PDA

View Full Version : car head unit + iPod integration

regre7
Nov 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
I'm looking to replace the head unit (CD player) in my truck for Christmas, and I want it to have iPod integration, not just an aux in. I've talked to a gearhead friend at school, and he recommended Sony, Alpine, and Kenwood, but I'm really lost. I'm looking to spend less than $200, including whatever cables I'll need.

Does anyone own a good system who would be willing to recommend it?

ExileinBlonde
Nov 15, 2006, 08:19 PM
Alpine.
My advice would be get an Alpine CDA-9851, CDA-9830, or a CDA-9833 and an KCA-420i.

weldon
Nov 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
An Alpine CDA-9856 (current model) and the KCE-422i (current adapter) will push your budget.

I'm going through the process of choosing a head unit for my Jeep and I've decided to buy the Sony CDX-GT510 and just use a mini-jack cable to the front aux input. The iPod integration usually has some compromises like no browse by genre, limit on playlists, limit on characters displayed for song title, artist, etc. It's more convenient for me to set the iPod in a cup holder stand in the center console and just use the iPod controls.

Right now, you can get $20 off at Crutchfield by using the code "3A706". I'm going to buy the CDX-GT510 for $115 ($140 -$20 coupon -$5 credit) and that includes shipping and all of the installation brackets and wiring harnesses that I need. It works out to be a much better deal than a local store, at least for me.

I can also get a $20 credit if you enter my referral code 'pc1gs-wbsz1-sewkh' at checkout. If you didn't know about the coupon and get $20 off, it would be nice to remember me so I can get some love from Crutchfield.

bousozoku
Nov 15, 2006, 11:53 PM
I've had two Alpine head units and I'm quite pleased. They always seem to have useful innovations without the flash.