PDA

View Full Version : Freehand or Photoshop for this design?

JohnBreisch
Nov 14, 2006, 09:15 PM
Im hoping this isnt too hard to understand what I am trying to get across.
I would like to create some icons for a design I am doing.
I want to take an object and turn it gray. I want to be able to make out whhat the object is also. Apple had some stuff like this on their website with a picture of the macbook and ipod grayed out. its probably real easy, Im just trying to figure out the best way. Thanks

iMeowbot
Nov 14, 2006, 09:22 PM
Are you looking to make the objects dimmed, or silhouettes, or something else? Is the original stuff photos or drawings?

JohnBreisch
Nov 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
they are actual graphics different websites. I want to turn those graphics greay so I can just see the outlines. I dont want any detail in them.
Like, I can take a graphic of a powerbook and use my line tool and then turn it gray but I want an easier way than drawing the graphic out.

JohnBreisch
Nov 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
maybe silhouettes, but grey. Can you do a graphic of an ipod a silhouettes and show me?

dogbone
Nov 15, 2006, 12:48 AM
It sounds like you are looking for an easier way but the best way to do what you want is to draw the outline with the pen tool so you have it as an editable object then use that to make a selection and fill with gray.

Nym
Nov 15, 2006, 05:40 AM
If it's just silhouettes you want you should use a Vector editing program, although Photoshop can use "Path's" it's mainly a pixel editing software, not as complete as Illustrator or Freehand MX in the way it deals with vectors.

I would definitely use Illustrator :)

Mookamoo
Nov 15, 2006, 07:48 AM
You need to use Illustrator or Fireworks.

Freehand is ultimately just a publishing programme and using Photoshop for paths is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

JohnBreisch
Nov 15, 2006, 02:42 PM
here is an example of what I want to do. I want to make any graphic this line art but filled in.

dnadna
Nov 15, 2006, 03:01 PM
illustrator all the way.

JohnBreisch
Nov 15, 2006, 03:44 PM
is there a keystroke tho that I can use to import a picture and turn it to line art?

Nym
Nov 16, 2006, 08:08 AM
In illustrator, create a new document, go to File -> Place, then select the picture that you want to convert to line art and open it.
After that it's how you want it, you can either select the pen tool and vectorize it by hand (which I advise) or select the picture and in the tools options palette (on the top, below the menu bar) click on "Live Paint" and from the drop down arrow menu select the preset that achieves the result you want. Anyway, If it's a simple object like an iPod, I'd recommend you to use the circle, round square and pen tools, it's very easy to do once you get the hang of it :)