Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

griflet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
my 20gb ipod photo died a week ago :( been carrying my pbook around - talk about portable music. kept getting the sad smiley face - and i've attempted to put it into disk mode, and charged it for a long long time.

but i brought it to an apple shop and they said the cost of repairing it wouldnt be worth it. the one-year warranty on it just ran out, and it's just over a year old! AND i've had it replaced before for a faulty click wheel...

makes me kind of hesitate before i think about getting a new ipod... 300 bucks and it lasted all of a year?

so, i guess the question is really... is the ipod nano going to be more durable?

thanks in advance...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
it sounds like there was an error with the hard drive in your first iPod. The nanos dont have a HDD in them so break down, so i would say they are more durable in that respect. They haven't been out long enough for people to find problems which happen over time, though.

From what i have heard, the nanos are brilliant players. A lot of people here would strongly recommend them :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My 4G iPod with Click wheel (ie: the last iPod with black and white screen) just died. The HD won't turn back on, so yep......time for a new one!

Since Oz doesn't get the Red iPod Nano (yet), I'm going to get a green one. I loves me the green goodness. I'm just going to wait 4 days so that I can get my GST back in 29 days when I leave this country on vacation. :)

Get one, I say. :) I think the HD iPods, and any other HD-based music player that you're going to just throw into a pocket and walk around with, is going to have more problems than an iPod with flash memory.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
shuffle

I think that you should get the shuffle. It's small and portable! that's just my vote though

astarling06

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Manhattan, KS
My current iPod (20GB) is one I bought after I got the sad face icon on it. I took it in and they told me that it was dead. I was only 3 days out of the one year warranty. They gave me 10% off on a new one. I know that's not much but it's better than paying the full 300. If you have more than one Apple store near you, go to a different one than the one you went to so it looks like it is the first time you came in with the problem.:D

griflet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
i'll try bringing it in, but the apple customer service here is not particularly well known for being extra customer-oriented.. doubtful i'll get any discount at all. will give it a go though.

yea the shuffle seems good for price (assuming 1 year lifespan :( not too optimistic anymore), but the red nano is hot :p

and i had a problem with my clickwheel too. totally un-touch sensitive..

thanks for all the advice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.