PDA

View Full Version : Slow iMAC 24" G5 Duo Core??? Help...

cyberwgh05t
Nov 16, 2006, 01:12 AM
I have recently purchased an iMAC 24" duo core and although it is physically impressive it certainly hasn't impressed me with its speed. I am running the Adobe Creative Suite and use the computer for designing. The designing I do is by no means complex, and comps with lower specs have performed much faster.

Please help!

I have already done the following:

1. Down loaded a System Optimiser program
2. Run the applications manager and nothing is showing more than 10% CPU usage
3. Update all my Adobe software
4. Currently downloading the latest OS-X system update.

Should the update not change the current performance should I take the machine back? The Adobe software installed wasn't expensive (if you know what I mean) so could this be causing the issues?

Please help!!!

bartelby
Nov 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
First small point: it's not a G5.

2nd: how much RAM is installed?

swiftaw
Nov 16, 2006, 01:16 AM
I have recently purchased an iMAC 24" duo core and although it is physically impressive it certainly hasn't impressed me with its speed. I am running the Adobe Creative Suite and use the computer for designing. The designing I do is by no means complex, and comps with lower specs have performed much faster.

Please help!

I have already done the following:

1. Down loaded a System Optimiser program
2. Run the applications manager and nothing is showing more than 10% CPU usage
3. Update all my Adobe software
4. Currently downloading the latest OS-X system update.

Should the update not change the current performance should I take the machine back? The Adobe software installed wasn't expensive (if you know what I mean) so could this be causing the issues?

Please help!!!

I believe that Adobe software isn't a Universal Binary yet, therefore it is the PPC version running under Rosetta, which will slow it down considerably.

Also, how much RAM do you have?

CanadaRAM
Nov 16, 2006, 01:29 AM
You need a minimum of 1.5 Gb RAM for the Adobe suite to perform to potential.

Also make sure you have 10.4.8 and all updates.

Then, make do the best you can until Adobe updates the suite.

Oh, and if I understand what you mean, then go and buy the frackin' software and quitcherbitchin.

gnasher729
Nov 16, 2006, 01:29 AM
The Adobe software installed wasn't expensive (if you know what I mean) so could this be causing the issues?

I think we know what you mean.

Seems you got what you paid for.

Bobjob186
Nov 16, 2006, 02:20 AM
your problem is running Abobe CS2 or whatever suite you have under Rosetta. It's going to run so slow its not even funny. Just chill out and wait for CS3 or pick up a g4 or g5 for the wait time. Cross your fingers for first Quarter of 2007 for CS3.

cyberwgh05t
Nov 16, 2006, 05:43 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like I must wait for CS3. I'm running the standard 1GG RAM that comes with the machine.

I've heard it's easy to upgrade to 2GB RAM but I have no idea where to start with this.

swiftaw
Nov 16, 2006, 05:46 AM
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like I must wait for CS3. I'm running the standard 1GG RAM that comes with the machine.

I've heard it's easy to upgrade to 2GB RAM but I have no idea where to start with this.

The iMac has two RAM slots, if you got the standard configuration then that means that each of these is currently filled with a 512MB module. Thus, to upgrade to 2GB you would need to replace both of these with 1GB modules.

You could also just replace one of the 512MB modules with a 1GB module, giving you 1.5GB of RAM.

The RAM slots are under a panel on the underside of the iMac, 4 screws hold the panel in place.

cyberwgh05t
Nov 16, 2006, 06:03 AM
Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase the extra RAM? I also assume the installation is something I can do myself quite easily.

Is everyone else out there with the iMAC 24" experiencing any issues?

RobTuck
Nov 16, 2006, 06:46 AM
Ive always bought my RAM from crucial. They make it very easy for you to find which RAM you need for your system.

www.crucial.com

Piarco
Nov 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
Can anyone recommend the best place to purchase the extra RAM? I also assume the installation is something I can do myself quite easily.

Is everyone else out there with the iMAC 24" experiencing any issues?

As the others have stated, its not an issue with the iMac - you're running PPC software in emulation, and simply need more memory. There are many threads here on MR about sources of cheap memory, so I suggest you use the search function.
And buy the software. Illegal software usage is not a thing to boast about in a thread, and is a surefire way to get a thread wastelanded at the very least.:mad:

MSM Hobbes
Nov 16, 2006, 08:06 AM
As the others have stated, its not an issue with the iMac - you're running PPC software in emulation, and simply need more memory. There are many threads here on MR about sources of cheap memory, so I suggest you use the search function.
And buy the software. Illegal software usage is not a thing to boast about in a thread, and is a surefire way to get a thread wastelanded at the very least.:mad:

Would it be good for someone [hint, hint ;)] to create a sticky for the issue of RAM in the iMac, since it does come up so frequently?