Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dionisio23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Hi everyone,

I will be starting school in the fall and am looking into buying a new PowerBook over the summer. I was looking at the school's requirements when I found this statement about wireless network access:

"The only card that is compatible with our Cisco base station is the Cisco Aironet 350 Series 11Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card Adapter W/128-BIT WEP."

My question is whether Airport cards will be able to work with this system? I imagine asking the college people will get me an immediate "no" but surely... ?

Thanks!
Edward

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Re: Question: Airport compatibility

I don't see why it wouldn't. They both work on the 802.11b standard, so there's no real reason that your AirPort card can't work, unless there's something your schools IT did, or something I'm missing.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
From the following URL at the University of California:

http://wireless.ucr.edu/compatlist.htm

"UCR Computing has done all testing of the wireless network on campus using Cisco Aironet series cards, and has had no known issues. Therefore, the Cisco Aironet series cards are the only cards that UCR Computing can guarantee are fully compatibile with the UCR wireless network."

"Students must understand that by purchasing a non-Cisco card, students are running the risk that the card will not be compatible with the UCR wireless network."

Known Fully Compatible Cards:

Cisco Aironet 340
Cisco Aironet 350
Apple Airport Card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.