Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnadna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Hello everyone,

i really can't wait to get a laptop and switch to Mac.
However i am a student and i really don't want to spend $2.5k on a laptop that wouldn't let me connect to my university wireless and has a really grainy display.

So i am asking:

how much time do you guys think it will be safe to wait to get a MBP C2D with all of these issues fixed?

I know that noone can know this.. but i'm just asking you to guess :D

Thanks!

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Our guesses are meaningless.... If it meets what you have been expected, you are happy, if majority think that it will be earlier than what you expected, you'll be more happier.. And vice versa.... You got my point???

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Well Apple would have to stop cutting corners and that might take some time. If you dont want a MBP with a crappy display you might wanna look elsewhere.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Not to sound like an Apple Apoligest but what type of Crappy Wireless does your University Use that Apple Cannont connect to it. I have been able to connect my 667Mhz Powerbook that is about 5 years old any wireless connection that I had a password for. That is an 802.11b card. As far as I know the new cards are 802.11n draft. Which are pritty much the latestest and greatest.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
right now.

my new c2d MBP has a clear display and great wireless.

do not let a few people on a forum complaining make you think the entire line is bad; it isn't.

I agree... my display looks great and haven't had any issues with wireless at all (and its the only method I use to connect to the internet at home and work).

If you're reading message boards and using that as a gauge for when you should purchase.. it'll be a long wait.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Have you gone to an Apple store or any place that sells apple computers and actually looked at the screen for youself to judge it yourself. Or did you just read some rablings on the internet? Many times these arguments are from Highly Anal graphic designers who are not happy unless they are looking out an open window. Then taken by guys who couldn't tell a good display from a Monochrome Amber Vision Display, and spreaded, who use it to make them selves feel good about their POS Dell that they got. So they can point out how much better the graphics are. (really have have had this debate with people who are severly colorblind, where they couldn't use my phone because he didn't know which one was the green and the red button). PC Guys have been making excuses for years for reasons not to buy a Mac.
Mhz, One Button Mouse, Lack of upgradability, Small Keyboard, Price, Unable to install Windows... So Apple has fixed many of these complaints now their bitching about Screen Resolution.

Can you get a system with better specs then apple.... YES apple computers are designed to meet the 80/20 rule. They tend to leave out the highest end stuff and they also leave out the crappy junk stuff. So 80% of the people will be very happy with the product.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Have you gone to an Apple store or any place that sells apple computers and actually looked at the screen for youself to judge it yourself. Or did you just read some rablings on the internet? Many times these arguments are from Highly Anal graphic designers who are not happy unless they are looking out an open window. Then taken by guys who couldn't tell a good display from a Monochrome Amber Vision Display, and spreaded, who use it to make them selves feel good about their POS Dell that they got. So they can point out how much better the graphics are. (really have have had this debate with people who are severly colorblind, where they couldn't use my phone because he didn't know which one was the green and the red button). PC Guys have been making excuses for years for reasons not to buy a Mac.
Mhz, One Button Mouse, Lack of upgradability, Small Keyboard, Price, Unable to install Windows... So Apple has fixed many of these complaints now their bitching about Screen Resolution.

Nope not highly anal, just a regular user who finds it unacceptable that a "pro" laptop ships with what appears to be a very crappy display. No Im not saying that all of them are but all the ones Ive seen so far have the uneven backlighting and this horrible disgusting hazy grainy effect on it. You thinking its about resolution just goes to show what you know about the problem...nothing!

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
for the record, i am a Highly Anal™ graphic designer and i think the laptop screen looks as good as any other laptop screen i have seen.

Well, youve either good a good MBP or youve previously had really crappy laptops.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
you are missing the point - it looks as good as any other laptop screen; which is to say that serious color and print work is not going to be very good on it. i have never seen a laptop screen that approaches a desktop LCD or CRT for critical color correction, etc; its just the nature of the beast.

for day to day layout, work, even games, etc... its great; perfect even. but before i send anything off to production i want to see it on another monitor to make sure it looks accurate.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
you are missing the point - it looks as good as any other laptop screen; which is to say that serious color and print work is not going to be very good on it. i have never seen a laptop screen that approaches a desktop LCD or CRT for critical color correction, etc; its just the nature of the beast.

for day to day layout, work, even games, etc... its great; perfect even. but before i send anything off to production i want to see it on another monitor to make sure it looks accurate.

Im not missing anything, its grainy and sort of distorted, to the point where I actually get a headache. I know its a laptop and its not gonna be as good as a crt but my 12" pb looked better, somethings wrong.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
what did apple say about it? (i assume you have spoken with them) if it is defective then they should replace it, right?

They are replacing it.

Heres what kills me though, I was in my local Apple store and the display models all looked the same pretty much. The viewing angle or uneven brightness is not what gets to me, its mostly the grainy effect. I know most LCDs have this but on my MBP it was extreme. When moving finder windows around I could actually see this bumpy grainy texture on top of everything. It was giving me a headache.

wookyhoo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Devon, England
Mine too is great. Display is perfect, wireless reception is pretty exceptional (I'm detecting access points from houses a LONG way up my street).

Go into an Apple Store, check the laptops out for yourself, then buy one. :)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Im not missing anything, its grainy and sort of distorted, to the point where I actually get a headache. I know its a laptop and its not gonna be as good as a crt but my 12" pb looked better, somethings wrong.

If you're 12" PB screen looked better - then you've got a defective screen. I also had a 12" PB (2 actually) and the screen on my MBP is miles better than the 12" PB screen - and I didn't think the PB screen was that bad...

Take it back to the store and exchange it, they aren't all as bad as you're current one is.

dnadna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Hey guys thanks for the replies, i already planned to go into an Apple Center (Don't have any Apple Stores yet here, i live in Rome).

I will then judge the display and buy one..

for the WiFi issue, if i really can't connect... can i buy an Express\34 WiFi (just b or g) Card? Will that work before they get a firmware update?

Obviously hoping i will not need all of this :D

dnadna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
went this morning it the apple center near my place...

thay still have no MBPs over there.. i just saw some macbooks and they look fine even if they are really small.. :(

now i'm again afraid, cause i never saw one...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
However i am a student and i really don't want to spend $2.5k on a laptop that wouldn't let me connect to my university wireless

What's the issue here? My powerbook connects to every wireless network I've ever shown it. Even our Uni system which requires a cisco vpn client.

Edit: I'd get a new macbook if I were you.

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
Same for me, no drama abbout the display, (It doesn't give me headaches) and a better wi-fi reception that my previous Vaio, so, don't be afraid, look at one yourself and decide.
Also, If 2,5k€ is a problem, then ask yourself if a MB is enough
good luck

DesignDJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2006
I was at my local apple store and compared the MBP 15" C2D screen to the MB CD screen and the MBP 17" CD screen. The 15" C2D screen was OBVIOUSLY grainy in comparison to both. I pointed it out to a few store employees and they were like, "oh yeah, look at that, something doesn't look right". We tried adjusting the settings but we weren't able to fix it. I noticed this grainy screen BEFORE I read anything about it online... so it is a noticeable problem.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I was at my local apple store and compared the MBP 15" C2D screen to the MB CD screen and the MBP 17" CD screen. The 15" C2D screen was OBVIOUSLY grainy in comparison to both. I pointed it out to a few store employees and they were like, "oh yeah, look at that, something doesn't look right". We tried adjusting the settings but we weren't able to fix it. I noticed this grainy screen BEFORE I read anything about it online... so it is a noticeable problem.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.