!! Sometimes people can't see evolution and quality in a product...even if it's out for five years. And btw, M$ is 5 years late with that zoune (genitals;) ).

All of this Zoon nonsense might be scary if Apple was going to stop with their current gen. However... given that M$ is coming to market now with something pretty darned comperable to the 5.5g (with the addition of wireless) and Apple is 85% done with the next gen, I ain't scurred. :cool:

jTreu
Nov 13, 2006, 04:06 PM
i think they might just to get some sales from MS through the holiday season, if they do it will probably be $450 model with widescreen or something special.

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 04:07 PM
... as a through the window death threat (coupled with an eerie or ominous song)...

::Holding a Guiness::

BRILLIANT!

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 04:07 PM
I was in just the right mood to get a laugh out of that one; thanks for the humor :p

But seriously, the Zune could have a real niche market in replacing the brick as a through the window death threat (coupled with an eerie or ominous song). Or building a new brick house. I'm surprised they haven't paired up with Lego or Duplo for marketing yet. You wait: it'll be in the cards.next month they will rename it the "music brick" or something stupid like that

emotion
Nov 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
Brown iPods tomorrow it is then...

:)

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 04:11 PM

:)brown u say? or maybe a marble color?

MrFirework
Nov 13, 2006, 04:13 PM

:)

How completely, utterly perfectly M$ is it to introduce a brown "iPod Killer"?

Only an evil monopoly company could really believe this is the best course of action.

"We need to distinguish ourselves from the Apple crowd... and we don't wanna look like we're copying them. So get a screen above, and a wheel below, because that worked real well for the iPod. Next make the whole thing enormous and brown. That should throw the consumers off our path. Can we make it smell like Stawberry Shortcake? Bob? Hey Bob...? Can we make it smell like Strawberry Shortcake? No? No-go? Okay, that'll be version 2.0. We've got a winner here guys!"

:D :D

macg4
Nov 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
or brown like the crap it is?

plinden
Nov 13, 2006, 04:24 PM
I'm going to go against the flow here and say that I think the Zune is going to be a success.

This is despite the odd points system (79 points per song = 99c per song), the fact that you have to buy points in $5 increments (meaning you're giving MS an interest free loan and you'll have to buy $385 worth of songs to not have points left over), the fact that MS are screwing their existing PlayForSure customers by not supporting it, fact that it's 2x thicker than the iPod with video.

After all, since when did mediocrity prevent success? Look at how bad Windows was up to SP2, look at how bad MySpace is currently.

No, I think there's been enough buzz generated for MS to sell plenty of them. They might not outsell iPods any time soon, if ever, but there'll be plenty of teenagers out there who'll get their parents to buy them one, and plenty of Apple antifanbois who'll buy anything but Apple.

noel4r
Nov 13, 2006, 06:17 PM
How surprised would all of you be if Apple released a "Zune-killer" tomorrow?

I would be very surprised because it's not going to happen.

Tom B.
Nov 13, 2006, 06:55 PM
On the surface, the Zune may look like it matches the iPod's features pretty well, but that is just not the case; it doesnít have a single standard iPod amenity: no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module. Incredibly, you canít even use the Zune as an external hard drive, as you can with just about every other player on earth.

ezekielrage_99
Nov 13, 2006, 07:06 PM

Don't you mean 5 years ago :confused:

astral
Nov 13, 2006, 07:18 PM
On the surface, the Zune may look like it matches the iPod's features pretty well, but that is just not the case; it doesnít have a single standard iPod amenity: no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, password-protected volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module. Incredibly, you canít even use the Zune as an external hard drive, as you can with just about every other player on earth.

Most of those cons mean nothing to me, except the hard drive support. I don't use the games, alarm, stopwatch, etc. Other things I don't like about it are lack of mac support and the size, but besides that it doesn't look like an awful product.

Advantages it has over the ipod are support for all three major formats (mp3, m4a, and WMA) and a subscription option. Granted, I don't have any wma files, but it is rather arrogant of Apple to have locked out the wma support that is built in to the ipod's decoding chip. Choice is good, people.

theman5725
Nov 13, 2006, 08:28 PM
I'm going to go against the flow here and say that I think the Zune is going to be a success.

This is despite the odd points system (79 points per song = 99c per song), the fact that you have to buy points in $5 increments (meaning you're giving MS an interest free loan and you'll have to buy $385 worth of songs to not have points left over), the fact that MS are screwing their existing PlayForSure customers by not supporting it, fact that it's 2x thicker than the iPod with video.

After all, since when did mediocrity prevent success? Look at how bad Windows was up to SP2, look at how bad MySpace is currently.

No, I think there's been enough buzz generated for MS to sell plenty of them. They might not outsell iPods any time soon, if ever, but there'll be plenty of teenagers out there who'll get their parents to buy them one, and plenty of Apple antifanbois who'll buy anything but Apple. I have to agree with this one. The Zune will do fairly well this holiday season, and will possibly gain more market share as time moves on, especialy if Apple doesn't release a 6g iPod anytime soon.

ezekielrage_99
Nov 13, 2006, 08:28 PM
I think we will see a new iPod product (and I'm not saying an true video iPod) within the next few weeks.

Apple wont take the release of the Zune lying down, because the G5.5 iPods weren't a real update.....

joshwest
Nov 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
i tested one out tonight boy its a piece of poop..

zap2
Nov 13, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'd crack up if they did....as not doubt it would steal any possible thunder the Zune will get!

Still I doubt it!(no need to!)

tech4all
Nov 13, 2006, 09:38 PM

You don't know how right you are. Zune commericial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvDFbmb9DwE) posted on YouTube, posted in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3050270). :D

needthephone
Nov 14, 2006, 07:36 AM
The Zune looks like it should have been released 3 years ago.

Its a half baked effort to test the water.

An existing modified design from Toshiba.

For the people with no sense, style or taste. Imagine how embaressing it would be to own one of those beige things.

I have no axe to grind though, no particular alliegence to apple just I like the execution, design and attention to detail of their products. Something MS ignores

Chundles
Nov 14, 2006, 07:47 AM
Advantages it has over the ipod are support for all three major formats (mp3, m4a, and WMA) and a subscription option. Granted, I don't have any wma files, but it is rather arrogant of Apple to have locked out the wma support that is built in to the ipod's decoding chip. Choice is good, people.

It's certainly not "Arrogant" of Apple to not support wma playback on the iPod - they'd have to license the right to use the format from Microsoft. I really don't think Apple would like to be paying MS money for every iPod sold.

They don't call it "Windows Media Audio/Video" for nothing. It's for Windows and MS will keep it that way.

needthephone
Nov 14, 2006, 07:59 AM
http://db.tidbits.com/article/8750

iMeowbot
Nov 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
It's certainly not "Arrogant" of Apple to not support wma playback on the iPod - they'd have to license the right to use the format from Microsoft. I really don't think Apple would like to be paying MS money for every iPod sold.

Yup. And to top it off, MS turned against the vendors who did sign on and decided to compete directly against them with an incompatible system.

Granted, I don't have any wma files, but it is rather arrogant of Apple to have locked out the wma support that is built in to the ipod's decoding chip. Choice is good, people.
There was never any truly built-in support for WMA on the iPod. There was a software codec that PortalPlayer offered for sale, but it would have needed rewriting to work with the OS Apple used on the iPod.

MrFirework
Nov 14, 2006, 09:24 AM
It's certainly not "Arrogant" of Apple to not support wma playback on the iPod - they'd have to license the right to use the format from Microsoft...

I think Apple has no need for wma... the ITS/iPod combo works perfectly. Start using M$ formats, decoders, etc... watch the crashes and glitches start piling up.

Nope. No need for it. It would make their product inferior to what it is without wma support.