PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see SJ getting Pilloried on CNN last night?

Gidman
Apr 24, 2003, 10:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone else was struck by the conversation Paula Zahn and Jack Welch about his $78M compensation versus shareholder loss? This may be more apprpriate in another section, so please feel free to move it.

I just thought that Jack Welch did a fairly passable job of defending Steve, although he didn't have that many things to say about Apple (called them almost dead a couple of times...)

Gid

MacFan25
Apr 24, 2003, 05:14 PM
No, I didn't see it. Hopefully nothing ad about Steve was said. :D

janey
Apr 24, 2003, 06:23 PM
look almost every single journalist says bad things about apple, even when they're doing better than most of the companies in the industry.
live with it...everyone does it.
they all have PC's and they've never used Macs and all they do is diss the Mac and Apple because they have all these preconceived notions as to how the company should be...

shadowfax
Apr 24, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
look almost every single journalist says bad things about apple, even when they're doing better than most of the companies in the industry.
live with it...everyone does it.
they all have PC's and they've never used Macs and all they do is diss the Mac and Apple because they have all these preconceived notions as to how the company should be... much like your preconceived notion that all (most all) journalists say bad things about apple, use PCs, and do nothing else but diss apple.

i bet most hardly think about apple, or bother to diss them.

janey
Apr 24, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
much like your preconceived notion that all (most all) journalists say bad things about apple, use PCs, and do nothing else but diss apple.

i bet most hardly think about apple, or bother to diss them.
have you ever read a non-biased review of any of apple's products outside of any computer magazines?
have you read any article where the journalist was partial to apple?

shadowfax
Apr 24, 2003, 06:59 PM
have you ever read a non-biased review of any of apple's products outside of any computer magazines?
have you read any article where the journalist was partial to apple? yes.

www.macworld.com
sorry, don't have a subscription to the NY times, but http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16051
this is fair: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1611
hmmmm..... http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/03/11.11.shtml
errrr...... http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5704769.htm

did you mean something different?
missed the computer based thing, but there's a NY times article there, and whatever the hell that mercury news thing is. they didn't look tech based.

wsteineker
Apr 24, 2003, 07:18 PM
Walt Mossberg of Time and The Wall Street Journal is usually quite fair (even complementary) when it comes to Apple. The good people at the San Jose Mercury news are usually unbiased when it comes to reporting on the business aspect of Apple, and they're usually glowing in their reviews of Apple products. Even David Coursey at ZDnet is a huge Apple fan as of late. CNet is usually pretty fair, too. All that to say that there are some fairly prominent journalists and outlets that are totally fair when it comes to Apple, if not downright favorable. :)

yzedf
Apr 24, 2003, 09:29 PM
apple makes money from the $4B they have in the bank compounding interest. that money is a hold-over from the glory days...

anything new is treading water, after taking into account the interest... look at the financial reports for the last few quarters.

computer companies either grow or not. staying even or losing slightly is considered a very bad thing (tm). that is just the way it is. true / fair or not.

even the lessons of the dot-com crash have not altered peoples PERCEPTION of what the state of a company is.

Foxer
Apr 25, 2003, 01:35 PM

As recently as yesterday Mossberg, the tech columist for the Wall Street Journal, said that apples were the best product on the market for basic users who wanted music, photos and film editing. He loved the 17-inch PB, the iPod, and just about every other Apple product I can remember.

Oddly, I think of journalists (as left-leaning by nature) as favorably pre-disposed to Apple.

digitalgiant
Apr 25, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
yes.

www.macworld.com
sorry, don't have a subscription to the NY times, but http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=16051
this is fair: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1611
hmmmm..... http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/03/11.11.shtml
errrr...... http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5704769.htm

did you mean something different?
missed the computer based thing, but there's a NY times article there, and whatever the hell that mercury news thing is. they didn't look tech based.

MacFan25
Apr 25, 2003, 03:14 PM
From the WSJ articles that I have read on Apple, they don't seem to "diss" Steve or Apple.

topicolo
Apr 25, 2003, 03:29 PM
I think Steve deserved the dissing because the company is majority owned by the shareholders, not Jobs. The role of Jobs and the board of directors is to run Apple profitably and Job isn't doing that by sucking up a quarter's worth of profits every year.

Pretty disgusting in my opinion. That money should be going into R&D or it should be going into shareholders' pockets as a dividend.

MacWhispers
Apr 26, 2003, 12:11 AM
Over half of my retirement savings is in Apple stock, and I happen to be damned pleased with Mr. Jobs and the direction he's been taking this company.

Biz journalists and market analysists are all predisposed to a "What have you done for me this moment?" attitude, based on whatever the previous day's closing stock price might have been.

Since Apple doesn't pay a stock dividend, my decision(s) to purchase the stock has been made solely on my expectation of long-range capital appreciation. Just as with the stock market, in general, I don't give a flying flip about the current spot price... if Apple sinks to $10 tomorrow, I won't care, and most likely won't even notice. What I care about is what the stock's going to be worth in 2016, not 2003.

Capitalizing on Apple's brand power potential in the consumer electronics and digital entertainment media markets is a growth strategy I think is smart.

Think Strategic

topicolo
Apr 27, 2003, 12:22 AM
Half your retirement savings in Apple??!?!?
Whoa. I guess the dot-com lesson didn't sink in with everybody. Not that I don't like apple or anything, but if you're going into apple for the long term, expecting to be well rewarded, well they've actually LOST 50% of their value in the last 10 years.link (http://quote.fool.com/Chart/chart.asp?osymb=&osymbols=aapl&symbols=aapl&currticker=AAPL&time=10yr&uf=0&compidx=aaaaa%7E0&ma=0&symb=aapl&freq=1dy&lf=1&comp=&type=128&sid=609)

Personally I would never buy a company that I like, I would only buy companies that I KNOW would appreciate. Emotions just screw up my investing.

Good luck with your investment

goldmember
Apr 27, 2003, 12:38 AM
Personally I would never buy a company that I like

That's exactly the opposite of Peter Lynch's strategy. I think buying companies you know is a pretty good strategy, unless you think that other people don't like the stuff you like.

NavyIntel007
Apr 27, 2003, 01:14 AM

Yeah man, Macworld. I've never seen them give any Apple product less than 4 mice.

shadowfax
Apr 27, 2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Yeah man, Macworld. I've never seen them give any Apple product less than 4 mice. i think i have seen an apple with a 3.5. maybe a 14 inch iBook. but they are a computer magazine, and she is talking about non-tech journalists.

rainman::|:|
Apr 27, 2003, 02:48 AM
i've read at least two articles in the past two years in the new york times proclaiming Apple as the standard to which all other companies should be judged-- they loved them in everything but price if i remember right...

pnw

Gus
Apr 27, 2003, 02:09 PM
Too much of what has been happening with the stock market since the dot com crash has been simple prognostication. All of these analysts are guessing on a lot of things. The market takes huge swings in consecutive days based on unfounded rumors or because Greenspan had eggs instead of oatmeal for breakfast.

Yes, Apple's stock is in the toilet right now. They dropped almost $2.00 last week for no good reason whatsoever. RUMORS from this site and from the L.A. Times caused a crash inthe price with no reason behind it. No one in the "market" knows what SJ will give us tomorrow, and if they do, they are guilty of insider trading. Yes, the stock took a big hit in 2000, but it was because they issued a stock split. The shares went from $52.00 to $26.00 in a day, which a lot of anaylists have pointed out in articles throughout the years, but they always fail to mention the stock split. I have no faith in the market right now. I think there is too much happening willy-nilly in the brokerages as far as their research is concerned.

That said, SJ did in fact resurrect Apple, but he needs something big soon, or we may have to beg Woz to come back too. :)

Regards,
Gus

Gus
Apr 27, 2003, 11:22 PM
By the way, look at this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/04/25/computers.reut/index.html

Posted just today.

Regards,
Gus

topicolo
Apr 28, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by goldmember
That's exactly the opposite of Peter Lynch's strategy. I think buying companies you know is a pretty good strategy, unless you think that other people don't like the stuff you like.

But that's the same as saying that you'll put $10k into a company because it's cool. Liking has nothing to do with whether a company is a good investment or not--only good reasons can make a company a good potential investment (unless you like gambling).

topicolo
Apr 28, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Gus

That said, SJ did in fact resurrect Apple, but he needs something big soon, or we may have to beg Woz to come back too. :)

Regards,
Gus

After him, we'll start running out of original founders to drag back. :)

Apple needs to find new income sources--it's obvious from their growth in the last decade that they can't grow at any spectacular rate by just sticking with making macs; they need to find some new market to help them stay profitable and grow into the behemoth they deserve to be.