Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewwerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Has anyone seen the 17" c2d mbp in stores yet. the apple store near me (cleveland ohio) claims that they are a small store and consequently get last dibs. :mad:

drewwerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I fear the thanksgiving prediction is right. I called my local store, and amazingly, somone commited to a number of day rather than the useual "soon" 5-7 days, but she reserved one for me when they come like that helps.... NOT. worthless help, i want it now i have to travel this weekend and i need it for work.:mad:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
on-line Apple Store is now showing "3-5 business days"

Guess we'll have to wait and see if that affects the brick & mortar store's deliveries.

Mine open in 20minutes....

neophenix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
Coworker called the King of Prussia store in PA about an hour ago asking about one and was told that he should just order it online, it would be faster

jmelrose

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2004
Orlando, FL
I fear the thanksgiving prediction is right. I called my local store, and amazingly, somone commited to a number of day rather than the useual "soon" 5-7 days, but she reserved one for me when they come like that helps.... NOT. worthless help, i want it now i have to travel this weekend and i need it for work.:mad:

:confused:
NEED it for work?

You WANT it for work. If you really NEEDed it for work, it certainly seems that you would have something already.

And if you really truly needed it by this weekend, shouldn't an order have been in to the online store weeks ago?

A quote comes to mind: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

At least they are shipping them to the customers who ordered before giving them to the stores. That seems fair. Why should someone get to walk in a store and take one home when others have been waiting weeks for online orders to ship? (Custom orders excepted).

But I hope you have a lovely trip!:eek:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Coworker called the King of Prussia store in PA about an hour ago asking about one and was told that he should just order it online, it would be faster

Maybe he was tired of the 1400 phone calls every hour? :D

A couple of stores I've called over the last couple days sound like they're battle worn from the queries. (no - I only called once a day... :) )

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
And if you really truly needed it by this weekend, shouldn't an order have been in to the online store weeks ago?

Not sure of other's reasons for not ordering on-line, but for me it's worth waiting until it's physically in the store so I can check it out before taking it home (dead-pixels in particular). I have quite a few stores within an 90min. drive.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I wasn't sure that I would be buying one at this point or not so added my name to the list at a store the day after they were announced. Now I'm debating if I should just go ahead and order one online or if one will actually show up at the store in the next few days.

I would hate to have one ordered (that I couldn't cancel) if the store does get one in first. Oh well, I guess there are a heck of a lot bigger problems in the world.

sine

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Brooklyn NY
In New York City -Yes

I just got back from the Apple store in NYC in Soho.

They did have 17" MBPs in stock -but they were all glossy.

They did not have any on display though, just in the stock room.

I believe they are selling fast --when I initially called, the woman on the phone specifically said that she couldn't guarantee that there would be any left when I got there.

I actually was going to buy one today and cancel my BTO order (extra ram) but it turns out that you can't redeem the $100 cash back printer offer unless both it and the MBP are on the same receipt (I have received and have been using the printer). This was revealed to me by a smart store employee who actually called Apple to verify this.

So much for instant gratification, my waiting resumes.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
That's good to know. Odd they were CTO's (glossy), but at least they are making it to the brick & mortar stores. I'm on the wait list for a matte, and a friend's on same list for glossy - he'll be happy to hear this.

They do receive shipments on Saturday, so there's a slim chance for the weekend. Not looking good, though.

drewwerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Good news

I just picked up a new 17" from the Cleveland store, but i guess they did not get enough in to fill the reserved list, so none for open sale. I was just cool enough to be in the first 3 that reserved one. :D now on to post endless n00b questions about laptops cause this is my first, i had always been a powermac tower kind of guy b4

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
tokyo
the FLAGSHIP apple store in ginza says they have NO IDEA when they will have the 17-inchers in. i am on the list, though apparently not high enough T-T

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Bostan area alert

I'm in a good mood guys -- got a new Mac Pro on Friday!:D

What's that got to do with this thread, you ask? My name is 2nd on the list at the Rockingham Park Apple Store in the beautiful tax free NH. If you live near this store, you can have my spot! Unfortunately, the only way it will work is for you to post your telephone number. I'll call the store and give them your number to call back when they get the 17" C2Ds in. Just remember to say your name is Andy and you'll be all set :)

This is not a joke, just an attemt to spread some good karma.

EDIT: I just realized that you can PM me your phone number. First one gets my spot in the line.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Los Angeles Area - 2 Stores

Just picked up mine from Apple Store Topanga/Canoga Park, CA. Northridge, CA also has them.

Matte, Stock.
This one's perfect (normal notebook bright area along bottom). No dead pixels. Nothing abnormal about "grain" - looks like a LCD. Store too noisy to tell anything about noise.

I say "this one", because the the first one I looked at (yes, they had more than one), has blochyness to the screen. There was a thumbsize bright area in the upper right corner, and 2 brighter areas left and right of center. The UR "blotch" was too much for me to accept - especially comparing it to a CD 17" they had on display. Anyway, just swapped machines right then and there. Much better finding out right at purchase time - especially since I live 90 miles away.

Now on to migrating from my PBG4. Oh - and "woo-hoo".

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
tokyo
i have received word that they have the C2D 17" units on display at the apple store in ginza, tokyo!! whether or not they're actually on sale yet is not confirmed!! either way, they didn't call me, even though i'm supposedly on the list.

what does that mean?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I was just at the south plaza shopping center and went into the Apple store (California). I don't know about the stock of the 17", but the base model was still a 2.16GHz Core Duo. My guess would be that they haven't gotten them in yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.