Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikron2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
i've got an intel core duo macbook that i bought a few months ago and i'm trying to get the video out to work on my hdtv...i've got a 46" mitsubishi that is about 7 years old, but is hd (960i resolution on the tv, but also will display from 1080i source). i bought a mini dvi to vga adapter from the apple store and from ram electronics bought a vga to component video adapter to connect to the mits. i also downloaded display configx to match the resolution to my tv. when i connect it i get all kinds of crazy purple lines and occasionally the screen will show whats on the macbook but its all fuzzy and purple then it goes away. i was just wondering whether anybody has had any success trying this or whether it will work to begin with. the only other option i can think of is the tv has an rgb input for hd as well so i could try going from vga to rgb to see if that works...but i'd like to use component so i can keep the tv settings and connect to my denon receiver. i'd appreciate any suggestions. thanks

nordesmic

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
It sounds like there might be a problem with the component cable. I had a similar problem (purple lines etc.) with my old dvd player when I tried connecting it by component cable to my new Panasonic Plasma. I never worked out the problem but I think it might have something to do with compatability between component connections. As I understand it there are two different variants of component, YPbPr and YCbCr. Some older electronics (Your TV and my old DVD) use YCbCr, which is not fully compatable with YPbPr. So you still get a picture, but the colours are distorted. Could also be a problem with the cable.

I suggest you try the VGA cable. I use this from my iBook and it works well.

Hope this helps

mikron2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
i was thinking that might be a possibility. i need to call ram to see if they know about it. the cable i bought said its meant for the YPbPr and thats what is on the back of both of the tvs that i've tried connecting them to...if ram tells me i need there $375 transcoder i'll send the cable back and try an rgb cable. thanks for the input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.