Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hey guys,

Not to beat a dead horse with a new topic, but the old post is pretty long, and filled with a lot of information. Basically the point of this post is to help figure out if the issue plagues all 15" C2D MBPs or just some. PLEASE read the whole post before posting anything...

Alright.. I would just like everybody (please, as many of you as possible who have the C2D MBP--15" only!) to post here and tell me a couple of things:

Do you believe your computer has the grain issue?

For those who believe their computer DOESN'T have the grain issue
Have you seen a 15" C2D MBP IN PERSON (this is important) that you noticed DOES have the grain issue?

For those who believe their computer DOES have the grain issue
Have you seen a 15" C2D MBP IN PERSON that you noticed DOES NOT have the grain issue?

I cannot stress the importance of the honesty of everybody who posts here... if possible, please keep the posts short and to the point. Basically I want to determine if this issue is something that only certain people notice (and therefore one that possibly plagues the whole line), or if it is an issue that everybody notices (and therefore EVERYBODY would be happy--grainwise at least--with a good version of the LCD).

If people who notice the issue have seen C2D MBPs that dont display this issue, it would seem that this problem is in fact not endemic. Likewise if people with a grain-free LCD have noticed LCDs plagued with this problem, this too would suggest that the problem does not affect all computers. If, on the other hand, posters have NOT seen both versions of the computer, it would seem that this issue is purely subjective (and the grain is therefore apparent to some, and others for some lucky reason can't notice it).

The success of this thread depends on the number of posts, so again, everybody please take a minute to answer the simple questions--its MUCH appreciated! Thanks

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I had the grainy issue, it was awful and my MBP has been sent back. I have yet to see a MBP 15" C2D without the issue.

Ps. Im not an anal graphic designer. Just a regular user.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
For those who believe their computer DOES have the grain issue
Have you seen a 15" C2D MBP IN PERSON that you noticed DOES NOT have the grain issue?

Every MBP I have seen in person, either Core Duo or new Core 2 Duo, have all had the grain issue.

Today I should be taking delivery of a new C2D MBP. I will report back on the display quality.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
OK, I've just had a new C2D MBP delivered.

Screen does have some grain, but it seems not to be quite as bad as my last CD MBP, although I can't be sure as don't have both laptops side by side. Screen model is the 9C60. No dead pixels. Viewing angle isn't great, but it's the same as every other MBP I've seen.

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
9C60 here.

There is grain on this MBP, it's not unbearable and I wouldn't have noticed this but for the grainy thread on this forum. No shimmer either.

Haven't seen any other MBPs yet so can't comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.