Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vier-personen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
hello,

I´m new to this forum though I have been visiting macrumors.com for a long time. anyway, I would like to ask if someone has actually compared the 2 apple laptops and can tell me which one is more silent.
I need the laptop for audio work and therefore I need it to be as silent as possible.
Any answer will be appreciated, as I am going to order tomorrow so I can finally replace my TiBook 667 - this is pretty loud also, when the fan goes up.
I am leaning towards the macbook 2.0, because it is smaller and also cheaper.:)

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
hello,

I´m new to this forum though I have been visiting macrumors.com for a long time. anyway, I would like to ask if someone has actually compared the 2 apple laptops and can tell me which one is more silent.
I need the laptop for audio work and therefore I need it to be as silent as possible.
Any answer will be appreciated, as I am going to order tomorrow so I can finally replace my TiBook 667 - this is pretty loud also, when the fan goes up.
I am leaning towards the macbook 2.0, because it is smaller and also cheaper.:)

Well, the MBP has a powerfull GFX which would probably heat it up more.
But on the other hand it has an aluminium casing, which should keep it cooler.
AFAIK the MBP has more(2?) fans, too.
Anyhow if you don't need an MBP, get an MB and save some $. I doubt there'll be much of a difference in noiselevel.
Another thing, there's a program(forgot the name) where you can set the fans to a constant speed and thereby prevent them from spinning up from time to time. I used it on my MB before the firmware revision(which almost did the same thing).

vier-personen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Anyhow if you don't need an MBP, get an MB and save some $. I doubt there'll be much of a difference in noiselevel.
Another thing, there's a program(forgot the name) where you can set the fans to a constant speed and thereby prevent them from spinning up from time to time. I used it on my MB before the firmware revision(which almost did the same thing).

Thanks taliz for the reply.
Yes, I don´t really need the MBP, but I like the saved bucks. I just ordered the MacBook and I am reallly looking forward, I just hope everything will be allright with it. Wish me luck!

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've got a 1.83GHz CoreDuo MacBook and a 2.33GHz 15" Core2Duo MacBook Pro and the MacBook Pro is noticeably cooler and quieter. (not to mention better built with a much nicer screen)

While the MacBook is smaller, it's not that much smaller really, as it's got a big frame around the screen, unike the Pro, and while the Pro is technically heavier, it actually feels lighter as it's almost the same weight but spread out over a larger area.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Well more silent doesn't exist :p if it's silent it can't be any more silent being that silent is the absence of sound.

Anyway both will be the same "loudness" just sitting there, but the CD drive will be louder in the MacBook because it isn't of the same quality. When the fans come on the MacBook Pro will be louder because it has 2 fans VS the 1 in the MacBook.

@Jiddick ExRex - That's how the Aluminum keeps it cooler, it conducts the heat to the outside making it warm to the touch. Heat has a bit of a harder time getting out of the MacBook because if the plastic case.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Anyway both will be the same "loudness" just sitting there, but the CD drive will be louder in the MacBook because it isn't of the same quality. When the fans come on the MacBook Pro will be louder because it has 2 fans VS the 1 in the MacBook.
Even with the fans going full blast, the MacBook Pro seems quieter, but I've not done side-by-side testing. The fans seem to run lower more often on the pro though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.