PDA

View Full Version : Tablet mod: 12" Powerbook

szsiddiq
Nov 13, 2006, 05:46 PM
This thread follows my mod of a 12" Powerbook into a touch sensitive tablet.

Goals:
1.) Adding a touchscreen
2.) Removing keyboard and trackpad

Find out more, and watch videos of the mods progress on www.mechie.org

I wanted to use this forum to find out what alterations you'd make to your powerbook if you could?

Fleetwood Mac
Nov 13, 2006, 07:13 PM
While your concept sounds somehwat promising, I doubt you'll see much interest. People can be generous, but donating or even showing interest in donating to an unkown cause isn't something that many would jump on.

My advice is to make a little more information available. Maybe make some conceptual drawings?

Good luck. ~iDuck

szsiddiq
Nov 13, 2006, 07:18 PM
While your concept sounds somehwat promising, I doubt you'll see much interest. People can be generous, but donating or even showing interest in donating to an unkown cause isn't something that many would jump on.

My advice is to make a little more information available. Maybe make some conceptual drawings?

Good luck. ~iDuck
Thanks for the advice. Id come to that conclusion, and i really dont want to come off as begging. Id like this to be as constructive as possible.

Here are some of the more minor alterations that i can reveal:

1.) Adding fans
2.) Clearing space to add these fans, and to increase air flow through the casing. The modem is a definate chuck. The superdrive may go too (I rarely use it, and now that this is my second computer, i can live without an internal one.
3.) The space cleared may also allow for added usb ports and a second harddrive.
4.) Considering adding an IR receiver, and enabling front row - this is probably not going to happen, considering the Front Row Enabler hack is bricking machines with 10.4.8. I might just add the IR receiver and let it rest until there's a more stable hack out there.

As it develops over the next few weeks, you can expect more details.

szsiddiq
Nov 13, 2006, 10:01 PM
i guess this thread was premature!
when i can say more, ill bring it back to life.
thanks!

szsiddiq
Nov 20, 2006, 08:38 PM
Some news:
Decided to let go of some of the secrecy.
Here's a hint:
Inkwell

mrkramer
Nov 21, 2006, 12:11 AM
Some news:
Decided to let go of some of the secrecy.
Here's a hint:
Inkwell

So are you adding a touch screen to it?

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
So are you adding a touch screen to it?

and more

mrkramer
Nov 21, 2006, 12:37 AM
and more

So when will you tell us what the more is?

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
here's what ive said so far:
touch screen
removing optical drive
adding better speakers
adding new fan
removing modem
maintaining or reducing thickness

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2006, 09:23 AM
wow this is exactly the idea I posted...

which was already posted by someone else.

though im not asking for charity, just a chance to buy broken/damaged apple portables.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232830

http://static.flickr.com/90/241527358_b6cdf0a925.jpg?v=0

its no secret as I have the same idea basically, and when I searched MR, i found the above thread.

an apple portable, sans some of the innards and outards plus a touchscreen.

done.

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:28 AM

though im not asking for charity, just a chance to buy broken/damaged apple portables.

its no secret as I have the same idea basically, and when I searched MR, i found the above thread.

done.

really neat idea, but different from what i've in mind

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2006, 09:34 AM
but basically the same, add your bells and whistles, but it sounds like a small laptop with a touchscreen.

im just amazed you actually asked for charity for this...and then want to sell it.

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:38 AM
but basically the same, add your bells and whistles, but it sounds like a small laptop with a touchscreen.

im just amazed you actually asked for charity for this...and then want to sell it.

alright, forget that i ask for "charity". im more interested in what people would like. once its done with, id also like to know if people would be interested in having this mod done for them.
at this point, i dont expect any donations - i really should just edit that out of the initial post.
that, and i would want to sell the original i make - id keep that for sentimental value :)

Fixed the initial post!

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2006, 09:40 AM
why are you doing this?

fun
learning
money

any of the above?

youd have a much better response, both possibly donation and suggestion wise, if people knew what you were trying.

i highly doubt someone is gonna steal your idea if you were to lay it out.

most people are quite lazy, especially those who post to online forums.

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:46 AM
why are you doing this?

fun
learning
money

any of the above?

youd have a much better response, both possibly donation and suggestion wise, if people knew what you were trying.

i highly doubt someone is gonna steal your idea if you were to lay it out.

most people are quite lazy, especially those who post to online forums.

lol, im sure your right. Ive posted some more details. Im in the midst of making some cad drawings, so once those are done, I'll post em up!

mkrishnan
Nov 21, 2006, 09:49 AM
I have toyed on and off with the idea of doing one of the following with my iBook when I retire it:

1) Make it into a living painting (frame the screen and put it up on the wall and set it up so that it shows selected iPhotos, for instance)

2) Get a tablet mod for it and make it into a tablet Mac....

If you end up doing anything, more power to you, but I'm not particularly interested in donating to your project, as I don't see the value in that action as charity or the benefit to me (as non-charitable giving).

pianoman
Nov 21, 2006, 09:51 AM

done.

is there room for a processor in there?

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 09:52 AM
Begs the question "Why bother?"

Why more fans? My two 12" powerbooks run fine and with normal operating temps etc.

If I was going to get into mods I'd say replacing the combo drive with another hard drive (there is a mod for the 15 and mbp that does this).

Maybe if you're feeling adventurous a higher res screen (ready for Leopard's res independent interface).

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:56 AM
Begs the question "Why bother?"

Why more fans? My two 12" powerbooks run fine and with normal operating temps etc.

If I was going to get into mods I'd say replacing the combo drive with another hard drive (there is a mod for the 15 and mbp that does this).

Maybe if you're feeling adventurous a higher res screen (ready for Leopard's res independent interface).

probably not more fans, but a better fan - trust me i'll need it for this mod.

im taking the superdrive out to free up space. a higher res screen would be nice, but doubt if the logic board could natively support it. you'd probably have to route it through the DVI port. in either case, itd probably eat away battery faster and add much to the cost

Sdashiki
Nov 21, 2006, 09:58 AM

have you seen the size of the 12" logic board? its tiny.

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 09:59 AM
probably not more fans, but a better fan - trust me i'll need it for this mod.

OK, what's the plan?

im taking the superdrive out to free up space. a higher res screen would be nice, but doubt if the logic board could natively support it. you'd probably have to route it through the DVI port. in either case, itd probably eat away battery faster and add much to the cost

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751&highlight=1920

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 09:59 AM

done.

yea that mod looks like itd be tough. even after taking the optical drive out, you've still got the battery and harddrive to work with. altho, you could use a 1.8in drive and have plenty of space, so nevermind

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:03 AM
OK, what's the plan?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751&highlight=1920

Yea i've seen that mod before - do you think its possible on a 12" powerbook? whats the highest res 12.1" screen around? lemme look into it

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 10:10 AM
Yea i've seen that mod before - do you think its possible on a 12" powerbook? whats the highest res 12.1" screen around? lemme look into it

Yeah it's a fair question and I'm not sure there's anything better than xga.

So what are you gonna need the fan/fans for? :)

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd301_j_e.jsp
Thats a 1280x800 res screen, think itd work?

the innard of the case will get fairly cramped - a newer/bigger fan MAY be a good idea. not sure yet :).

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd301_j_e.jsp
Thats a 1280x800 res screen, think itd work?

the innard of the case will get fairly cramped - a newer/bigger fan MAY be a good idea. not sure yet :).

The above display is a widescreen.

So what's going in the case to make it so cramped?

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:21 AM
The above display is a widescreen.

it is wide, you're right. what screens would work then? anyone know? id like to get an idea of howmuch it would cost, and if it's techincally feasable.

So what's going in the case to make it so cramped?

the keyboard is going out the window too

emotion
Nov 21, 2006, 10:23 AM
the keyboard is going out the window too

You'd make a great politician.

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:25 AM
You'd make a great politician.

lol

MacRumors Forums: Where geeks become politicians!

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:43 AM
Alright, so i found a 1400 X 1050 resolution 12.1" screen. i think its the highest available. The one i found is made for a toshiba portable: LTD121KM1K . Its SXGA vs. the current screens XGA. Any idea if it'll work?

Better start a new thread for this...

baxterbrittle
Nov 21, 2006, 06:45 PM
So here's the thing, and I don't mean to be rude in saying this but I think it is pretty lame for you to be secretive about a mod in which you are trying to profit from, but want others to figure out how to make it work for you. I mean I am all for mods and I hope that yours works out great, I just think it is not right for you to take other peoples ideas and make them your own - then sell them! I know another guy whom did that... good ol' Billy Gates.

Look if you want to do this mod go for it, want peoples assistance, ask away. DO NOT try to hide what you are doing so others cant steal it. If you want to sell it there are heaps of people out there whom would like to have a moddified machine that have no inclination to do it themselves.

Sorry to sound like an ass but it just didn't sit right with me.

Moving along, I have been working on this one for a while but have come to a pretty solid conclusion that it needs to be driven by an active digitizer rather than a passive one. Passive is OK for PDA's and cameras but for computers they are simply too inaccurate. Also they tend to develop weak spots across the middle of the screen due to the large surface area and only being suspended from the sides. Now wacom are pretty much the only active tablet to go for (for OS X compatability) but their standard configs are only 10" then 15". They do OEM digitizers for tablets which are fine and they do 12" models there but I am not sure whether you can buys those in limited numbers or not. Maybe an email to wacom would help you out in that front. I have thought about using a 6 x 8 graphire internals as they come with the controllers etc... however it's only 10" and is too big for the enclosure. I have been considering just getting a 10" display and using that but they are not easy to come by with an XGA res (the absolute minimum required nowdays). Food for thought anyway.

So what do you plan to use the extra space for? I too was planning on skipping the optical drive and using the space for a second HDD or what have you. Hadn't really decided yet - but what are the extra fans for really? Are you planning to overclock the processor? Is it simply because the display is going to be covering the top of the machine not allowing heat to be disipated? I'm very curious about that one.

szsiddiq
Nov 21, 2006, 10:43 PM
So here's the thing, and I don't mean to be rude in saying this but I think it is pretty lame for you to be secretive about a mod in which you are trying to profit from, but want others to figure out how to make it work for you. I mean I am all for mods and I hope that yours works out great, I just think it is not right for you to take other peoples ideas and make them your own - then sell them! I know another guy whom did that... good ol' Billy Gates.

Look if you want to do this mod go for it, want peoples assistance, ask away. DO NOT try to hide what you are doing so others cant steal it. If you want to sell it there are heaps of people out there whom would like to have a moddified machine that have no inclination to do it themselves.

Sorry to sound like an ass but it just didn't sit right with me.

Moving along, I have been working on this one for a while but have come to a pretty solid conclusion that it needs to be driven by an active digitizer rather than a passive one. Passive is OK for PDA's and cameras but for computers they are simply too inaccurate. Also they tend to develop weak spots across the middle of the screen due to the large surface area and only being suspended from the sides. Now wacom are pretty much the only active tablet to go for (for OS X compatability) but their standard configs are only 10" then 15". They do OEM digitizers for tablets which are fine and they do 12" models there but I am not sure whether you can buys those in limited numbers or not. Maybe an email to wacom would help you out in that front. I have thought about using a 6 x 8 graphire internals as they come with the controllers etc... however it's only 10" and is too big for the enclosure. I have been considering just getting a 10" display and using that but they are not easy to come by with an XGA res (the absolute minimum required nowdays). Food for thought anyway.

So what do you plan to use the extra space for? I too was planning on skipping the optical drive and using the space for a second HDD or what have you. Hadn't really decided yet - but what are the extra fans for really? Are you planning to overclock the processor? Is it simply because the display is going to be covering the top of the machine not allowing heat to be disipated? I'm very curious about that one.

well so by now everyone knows it's a tablet. you made a good point about withholding info. it wasnt a really original idea anyways, and most of the merit goes to effort and time i guess. thanks for convincing me, and for all your advice

im going to use a resistive touchscreen, made by keytec. i would've prefered to have a capacitive touchscreen (3M makes nice ones) but they're not easy to get a hold of, so i went with this "off the shelf" peice.
the extra space is gonna be used for a few things. extra usb ports, space for wiring for lcd and touchscreen, and just to create some cross ventilation. over clocking the processor would be cool, but meh, id rather buy a 1.5ghz logic board (ive a 1.33ghz powerbook right now).

you're right about the fans - cramming all that in will make things hot. the keyboard allows for much more dissipation than a screen would.

more details as things come together!

blueztelecaster
Nov 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
I actually have a 12" powerbook that has suffered a little bit from some problems. As of right now I can't plug in the power without spending about 10 minutes situating the cable. This is due to a few drops that occured with the cable plugged in, and pardon the pun, bent it out of shape. If you would like to buy the laptop from me I would be willing to sell it for cheap in hopes of creating this hybrid mod. I'm about to buy a macbook pro within the next 3 months (waiting for a later revision) so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to lose it. Feel free to comment back or e-mail me to figure something out.

szsiddiq
Nov 24, 2006, 10:34 AM
I mean I am all for mods and I hope that yours works out great, I just think it is not right for you to take other peoples ideas and make them your own - then sell them! I know another guy whom did that... good ol' Billy Gates.

LOL and i know another guy who's done that: Steve Jobs! its called business, and no matter how much i come to admire some of these pioneers, i always find instances where they're theiving jerks. thats how they become so successful. honesty just doesnt get you anywhere.

and i was surveying customer needs, not asking people how to make my mod. companies do this all the time. it's a neccesary tool in product development. you survey customer needs, weigh their needs with manufacturing costs and difficulties and make the best product u can based on that balance.

matticus008
Nov 25, 2006, 12:14 AM
have you seen the size of the 12" logic board? its tiny.
Not tiny enough to fit under half of a notebook keyboard, as in that mockup. Further, I have never seen an LCD panel 4.5x10 inches in size for sale by any panel manufacturer.

yea that mod looks like itd be tough. even after taking the optical drive out, you've still got the battery and harddrive to work with. altho, you could use a 1.8in drive and have plenty of space, so nevermind
There's no chance of the stock logic board fitting in the pictured configuration, but even considering your tablet concept, where are you going to get a replacement case? Per-unit cost on a custom enclosure for electronics is going to knock the mod squarely out of the "sane budget" ballpark, not to mention that the port connectors don't really lend themselves to tablet PC layouts (tablets are used principally in portrait mode, after all).

szsiddiq
Nov 25, 2006, 08:49 AM
There's no chance of the stock logic board fitting in the pictured configuration, but even considering your tablet concept, where are you going to get a replacement case? Per-unit cost on a custom enclosure for electronics is going to knock the mod squarely out of the "sane budget" ballpark, not to mention that the port connectors don't really lend themselves to tablet PC layouts (tablets are used principally in portrait mode, after all).

I'm not going to get a replacement case. The bottom case will be able to house most everything. The screen will extrude from that, and to house that i'll be using acrylic. acrylic can be custom cut for almost the same price it's sold for by square ft. I'm still working out how everything will be securely mounted, but i have determined that its feasable.

szsiddiq
Nov 25, 2006, 11:18 AM
Contemplating an internal solar panel. Not sure whether or not itd be worth it. It'll definatly take a lot more time and research, but im going to look into it for sure.

im also contemplating replacing the 12.1" with a 10.4" or 10.6" wide screen.

matticus008
Nov 25, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not going to get a replacement case. The bottom case will be able to house most everything. The screen will extrude from that, and to house that i'll be using acrylic. acrylic can be custom cut for almost the same price it's sold for by square ft. I'm still working out how everything will be securely mounted, but i have determined that its feasable.
What about the hinge area and the optical drive slot? Have you considered the added thickness and need for lateral support under the touch screen? You can't just mount it in an acrylic frame (which also cannot be cut to a quality piece on the cheap--in addition to making the basic shape, you've got to do beveling and polishing and finding a way to put screws into it without exposing them, and of course keeping tabs on it for the screws; when they offer cheap custom cutting, they mean in a 2-dimensional shape and certainly not the intricate 3D form you'll require).

Feasible or not, this is hardly going to be a mod people would pay to have you do, though it certainly might be fun and worthwhile to do your own.

szsiddiq
Nov 25, 2006, 05:31 PM
What about the hinge area and the optical drive slot? Have you considered the added thickness and need for lateral support under the touch screen? You can't just mount it in an acrylic frame (which also cannot be cut to a quality piece on the cheap--in addition to making the basic shape, you've got to do beveling and polishing and finding a way to put screws into it without exposing them, and of course keeping tabs on it for the screws; when they offer cheap custom cutting, they mean in a 2-dimensional shape and certainly not the intricate 3D form you'll require).

Feasible or not, this is hardly going to be a mod people would pay to have you do, though it certainly might be fun and worthwhile to do your own.

good points. the hinge area is one that im still looking into - i cant entirely solve that problem until i can take my powerbook apart, which wont happen for another few weeks. i might save the hinge portion and make a see-thru lid that would flip up or detach.
the optical drive slot will be an annoying fix, but it will be mostly cut open to make room for a few USB ports. the rest of the space will be dremel cut to make air vents. ive been told that the right dremel will cut through this aluminum pretty well, but i've yet to test that out.
ive a couple of ideas for the frame of the screen as well as mounting it. again, i've got to wait until i can open up my pb b4 i can see what'll work. i have come to terms with the fact that it'll be thicker than i would have hoped.
in either case, it'll be fun.
i also dont plan on finishing before the end of january now (it's going to suck when apple releases a tablet then).
thanks for your input! keep it coming :)

madmaxmedia
Nov 30, 2006, 07:04 PM
Just for ideas, info, etc...this guy made a tablet with a Mac Mini-

http://homepage.mac.com/peter_green/MMP_MkIII_Tablet/index.html

It's obviously much different than yours, but still a homebrew Mac tablet...

Chef Medeski
Nov 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

That guy needs to start a company an manufacture those. I would buy them. Actually hed have to make it slightly thinner and just a bit larger screen for me to buy it. But still. Thats so cool.

szsiddiq
Nov 30, 2006, 10:23 PM

Yea I've looked at that, and its really sweet. I considered down grading the screen size, but decided to stick with 12".

dcv
Dec 1, 2006, 04:13 AM
What are some alterations you'd make to your powerbook if you could?

The only thing I'd add to mine is a backlit keyboard.

Dagless
Dec 1, 2006, 05:02 AM
The only thing I'd add to mine is a backlit keyboard.

hear hear. I'm trying to figure out a way to apply one to my 12" PowerBook. A backlit keyboard would be wonderful :)

Sdashiki
Dec 1, 2006, 10:17 AM

its like 2 inches thick, jeezus thats friggen ugly and barely portable.

at least my own pet project would try to keep it the same 1" thickness the apple lappy i started with.

seriously, thats a thick machine.

szsiddiq
Dec 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
hear hear. I'm trying to figure out a way to apply one to my 12" PowerBook. A backlit keyboard would be wonderful :)
id do that, but im ripping the keyboard out ;)
its like 2 inches thick, jeezus thats friggen ugly and barely portable.

at least my own pet project would try to keep it the same 1" thickness the apple lappy i started with.

seriously, thats a thick machine.

Ya i dont want to make it thicker than it already was (1.19"), but my target was to keep it even thinner. Making it thinner restricts the features i wanna add to it. Around 1.2" is where ill probably land

szsiddiq
Jan 2, 2007, 07:39 PM
jusssst an update for anyone who's interested:
i got set back on the mod, cuz i didnt want to put my only computer out of commission. now that i kno exactly when i'll have another computer, I'll be ready to cut this baby open soon.

the delay did force me to plan more and experiment less.

here's whats new:
the lcd will rest in an area integrated to the topcase. the topcase it self will be heavily "revised." The powerbook lid will be kept completely intact (altho openings will be better sealed and the latch might be replaced with a screw (sealing it is important for keeping dust out of the area between the screen and the touchscreen glass, and being able to reopen the area easily will allow for easy access to the lcd for cleaning, and for further work to be done on the mod in the future. as it stands, the powerbook is ridiculously time consuming to open up.)

The internal modem will still be going out the window, but before i stated that id be removing the optical drive to create space needed for the touch screen controller as well as additional USB ports. I am in the process of rethinking this one. The controller should fit fine in the space of the modem. The usb ports may not be worth it. as it stands, the powerbook has 2 usb ports. 1 will be taken up by the touch screen controller (wired from the inside), leaving only 1 free. since i use usb ports far more that i ever use my superdrive, i considered removing it. Id first like to ensure that the mod can be done without removing the superdrive.

some more details on the touchscreen. the touch screen glass, made by keytec, will be installed into the top of the lid. the aluminum from the top of the lid will be cut open for screen visibility. mounting this within the lid bezel and mounting the screen will be the biggest challenges. if anyone can offer any words of advice when taking apart the lid, let me kno! also, if anyone knows of a site with pix of an open lid and bezel, lemme kno.

thanks! your comments and suggestions are all welcome.

diadem
Jan 18, 2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ have fun :p

jeremy.king
Jan 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
so far this thread has been ALL TALK and NO ACTION :rolleyes:

szsiddiq
Jan 23, 2007, 10:55 PM

lol, funny, the day you posted this was the day i got my work laptop...FINALLY! which means i can finally gut my powerbook! and that is done! i dont have my camera, so i took a pic with the isight on my new macbook of the mess ive made :).

i ordered a dremel that ill need and it shud get here by next week. so HOPEFULLY ill be done by midfeb (hoping my maryland engineering courseload doesnt grind me down too hard).

as you can see, the powerbook is a real nightmare to take apart. from what ive read and now my own experience, its the most complicated (in terms of assembly) mac notebook, and possibly one of the most complicated (again in terms of assembly) notebooks in general. there are more than 30 some different types of screws! amazing. putting it all together, with my own modifications, will be fun!

One huge kick in the behind is that company the manufactures the touch glass has an asymetric design, meaning the touch senstive area is offset on the glass. this means that a little under 2mm of the screen on the left side falls out of the touch sensitive area. i can live with that, but it is upsetting.

WildPalms
Jan 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
Dude......just buy a ModBook and be done with it. Sheesh. What a waste of time.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook

mjstew33
Jan 28, 2007, 03:57 PM
nice, mate. very, very nice.

i can't wait to see the end product.

timswim78
Jan 28, 2007, 04:32 PM

Still, its many times better than the multiple-page thread about a guy who hung an iMac on his kitchen wall.

szsiddiq
Jan 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
Dude......just buy a ModBook and be done with it. Sheesh. What a waste of time.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook
so sweet of you to say...lets see, have a fun learning experience and spend a few hundred bucks to mod something i already have, or learn nothing and spend 2grand on a professionally engineered product that has more than id ever want...

nice, mate. very, very nice.

i can't wait to see the end product.

thanks for the encouragement!

Still, its many times better than the multiple-page thread about a guy who hung an iMac on his kitchen wall.
i dunno, that could be a fun conversation :-p

anywho, ive taken a video (with my iSight, so quality isnt great) of some the powerbook (which for now ill call powerslate) in a disassembled but functioning state. keep an eye on mechie.org for updates and videos.

matticus008
Jan 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
so sweet of you to say...lets see, have a fun learning experience and spend a few hundred bucks to mod something i already have, or learn nothing and spend 2grand on a professionally engineered product that has more than id ever want...
When you get to the final stage, if you need a few recommendations for places to custom cut a bezel for the face of the tablet, post back here or PM. I've used a couple places for custom artwork installations and some glass/acrylic cutting that offer great service and the best prices.

Cheap enough for a starving artist years ago, cheap enough for a student today, right?

szsiddiq
Jan 28, 2007, 08:47 PM
When you get to the final stage, if you need a few recommendations for places to custom cut a bezel for the face of the tablet, post back here or PM. I've used a couple places for custom artwork installations and some glass/acrylic cutting that offer great service and the best prices.

Cheap enough for a starving artist years ago, cheap enough for a student today, right?

thanks a lot for the offer! i'm going to attempt to cut the lid to use as the top bezel. i'll be cutting with a dremel, sometime over the next week. we'll see how that works, if it doesnt, you can expect a PM :)

szsiddiq
Jan 28, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've had a thread about this in the Mac Basics section, and realize that thats probably the wrong section for it, so if the mods don't mind, I'll open up this thread...
Anyways, I'm in the middle of modding my 12" PowerBook in to a touch screen tablet (with the working title: PowerSlate).
I'll be keeping updates (comments, pics and videos) on my site: mechie.org
feel free to leave comments and suggestions here or on the site.

thanks for reading!

[Moderator note: threads merged and put in the MacBook (portable Mac) forum]

My note: thanks so much mods!

classof2011
Jan 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
This guy took an iBook G3 and transformed it into a Mac Tablet.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/166/2/

It's as thick as 2 iBooks though. On the plus side, it has bluetooth, new slots and ports! So I imagine it is possible, and the instructions he gives might help.

szsiddiq
Jan 28, 2007, 11:32 PM
This guy took an iBook G3 and transformed it into a Mac Tablet.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/166/2/

It's as thick as 2 iBooks though. On the plus side, it has bluetooth, new slots and ports! So I imagine it is possible, and the instructions he gives might help.

yep, i've seen that mod, and its really impressive!

szsiddiq
Feb 7, 2007, 08:21 AM
Just a quick update (you can find the same updates at mechie.org):
So I’m in the process of teaching my self how to use a dremel, and practicing my soldering skills.
Here’s a few updates to the plans:
1.) The optical drive will be knocked out
2.) USB ports will be added
3.) A larger fan will be added
4.) Most Important: I’ve discovered that tapping the screen wakes the powerbook from sleep. This is a nice feature, but can become a nuisance when you’ve got it in a bag, or accidently touch it. Solution: A hold button. I’ll do my best to mimic an iPod’s hold button.

That’s it for now!

Collin973
Feb 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
What are you using for the touch sensitive overlay on the screen? You might have posted it but I don't have time to read over everything.

Thanks

szsiddiq
Feb 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
What are you using for the touch sensitive overlay on the screen? You might have posted it but I don't have time to read over everything.

Thanks

sure, its made by a company called keytec. their site is at magictouch.com.
there are a bunch of little companies that make them, but this was the most reliable and responsive one I found. Another company to look at may be TrollTouch

szsiddiq
Feb 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
The good folks at MacMod.com have asked me to do a 5-6 part mini series (Modcasts as they call em) on the happenings of my mod. They'll begin publishing it as the mod is done.
I'll be sure to let everyone know once details are up there.
I'll keep updating my own site (http://mechie.org) with progress as it comes.

szsiddiq
Mar 12, 2007, 01:33 PM
Just a teaser update. The Slate is officially only 1.125" thick. The powerbook was originally 1.19" thick :)

I'll let you know when to expect the MacMod series to begin when I find out.
Until then keep an eye on Mechie.org or the thread in my sig for updates on my side project, the PowerTV.

Cheers.

szsiddiq
Apr 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
Just an update to show that I'm still alive:

I've been swamped with my course load and some other matters, so progress has been slow. But, all the internal wiring and soldering is now done with. there is a usb hub soldered to one of the existing usb ports (there will be a total of 3 functioning USB ports available when the mod is done. the touch screen driver board cable is soldered directly to the USB hub. the other end of the driver board that connects to the touch screen has been soldered to a switch (making a hold switch for the touch screen).

The frame for the touch screen has been cut and the touch screen install. All the configurations for the internals have been worked out, and it is now just a matter of assembling each layer.

More soon!

CrackedButter
Apr 18, 2007, 09:05 AM
Keep at it dude, forget the naysayers... just remember the Apple advert, the Crazy Ones.

szsiddiq
Apr 18, 2007, 09:29 AM
Keep at it dude, forget the naysayers... just remember the Apple advert, the Crazy Ones.

Felldownthewell
Apr 18, 2007, 09:53 AM
I know I would never use something like this, but it should be amazing just on principle. Not to mention it is awesome that you are modding it yourself, not by giving it 10 million fans and a whole lot of neon lighting, but by turning it into something that ever true mac nerd really wants.

I can't wait to see the final product!

szsiddiq
Apr 18, 2007, 10:41 AM
I know I would never use something like this, but it should be amazing just on principle. Not to mention it is awesome that you are modding it yourself, not by giving it 10 million fans and a whole lot of neon lighting, but by turning it into something that ever true mac nerd really wants.

I can't wait to see the final product!

thanks again :)

MiniMan.
Apr 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
This sounds like a really cool project, you must be quite a handy man to do this yourself. Very impressive so faar. Cant wait to see pics of the end product.

Good Job, Good Luck, Good Lad :D :apple:

szsiddiq
Apr 18, 2007, 03:44 PM
This sounds like a really cool project, you must be quite a handy man to do this yourself. Very impressive so faar. Cant wait to see pics of the end product.

Good Job, Good Luck, Good Lad :D :apple:

lol, handy man? this is my first attempt at a mod, and over that, my first attempt at using a dremel or a soldering iron.

Thanks though!

livingfortoday
Apr 18, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty curious to see how this turns out. I hope you're taking lots of notes and photos along the way to explain how it all works in the end, and so others can try it too!

szsiddiq
Apr 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty curious to see how this turns out. I hope you're taking lots of notes and photos along the way to explain how it all works in the end, and so others can try it too!

I'm recording as much of the work as I can for MacMod.com, and they'll be turning it into a mini series. :)

szsiddiq
May 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
Progress:
Almost complete. All the necessary parts have been crafted, and it's almost ready for reassembly. After I'm certain that it's able to assemble right, I'll disassemble, paint, and done! I'm looking for it to be done by May 12.

A bit of bad news. I originally thought I'd be able to get the thickness down to 1.12", but unfortunately, the battery just doesn't allow for this. So on the top end it will be slightly thicker, 1.19" (the original thickness of the powerbook). There will be a slight slant down to the bottom end of the tablet where the thickness will be closer to 1.12".

Not a huge difference, but irritating none the less.

Thanks for reading!

livingfortoday
May 3, 2007, 09:51 AM
I wonder if a slight wedge shape would have worked for that. Like, thin on one end, thicker on the battery end. That way it could sit at an angle on a table to be used while sitting down, too.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. I'm excited to see the final result!

szsiddiq
May 3, 2007, 09:58 AM
I wonder if a slight wedge shape would have worked for that. Like, thin on one end, thicker on the battery end. That way it could sit at an angle on a table to be used while sitting down, too.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. I'm excited to see the final result!

Actually, thats exactly what i was thinking, but like i said, it'd be very slight! about .06-.08in to be exact. Even on the other side of the device, there is a need for thickness...it's where the logic board is, and while the board itself is thin, when u add in a fan and heat sink, u need more space.

But it's looking alright so far. Also, the tablet will be severely easy to open up and service, unlike the powerbook. there will be about 6 screws holding all together on the outside, while on the inside there will be 4 hinges. The hinges will allow you to swing around each layer (touchscreen, lcd, all else). Hopefully it all holds together well!

dcv
May 3, 2007, 10:06 AM
I wonder if a slight wedge shape would have worked for that.

Noooooo!! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296711) :p

Are there any more pics?

szsiddiq
May 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
Noooooo!! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296711) :p

Are there any more pics?

lol, i thought of that "concept" as soon as i stumbled upon this problem. no more pix yet. i've been videoing most of the process, and will hand off the video to macmod.com. once they're through with it, you'll see it all in detail.

product26
Jun 20, 2007, 02:19 AM
http://www.magictouch.com/

they charge extra for mac drivers??? WTF?

product26
Jun 20, 2007, 09:52 AM
how thick is the touch panel overlay? I am building a tablet G3 iBook and am a bit worried about how 'creative' I will need to be when it comes to adding the touch panel.

szsiddiq
Jun 20, 2007, 11:39 AM
yep, they charge $20 extra for the mac version of their drivers. I didn't ask why.

It's not too thick. The exact dimensions are given on the product page.

Mine is almost done, I just haven't found time to put it together yet.

best of luck!

product26
Jun 21, 2007, 10:51 PM
"A minimum space of 3 mm (1/8") is required inside of the LCD case."
Is the panel actually 3mm?? Seems thick. How does it compare to the thickness of the LCD screen?

Did you actually have to pay $20 extra or was it included in the price?

szsiddiq
Jun 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
"A minimum space of 3 mm (1/8") is required inside of the LCD case."
Is the panel actually 3mm?? Seems thick. How does it compare to the thickness of the LCD screen?

Did you actually have to pay $20 extra or was it included in the price?

Yep, i'd say it's about 3mm. A little thinner than the LCD. The total cost before shipping was around $165. It was around $175shipped.

product26
Sep 14, 2007, 09:28 PM
any updates??

product26
Sep 22, 2007, 02:29 AM
any updates??

I guess not.... I finally ordered the touch panel for mine.

I bet I will beat you to the finish.

product26
Oct 25, 2007, 01:23 PM
as you can see, it has been over a month since i placed my order for a touch panel.

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM www.ezscreens.com

The customer service is CRAP. They do not respond to emails unless you 'yell' at them. I canceled my order.

szsiddiq
Dec 17, 2007, 02:00 PM
as you can see, it has been over a month since i placed my order for a touch panel.

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM www.ezscreens.com

The customer service is CRAP. They do not respond to emails unless you 'yell' at them. I canceled my order.

ouch, sorry to hear that! magictouch.com is where i got mine.

Anyways, Im bringing this thread back from the dead just to say that after my last fine today, i'll be unpacking the mod and seeing where i am at. Last i remember it, it was at a state where i could sandwich it all togther and have it look like what it is supposed to. the trick is, now, to finish reassembling it in a sturdy manner!
Will try to post a new video/pix tonite.

TheStu
Dec 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
ouch, sorry to hear that! magictouch.com is where i got mine.

Anyways, Im bringing this thread back from the dead just to say that after my last fine today, i'll be unpacking the mod and seeing where i am at. Last i remember it, it was at a state where i could sandwich it all togther and have it look like what it is supposed to. the trick is, now, to finish reassembling it in a sturdy manner!
Will try to post a new video/pix tonite.

I have been contemplating a similar mod as this one, and here are my thoughts on it.

If you remove the SuperDrive, you should have enough room left for a second hard drive (bringing the maximum capacity of the system up to 500GB) and a small 4 port USB 2.0 Hub. What you could then do is directly solder the tablet to 1 of the left side USB ports, and then, solder the hub directly to the other one. Fashion caps of some kind to cover those ports up... don't want them shorting out.

The only hitch to this would be powering the USB hub, but if you can work out the voltages on the DC-DC board, you should then be able to run a lead off of there back to the USB hub to supply the needed 5V at 2.6A.

By dremeling into the existing slot for the old SuperDrive, you can minimize the amount of destruction that you do to mount the USB hub, and shabim shabam, you just doubled the number of USB ports on the system, as well as doubled the hard drive capacity of the system. Also, right in there should be a good place to re-wire your power button and your future hold switch/button.

The IR port is a good idea, but the question is... where would it go? Where is a good place to put it.... it all depends on how you want to place the Slate when you hook it up to a TV.

One last thing. What panel are you using, and what resolution is the screen? I have been seeing SXGA+ (1440*1050) screens on ebay, and if I were to start this mod, I was thinking of using those.

szsiddiq
Dec 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
Wow, you've pretty much described what I've done here. The 4 port usb hub miraculously works without needing power (I had a keyboard in one port and sync an ipod in another with no problems at all...i ruined the last port in my first soldering effort...)

As for caps, all you really need is static paper to lay down on the metal...that's what's done on the rest of the notebook where the logicboard is. Maybe I miss understood your point

There is space for another HD, but it'd be a really tight fit (unless you went with a 1.8") and then you need to find a way to power it (on my powerbook, the connector for the superdrive is identical to that of the HD but I doubt if it's the same interface beyond that, and I don't have the guts to risk it and try). But I suppose there are external HD's that are USB powered now, so I'm sure you could easily gut one and drop it in.

I let the IR port go awhile back.

I'm keeping the same LCD panel that was in the powerbook to begin with, which was 1024 x 768. The touch screen itself comes from a company called keytec, who sells their stuff through magictouch.com . Not the highest grade stuff (meaning it feels like trash after playing with iPhones/iPod Touch's).

Anyways, turns out I left the LCD screen at home, so here's a shot of the stuff sans screen and some structural innards.

rogair
Dec 17, 2007, 06:57 PM
Good stuff. Looks like you put a great deal of effort in this project! I'll be following along to see the final outcome. :)

Keep it up.

TheStu
Dec 17, 2007, 09:06 PM
Wow, you've pretty much described what I've done here. The 4 port usb hub miraculously works without needing power (I had a keyboard in one port and sync an ipod in another with no problems at all...i ruined the last port in my first soldering effort...)

As for caps, all you really need is static paper to lay down on the metal...that's what's done on the rest of the notebook where the logicboard is. Maybe I miss understood your point

There is space for another HD, but it'd be a really tight fit (unless you went with a 1.8") and then you need to find a way to power it (on my powerbook, the connector for the superdrive is identical to that of the HD but I doubt if it's the same interface beyond that, and I don't have the guts to risk it and try). But I suppose there are external HD's that are USB powered now, so I'm sure you could easily gut one and drop it in.

I let the IR port go awhile back.

I'm keeping the same LCD panel that was in the powerbook to begin with, which was 1024 x 768. The touch screen itself comes from a company called keytec, who sells their stuff through magictouch.com . Not the highest grade stuff (meaning it feels like trash after playing with iPhones/iPod Touch's).

Anyways, turns out I left the LCD screen at home, so here's a shot of the stuff sans screen and some structural innards.

What I was talking about with the Hard drive is that you can get adapters that basically have it drop right into the same place as the SuperDrive, what you can then do is simply hack that thing apart to instead of having the long axis of the drive be perpendicular to the eject slot, have it be parallel to it, then, you might (MIGHT!) have enough room left for the USB Hub.

The caps that I was talking about would actually be for the outside of the system, to clog up the USB ports essentially so you don't accidentally put anything in there (never know that havoc that might cause)

Good to see it coming along, can't wait till I have the cash to do mine (god it would be so sweet if I can get the SXGA+ screen to work... those already have the wacom digitizer built into them, so that saves hackery to put in the touch abilities)

szsiddiq
Dec 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
What I was talking about with the Hard drive is that you can get adapters that basically have it drop right into the same place as the SuperDrive, what you can then do is simply hack that thing apart to instead of having the long axis of the drive be perpendicular to the eject slot, have it be parallel to it, then, you might (MIGHT!) have enough room left for the USB Hub.

The caps that I was talking about would actually be for the outside of the system, to clog up the USB ports essentially so you don't accidentally put anything in there (never know that havoc that might cause)

Good to see it coming along, can't wait till I have the cash to do mine (god it would be so sweet if I can get the SXGA+ screen to work... those already have the wacom digitizer built into them, so that saves hackery to put in the touch abilities)

Well, as you can see from my pix, if you're willing to rework and even stack some stuff up, you can definitely get a 1.8" HD in easily, and a 2.5" one with some work. I'd rather leave more room for air flow, and save some money :).

Oh yea, and I've already set to make some plastic caps for the used up USB port, as well as the modem port (i pulled that waste of time out!).

Good stuff. Looks like you put a great deal of effort in this project! I'll be following along to see the final outcome. :)

Keep it up.

Thanks! I've got to go home for winter break and get my LCD screen, and my dremmel...but after new years you'll begin to see progress hopefully!

szsiddiq
Jan 1, 2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPzOIqnbRc4
New video. :)

lil' brudder
Jan 1, 2008, 11:48 PM
I like the classic in the background of that picture! :D I don't think I could handle doing any of this work you've done! Keep it up!

spring
Jan 2, 2008, 12:27 AM
Wow this looks nice (first time seeing this), but it seems as the touch capability isn't accurate/sensitive (not dragging the keyboard to well) as i thought it would be.

szsiddiq
Jan 2, 2008, 07:38 PM
I like the classic in the background of that picture! :D I don't think I could handle doing any of this work you've done! Keep it up!

I found it in the dumpster :)
Thanks!

Wow this looks nice (first time seeing this), but it seems as the touch capability isn't accurate/sensitive (not dragging the keyboard to well) as i thought it would be.

This was my fault! I forgot to calibrate the screen before starting the demo (this was the first time I'd turned it on in 8months!) I mumbled this in the video at some point, but I dont blame you for not hearing it :)