Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has finally posted the Appleworks 6.2.7 upgrade:

This free update to AppleWorks for Mac OS X provides improvements to the presentation module, AppleScript, web content searching, printing, label printing, table support, and spell checking with user added words. The update provides better recognition and handling of Office 97 and Office 2000 files, improved support for multimedia files in database documents, improved web template downloading over slow internet connections, improved spreadsheet module--including Auto-Calculation, as well as enhanced support for documents which contain links. This version also supports web based templates and clipart on networks using proxy servers.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by rice_web
I actually saw this story a few days ago..... let me go find it.

the 6.2.7 version was on Apple's web store for a few days... but the actual download wasn't available.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Note: It is a 15MB download and is only for the North American English version of AppleWorks.

They also posted AppleWorks 6.2.5 for Mac OS 8/9:
This free update to AppleWorks for Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 provides improvements to spreadsheet Auto-Calculation as well as improved support for multimedia files in database documents.
and AppleWorks 6.2.1 for Windows:
This free update to AppleWorks for Windows provides improvements to spreadsheet Auto-Calculation.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
That's great...but we're so dang "Microslop Word" centric these days, does it matter a whole heck of a lot?

You know, I still open up ClarisWorks 4 when I want to slap together a quick letter and drop in a pic or two? Of course, then I have to copy and paste it in Word so the rest of the world can see it...am I still in the dark ages, or do I just simply appreciate a low-overhead, easy word processing program?:confused:

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Print to PDF

I use AppleWorks 6 almost exclusively for all of my word processing. It's not the best, but it deals with graphics really nicely compared to Word's random "wherever-it-wants-it" placement.

The way I share this is by simply printing to PDF. That format has become so pervasive that anyone can take a PDF file, and it guarantees font consistancy, etc. If you're co-authoring a document, you'll have to do it in Word, but for documents you're just aiming to share with others, try the "Print to PDF" button in the Print dialog.

sXe

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
there's an accounting "project" or whatever you want to call it in the update. so Spymac was kinda right.

knoxer

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Iowa - USA
Also note that 6.2.7 for Mac OS X and 6.2.5 for Mac OS 8-9 are both installed by the same updater.

I don't know why they don't give both versions the same version #, since it's the same application. I'm sure it confuses some people to be able to double click the same application (icon) in OS X and OS 9, but open different versions... Although not many people use BOTH OS's any more I guess....

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Note: It is a 15MB download and is only for the North American English version of AppleWorks.

Take Heed of the Doctor:- I tried to install Appleworks 6 Updater, But there seems to be some difference between the 'US' version and the 'Australian' version I have (ie it said that it needs the 'US' version)

is this simply a regional setting or is there some binary difference between say Australian and/or British (English) versions of Appleworks?

(I would have thought the only differences would be in date formatting and the dictionary - Colour/Color, Realise/Realize etc)

-- Daniel

stukoch

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002

(I would have thought the only differences would be in date formatting and the dictionary - Colour/Color, Realise/Realize etc)

Defence/Defense, and then theres the whole aluminum thing...

tribalogical

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
tokyo, japan
Originally posted by Aciddan
Take Heed of the Doctor:- I tried to install Appleworks 6 Updater, But there seems to be some difference between the 'US' version and the 'Australian' version I have (ie it said that it needs the 'US' version)

I've never been entirely clear on the differences between the US version, and the International English version (which I also have, and this updater won't work on)...

Hoping they'll soon release an Int'l update soon... those usually do follow fairly quickly...

tlc

MOM

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
San Francisco
Export in Appleworks for OSX question

Hi folks. I'm a long-time Appleworks, Clarisworks, MacDraw user. I just spent a very frustrating day scanning Clarisworks drawing files so that i could provide them as 600dpi tiff documents. The publisher required EPSF files (which Appleworks no longer exports unlike ClarisDraw) or high resolution tiffs. I'm still using OS9. Could someone with an OSX version let me know if the updated version will allow saving tiffs (of the draw documents) in any resolution higher than 72dpi? Also, does the pdf format work well in OSX to save files with clean crisp fonts to be opened in another program? I could then make my drawings in Appleworks and open them up in another program to boost the resolution. However, this doesn't work if if the fonts have already been slaughtered by conversion. I really hate tiffs and jpgs for graphics with writing. Its like going back 15 years to jagged fonts and no laser printers.

Thanks, MOM

stukoch

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Not sure about dpi but the Appleworks options on saving a TIFF file are as follows...

BTW, I have not applied the update refrenced in this thread.

Depth: Best Depth
B & W
4 Grays
4 Colors
16 Grays
16 Colors
256 Grays
256 Colors
Millions of Colors
Millions of Colors+

There is a checkbox to turn "Little Endian" on/off, not sure what this is.

Compression options are PackBits, or None

Hope this helps,

Stu

stukoch

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Dang. Still doesn't let you have more than 500 rows in a spreadsheet.

Always has let you...

Format --> Document...

Just type the number of rows you want in the "Rows Down" box.

-Stu

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Export in Appleworks for OSX question

Originally posted by MOM
Could someone with an OSX version let me know if the updated version will allow saving tiffs (of the draw documents) in any resolution higher than 72dpi? Also, does the pdf format work well in OSX to save files with clean crisp fonts to be opened in another program?
Sure. anything for Mom.

(1) I put a high-resolution image in an AppleWorks drawing document, saved it as a TIFF (using "Millions of Colors+", which I think means 32-bits plus an 8-bit alpha channel), and then opened it in an image editor. It was 72x72ppi and looked pixelated when I enlarged it. Saving the same document as a PDF and opening it in Preview (the Mac OS X file viewer) let me enlarge it without pixelation, so it retained its resolution.

(2) I put 6-point type in an AppleWorks word-processing document, saved it as a PDF, opened the PDF in Preview, and zoomed way in on the text. It enlarges to perfectly smooth text, no matter how big I make it. So the character is being rendered on the fly, not rasterized.

This is confirmed by Mac OS X Help, which says "Mac OS X creates a "Digital Master" PDF file, which is larger than a typical PDF because the resolution of images in the PDF file are not scaled down. The PDF file also includes each font character used in the document, including characters from the standard 13 fonts."

Happy Mother's day.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Word vs Works

Originally posted by robotrenegade
How does Appleworks compare to Word?

I have both programs installed and pretty much use Word exclusively for text documents.

Word is more powerful, more Windows compatible, and more buggy. The fact that I have to use Word at the office almost forces me into using Word at home but I think I would be fine with Works if I didn't have to deal with taking stuff between work and home.

In case you are wondering why I use both... I have Appleworks for the drawing and painting features.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
great update, but...

great update I suppose, but... nothing particularly useful to me.

The ONLY THING I really wanted in an AppleWorks update was "Check Spelling As You Type". Considering it's OS-wide, of all companies Apple should be able to implement it into their word processor.

We skipped from 6.2.4 to 6.2.7, and they still haven't put in this feature which is present in nearly all word processing applications - from Word and OpenOffice to TextEdit and freakin' iChat!

Anyway, I need to play around with it some today (in class, of course ;-) so I'm not taking any of my time that isn't already taken) and see if I can find any changes I can really use!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I don't like the fact that you cannot use a wheel mouse with appleworks. It to me makes me feel Appleworks is still 1995 when we HAD to click the up and down arrows.

Yet Safari beta2 supports it wonderfully, even better than mozilla.

Strange.

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Language Dictionaries

Also, from the front Appleworks page (note the added language dictionaries):

AppleWorks 6.2.7 for Mac OS X
This free update provides improvements to the presentation module, spreadsheet module , AppleScript, web searching, printing, label printing, table support and spell checking. The update provides better file handling, English, French, Italian and Spanish spelling dictionaries and other improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.