Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthews1492

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Has anyone ever seen/heard of consumer printers out there that will print COMPLETELY waterproof prints. I've tried using wet acrylic paint ontop of inkjet prints before and as you can imagine it got pretty messy. The ink really reacts strangely to water and will change colors. Or is there a workaround that I haven't thought of to get prints that can be manipulated in the physical world.

Thanks in advance!

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
A laser printer perhaps?, printing on white acetate (white transparency film) this combination would be completely water proof and last for a long time.

A cheap consumer colour laser though may be a challenge.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
actually I remember going to Best Buy in Los Angeles, and they had a demo of a print sample in a water bottle and the lady would shake the bottle really hard to show how the ink is really good. I think it was either Epson or Canon and you have to get their special paper thats resistant to water or something like that. Its possible just fergot >< what model i saw.

Good luck share your results if you find anything on it.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Thermal printer maybe? I know they are the only ones that print on DVDs that are truly waterproof.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
What are you asking for - waterproof or paint proof?
If your paints have an oil or solvent base, thats a different requirement.

Thermal transfer printing (transfer ribbon)
Solid ink (Xerox 'wax crayon' printing)
Dye Sublimation printing
Some inkjet printing if using waterfast ink formulations

Each have their own plusses and minuses. The solid ink printing is waterproof and can print on various media, like tyvek and canvas. But it is not heat proof at all. Inkjet printing is highly dependent on the media. Dye Sublimation can only use specialized media.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
My Epson is supposed to be waterproof, I haven't put prints into water or anything, but I've gotten some documents wet, and they didn't smear or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.