PDA

View Full Version : New nano couple questions

Emerson
Nov 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Alright I have just ordered a new red 4gb nano to replace my slightly aging 10gb 2nd generation ipod and I have a couple of questions. I need a good hard case that will protect the nano when I throw in my backpack, I really would only like the headphone jack to be open, and the case to be easy to open, so when I get to the computer lab I can just pop it off. I looked at agent18's NanoShield Cover (http://www.agent18.com/scripts/prodview2.asp?idproductpages=6) and it looks like it might fit the bill, but I was hoping that someone could give me his/hers experience.

Now for my second question. I am looking for a good set of headphones for runnning and working out. I have been looking at the Sennheiser PMX 70 (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=5882A2F1&nplm=TJ842LL%2FA), again I was hoping someone hear could give me there feedback on using them for working out.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sesshi
Nov 14, 2006, 05:22 PM
The Nanoshield seems to have a habit of splitting into it's component pieces when dropped. Apart from that it's great protection against everyday abrasions and knocks. Like it, but I prefer Invisibleshield for protection against handling wear.

Tom B.
Nov 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
If you want a really good case, the Contour Showcase nano (http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcasenano/#) is a excellent bet. There arn't any reviews yet, because it has just come out, but all the previous Contour Showcases have been really good.
http://www.contourcase.com/_scripts/imgPopup.php?/_images/products/showcase_nano_detail_lg1.jpg

emw
Nov 15, 2006, 11:38 AM
Alright I have just ordered a new red 4gb nano

...I am looking for a good set of headphones for runnning and working out.Just a note - that combination may lead you to look into the Nike+ kit for the Nano. Pretty slick, really.

My point? The Nike+ kit requires that a little receiver bit plugs into the port on the Nano - it's about an inch long (the size of the "head" of a sync cable) and won't work with most cases.

If you are thinking of going this route, you might want to consider either an all-purpose case, or multiple cases depending on when you're using it.

BoyBach
Nov 16, 2006, 02:14 PM
Apologies in advance for 'tread-jacking' Emerson.

You said that you've upgraded from a 10GB iPod to a 4GB Nano (I'm thinking of doing the same - these new Nano's look the bees knees), so I'm assuming that your music library may be larger than the Nano's capacity (10GB to 4GB). If this is true, how do choose which music to put on your Nano? Do you use a playlist, is there an option in iTunes or is there another way of doing it?

Sorry if it seems a silly question, but it's the one 'issue' that is holding me back on my purchase at the moment.

Thanks, Andrew.

iSee
Nov 16, 2006, 02:19 PM

You said that you've upgraded from a 10GB iPod to a 4GB Nano (I'm thinking of doing the same - these new Nano's look the bees knees), so I'm assuming that your music library may be larger than the Nano's capacity (10GB to 4GB). If this is true, how do choose which music to put on your Nano? Do you use a playlist, is there an option in iTunes or is there another way of doing it?

Sorry if it seems a silly question, but it's the one 'issue' that is holding me back on my purchase at the moment.

Thanks, Andrew.

Helping the hijack along...

The Red iPod also comes in an 8GB flavor (for $50 more). It that big enough for you?

Flowbee
Nov 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
Now for my second question. I am looking for a good set of headphones for runnning and working out. I have been looking at the Sennheiser PMX 70 (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=5882A2F1&nplm=TJ842LL%2FA), again I was hoping someone hear could give me there feedback on using them for working out.

For running, I find that the in-ear headphonesand earbuds just aren't too comfortable. I haven't found a pair yet that don't make my ears sore after 30 minutes of running or so. I've tried many types and find that the classic over-the-ear walkman-style headphones are the best for running. My favorites are the Sennheiser PX-100s (http://podophile.com/2006/07/20/the-best-headphones-for-running/). They're lightweight, inexpensive, and sound great.

cecildk9999
Nov 16, 2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks, Andrew.

You can manually manage your songs and playlists through iTunes for the iPod. You can also choose which playlists you want it to update/synch to; it's all pretty friendly and easy to use. The only difference between the two options is that a manual managing list requires you to eject the device manually. I upgraded to a 4GB nano from a 20GB click wheel (old B&W model), and have had no trouble customizing my nano to get the music I want on it (it's also made me weigh what I really 'want,' since I have a 15GB Library :) )

BoyBach
Nov 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
Helping the hijack along...

The Red iPod also comes in an 8GB flavor (for $50 more). It that big enough for you?

Thanks for the reply iSee, it is the 8GB Red Nano that I'm considering (I think it looks bloody lovely :) ). But my Music Library is currently at about 19GB's of songs and 6 GB's of podcasts (I loves me some podcasts!).

I know that for storage, a 30GB iPod would be best, but for my needs (it's going live in rucksack for year of traveling) the Nano plus points are compelling - solid state storage, 'rugged' design (read Aluminium case) and the 24 hour battery life - and make it the ideal iPod for me.

But that still leaves the question of how do I control what music syncs to the Nano?

Sesshi
Nov 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
Smart Playlists.

You can use them to sync a subset of your library in an intelligent way.
You can mix and match smart playlists with manually created playlists, so you have a balance of automatically selected music and music which you might specifically want to listen to on that day. It's all pretty easy and one of the major advantages of the iPod compared to any other MP3 player. I'm surprised more people don't know about it.

Separately, Podcasts can be synced by 'x newest', 'x newest not yet listened to' etc.

BoyBach
Nov 17, 2006, 04:11 AM
You can manually manage your songs and playlists through iTunes for the iPod. You can also choose which playlists you want it to update/synch to; it's all pretty friendly and easy to use. The only difference between the two options is that a manual managing list requires you to eject the device manually. I upgraded to a 4GB nano from a 20GB click wheel (old B&W model), and have had no trouble customizing my nano to get the music I want on it (it's also made me weigh what I really 'want,' since I have a 15GB Library :) )

Thanks cecildk9999. I didn't know that you can manually sync an iPod.

You're right about having to think long and hard about which music to put on the Nano, since it's going to be on it for maybe as long as a year!

Smart Playlists.

You can use them to sync a subset of your library in an intelligent way.
You can mix and match smart playlists with manually created playlists, so you have a balance of automatically selected music and music which you might specifically want to listen to on that day. It's all pretty easy and one of the major advantages of the iPod compared to any other MP3 player. I'm surprised more people don't know about it.

Why didn't I think of Smart Playlists? I've got enough of them on iTunes and my iPod!

Thanks for the help everyone, and apologies again for 'nicking' somebody elses thread! :)

Emerson
Nov 29, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all of your replies, I have decided to get the Nike+ gear so now I am looking at getting the Nike armband for running and this case (http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/7/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=244&wosid=TwIcmbXn9yMfNO9ebDTerw)for everyday were and tear. The case offers everything I want, full protection with teh ability to slide it open and use the click wheel. Please let me know if you hear any reviews of the case, thanks again.

Flowbee thanks for the headphones advice, I think I am going to try the ipod earbuds, then if I have problems I might look into the PX-100s. By the way your website is great full of useful and fun information.

Flowbee
Nov 29, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all of your replies, I have decided to get the Nike+ gear so now I am looking at getting the Nike armband for running...

Flowbee thanks for the headphones advice, I think I am going to try the ipod earbuds, then if I have problems I might look into the PX-100s. By the way your website is great full of useful and fun information.

Thanks, it's always nice to hear that people are finding my site useful.:)

A couple of things about the Nike armband: First, make sure you get the "Nike+" version, and not the regular Nike armband, as it doesn't have room for the little Sport Kit reciever that plugs into the nano.

Second, the Nike armbands are small. I have very average-sized arms and the Large was too tight for me. My 5'3, 125 lb wife wears it comfortably. I'd recommend trying one on before you buy, if possible.

Have fun with your new stuff!