PDA

View Full Version : Zune sales -- hit or flop?

Rojo
Nov 16, 2006, 12:16 PM
Ok, I have to admit, I'm curious about the Zune.

No, not the actual player -- it looks/sounds truly terrible, and I can't understand why anyone would pick it over an iPod. And even if I wanted it, I'm a Mac guy -- so it's useless to me.

But I AM curious whether people will actually buy this thing, and why.
Do we have any idea of how well it's sold so far? Or does that kind of information take a while to reach the public? Is there anyone here who works at a store that's selling the Zune that can give us an idea of how well it's selling?

I'm not really worried about it taking over sales of the iPod or anything. I can't see how it would, but even if it did, I'm not the kind of person who really cares about that kind of thing anyway. I use OS X when most of the world is on Windows, and I'm fine with that -- all I care about is the better product being available. If anything, if Zune sales are outrageous, it will just force Apple to make even better iPods -- and everyone wins.

No, the reason I want to know about Zune sales is more out of curiousity of human behavior. Will people fall for the Zune's gimmicks (ineffective wifi, customizable backgrounds for a device that's in your pocket 99% of the time, etc.). Or will people buy it for the MicroSoft name? Will there be Apple haters who buy it simply because it's NOT an iPod, and because no one else has it? Or will buyers stay away in droves, due to the bad press it's been getting and the incompatibility with Vista?

Either way, I'm REALLY curious....!! :D

QuarterSwede
Nov 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
All I know is that I haven't seen one person even looking at the display at the Target I work at. I think it'll flop personally. Everyone is used to the click wheel and the Zune's looks like it but doesn't operate the same.

princealfie
Nov 16, 2006, 01:02 PM
It bombing. I was the only person at Best Buy who poked my fingers at the model displays. There was a full shelf of those in the bottom glass cases. Not empty of Zzzzzunes.

Mal
Nov 16, 2006, 01:03 PM
No one's even asked about it at RadioShack where I work. There's two of us that are big Mac guys anyways, and the others we've mostly convinced that the iPods are by far the best, so it's unlikely we'll convince anyone to go for it. Add that to the fact that we don't have them in stock, and you have a recipe for a total flop as far as our store in concerned.

Yes, I'm happy about it.

jW

emotion
Nov 16, 2006, 01:08 PM
I reckon if MS subsidised the price on these things (XBOX style) to, say, $150 they'd fly off the shelves. It's not over yet.

cecildk9999
Nov 16, 2006, 01:08 PM
It took a long time for the iPod to really become a staple in the US; I remember that I found out about it through a friend who had one (when the scroll wheel and key buttons were still seperate), and thought it was the coolest thing ever. About 6 months after I got one, I really started seeing the earbuds all over campus. The only way Zune can be successful is if it offers a real experience that many people will want. Other people have said it on the site before, and I agree; when I listen to music, it's usually to tune others out, not to share it. The wi-fi is the only 'unique' feature, and it's not a strong selling point. Therefore, Zune doesn't go anywhere (and most people equate te brand Microsoft with work, not so much leisure and fun).

In regards to your remark about Apple haters, I think the market is starting to change. Although we still have the die-hards (and there are a lot in each camp) who will defend the product and platform to the death, the more moderate crowd may be swayed over. Case in point: my sister's fiance said just one year ago that he'd never be won over to an Apple computer. Now, he said he's been looking longingly at the iMacs whenever he goes to the Michigan Ave store in Chicago; the features, ease of use, and form are all very compelling.

Rojo
Nov 16, 2006, 01:27 PM
I reckon if MS subsidised the price on these things (XBOX style) to, say, $150 they'd fly off the shelves. It's not over yet.

It's possible -- but hasn't it been said that M$ is already going to be losing money on the Zune hardware? I'd be shocked to see them be willing to lose even MORE money by lowering the price. Then again, they're spending billions already... why not?

I don't know about the XBox situation, but I feel like if they lowered the price so drastically it would just smack of desperation -- making anyone think it MUST be a crappy device, if they had to lower it so much to get anyone to buy it.

Call me crazy, but even if I had a PC for it to work on, and I was looking at a 30GB Zune for $150 or a 30GB iPod for $250, I think I'd STILL go for the iPod. At least I'd have a better-looking, more stable device, with more content to download from its store -- plus some guaranteed reliability that it's not going to go away any time soon. With the Zune, I don't really know if it's going to be around in a year or not, or if it will continue to get support. Everything about it just seems "iffy" to me....

emotion
Nov 16, 2006, 01:28 PM
Call me crazy, but even if I had a PC for it to work on, and I was looking at a 30GB Zune for $150 or a 30GB iPod for $250, I think I'd STILL go for the iPod.

Yup me too.

netdog
Nov 16, 2006, 01:29 PM
Zune 1.0 = Flop
Zune 3.1 will crush all comers

Chundles
Nov 16, 2006, 01:44 PM
Zune 1.0 = Flop

Except iPod 7 will be better but we'll start hitting an alternate system:

iPod 1.0 Excellent, nothing else like it
iPod 2.0 Ditto
iPod 3.0 Different design, some competition but nothing huge
iPod 4.0
iPod 4.5
iPod 5.0
iPod 5.5Zune 1.0 - FlopZune 2.0 - Not as big a flopZune 3.1 - excellentZune 3.11 for Workgroups - rare
iPod 6.0 - more of the sameZune 95 - massive rip off of iPod 6.0 but nobody cares, iPod starts to lose ground
iPod 7 - better than Zune 95 but nobody caresZune 98 - better than Zune 95
iPod 8Zune 2000 - the best Zune ever
iPod 9 - still good, but getting smashed by ZuneZune ME - horrible
iPod X and Zune XP - iPod's new design destroys Zune XP which languishes for years.
iPod X.1
iPod X.2
iPod X.3 - iPod regains ascendency
iPod X.4
iPod X.5 and Zune Vista - Zune Vista the same as Zune XP but with translucent shell. iPod X.5 puts Zune Vista on the mat in one punch.

Lancetx
Nov 16, 2006, 01:48 PM
Zune 1.0 = Flop

No doubt. I really can't wait for Zune ME myself, and by the time Zune XP SP2 comes along....wow. ;)

thejadedmonkey
Nov 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
um.. I think you've confused the iPod and Zune with something else in that last post Chundles...

P.S. For $150, or even $200, the Zune looks promising. I would consider it, once they iron out the bugs.

Chundles
Nov 16, 2006, 01:50 PM
um.. I think you've confused the iPod and Zune with something else in that last post Chundles...

no, really??

pilotError
Nov 16, 2006, 02:02 PM
A guy over at the inforworld site referred to it as the "Microsoft Bob" of the MP3 world.

If that's not a knock out punch, I don't know what is!

Rojo
Nov 16, 2006, 02:11 PM
A guy over at the inforworld site referred to it as the "Microsoft Bob" of the MP3 world.

If that's not a knock out punch, I don't know what is!

Having ALWAYS been on a Mac, I just looked up "Microsoft Bob" on wikipedia, and.... wow. Just wow. What were they thinking?!? :rolleyes:

AmbitiousLemon
Nov 16, 2006, 02:18 PM
But I AM curious whether people will actually buy this thing, and why.
Do we have any idea of how well it's sold so far? Or does that kind of information take a while to reach the public? Is there anyone here who works at a store that's selling the Zune that can give us an idea of how well it's selling?

Apple usually gets word out of its successes after about a week, so probably a bit early to have any real numbers. If its a failure we won't hear details until the next quarterly report from MS - and only then probably in response to a question from an investor.

But as netdog pointed out so simply Zune 1.0 is expected to be a failure. Even statements by microsoft during this past few days have said as much. MS is taking the XBox/Windows approach to this threat. They faced a highly competitive market with a strong market leader. They got a simple product to market in year one and used it as a test bed to develop their "real" product in version 2. They highly subsidize the project to artificially reduce the price to competitive levels and hope that they will be able to over the course of many years starve off competition, at which point they kill r&d, drive up costs, and rake in the profits.

rogersmj
Nov 16, 2006, 04:42 PM
The Zune's going to bomb, not because of the device (which really isn't all bad), but because of their software and music service. Take a look at the roundup of crap you'll have to deal with (http://rogersmj.com/articles/zune) if you actually buy one.

2nyRiggz
Nov 16, 2006, 07:40 PM
no, really??

LOL HA HA.....I don't know what to say but laugh.:D

Bless

Sun Baked
Nov 16, 2006, 07:53 PM
Cannot tell yet, wait until Jan. 1st to make the judgement.

Sales may pick up for Christmas, but I cannot see as many parents knowing about it as the stuff that is already in their heads.

Either see them picking up a cheap ass unit or an iPod for the ungrateful little bastards.

Kolind
Nov 16, 2006, 07:55 PM
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the forums - but even CNN is giving the Zune a hard time:
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/business/2006/11/14/sorkin.minding.your.business.cnn&wm=native_mac

(I love the hostess pulling out her new shuffle and then asking why she would want something so big)

ezekielrage_99
Nov 16, 2006, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't buy a Zune because it apparently has Rootkit in the firmware and it doesn't work on a Mac or Linux system.

Plus the M$ is a big turn off factor.......

MacinDoc
Nov 17, 2006, 12:23 AM
Considering that it's already subsidized, that's unlikely.

Lowering the price of the Zune much more could be considered dumping, and considering that M$ is already in trouble for anti-competitive behavior, I doubt if will take such a substantial risk on being stung again...

bluebomberman
Nov 17, 2006, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't buy a Zune because it apparently has Rootkit in the firmware...

Really? Where'd you hear that? Link, please?

zim
Nov 17, 2006, 11:01 PM
Seeing how my Dad, who does not keep up with technology, knew about the iPod when it was first released and has never heard of the Zune shows how MS has already failed. Apple networked and advertised the iPod correctly so that when it was released people knew about it. The Zune is going no where fast because no one is talking about it.

Counterfit
Nov 17, 2006, 11:27 PM
Having ALWAYS been on a Mac, I just looked up "Microsoft Bob" on wikipedia, and.... wow. Just wow. What were they thinking?!? :rolleyes:

An Irish earthworm? A coffee drinking dragon from Guatemala? What were they drinking, I want some!

Virtualball
Nov 17, 2006, 11:30 PM
The BIG downfall of the Zune is the advertisement. They coppied everything else from the iPod, so why not the advertisement? They did and that is the main problem. The iPod's ads are all self-centered and arrogant, the point behind them is basically showing off that they don't need to advertise what it does but only what it is. The Zune took this concept and just showed a concert and said "Zune." The problem is that Apple built up a staple and since it is just that, they don't need to really say what it is, now, Microsoft has built up no market share or news with the Zune and they are already taking that approach.

Advertisment is key and obviously Microsoft is in over it's head.

dongmin
Nov 17, 2006, 11:47 PM
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the forums - but even CNN is giving the Zune a hard time:
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/business/2006/11/14/sorkin.minding.your.business.cnn&wm=native_mac

(I love the hostess pulling out her new shuffle and then asking why she would want something so big)Funny segment. I like the last bits:

Host 1: Why don't they get some decent design people to make things look better?

Journalist: [heavy sigh]

Host 1: It's clunky, it's clunky...

Journalist: [heavy sigh again] No comment...

Host 2: [laughs in the background]

mannix87
Nov 18, 2006, 04:03 AM

(I love the hostess pulling out her new shuffle and then asking why she would want something so big)

that's just hilarious.

nsbio
Nov 18, 2006, 05:35 AM
Cannot tell yet, wait until Jan. 1st to make the judgement.

Sales may pick up for Christmas

Yeah, Bill Gates giving a Zune Christmas gift to each of his employees :p

sushi
Nov 18, 2006, 05:48 AM
Except iPod 7 will be better but we'll start hitting an alternate system:

iPod 1.0 Excellent, nothing else like it

<snip>

iPod X.5 puts Zune Vista on the mat in one punch.
That was good! :)

ezekielrage_99
Nov 18, 2006, 09:15 AM
Really? Where'd you hear that? Link, please?

I heard it from a friend who is a marketing manager for M$ in Australia. What he said was that inorder for the DRM to work and "track" what the users are doing the Zune needs some sort of rootkit in the hardware.

Personally it doesn't surprise me because Sony had rootkit on their laptops for a good 2 years before Sony fessed up to it.

MatthewCobb
Nov 18, 2006, 09:22 AM
that's just hilarious.

Indeed. A hoot. How much for the Shuffle product placement?

Microsoft Bob was new to me, and he looks pretty funny too. Mind you, I bet there are MS Nerds who fire up Bob, swap plug-ins and all the rest of it. Looks like he has real kitsch appeal. Anyone tried running Bob on an Intel Mac?

Agathon
Nov 18, 2006, 09:28 AM
Looking at Amazon's sales today, I wonder what's happening.

1. Black 30GB iPod
3. Silver 2GB Nano
4. Black 80GB iPod
5. Sandisk 2GB
6. Pink Nano
8. Black Nano
16. iPod Shuffle
29. Black Zune

Perhaps it is tanking. I would have thought more people would be buying it in its first week. Having said that, I would have thought that more people were buying the new Shuffles, but it is only selling slightly more than the Zune.

On the other hand, you can buy a shuffle almost anywhere, and its pretty cheap, so the Amazon discounts matter less. I can walk 10 minutes from my apartment to buy a Shuffle if I want one (or any of the others the local digicam shop sells them).

ghall
Nov 18, 2006, 11:37 AM
Someone needs to start a smashmyzune.com. I'd definitaly donate. :D

EDIT: Already been done (http://www.smashmyzune.com).

dongmin
Nov 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
Zune 1.0 = Flop
Zune 3.1 will crush all comersMaybe by 2.0, M$ will actually design their own hardware instead of rebranding a toshiba Gigabeat. ;)

Apple has a 5-year lead on software, hardware design, marketing, and component deals, not to mention a loyal user base and general public obsession with all things ipod. I think it'll take more than a three iterations for the Zune to compete.

clevin
Nov 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
just bought one, and gave to my friend as a gift
zune doesn't support osx, it plays mp3, wma/wmv, has radio and wi-fi, larger screen, and it does feel good in hand

Virtualball
Nov 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
just bought one

Well, someone had too.

aricher
Nov 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
And they're still your friend?

My 9 year old nephew wants an iPod for Christmas. His mom asked if he would rather have a Zune. He said "nobody wants a Zune - those suck." Apparently even the grade schoolers are talking about it.

Project
Nov 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
I dont know about the Rootkit issue, but every track you "share" is tied to your ZuneTag, which when synced sends this information directly to Microsoft.

Dotn think I would want to be sharing stuff I have bootlegged a couple of weeks before an official album release, lol.

backsidetailsli
Nov 18, 2006, 03:42 PM
No one's even asked about it at RadioShack where I work. There's two of us that are big Mac guys anyways, and the others we've mostly convinced that the iPods are by far the best, so it's unlikely we'll convince anyone to go for it. Add that to the fact that we don't have them in stock, and you have a recipe for a total flop as far as our store in concerned.

Yes, I'm happy about it.

jW

lol doin us prod,
word

clevin
Nov 18, 2006, 04:09 PM
And they're still your friend?

My 9 year old nephew wants an iPod for Christmas. His mom asked if he would rather have a Zune. He said "nobody wants a Zune - those suck." Apparently even the grade schoolers are talking about it.
lol, get real, its a freakin music player, don't judge too much before you even try it.

clevin
Nov 18, 2006, 04:10 PM
Well, someone had too.
yeah, its hard, local microcenter only have 2 or 3 machine, really not many choice about color.

cheeselover3
Nov 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
We received only 4 Zunes at my work place. Only sold 1 so far, to a grade schooler, and it was returned unopened the next day!!

Chundles
Nov 18, 2006, 10:56 PM
Maybe by 2.0, M$ will actually design their own hardware instead of rebranding a toshiba Gigabeat. ;)

Apple has a 5-year lead on software, hardware design, marketing, and component deals, not to mention a loyal user base and general public obsession with all things ipod. I think it'll take more than a three iterations for the Zune to compete.

You do realise that whole post was a p*ss-take don't you?

Xeem
Nov 18, 2006, 11:33 PM

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at something on CNN. I was even tempted to put the link in my signature!

mduser63
Nov 19, 2006, 12:04 AM
According to this article (http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/6002/zune-sales.html), Zune sales haven't really been to good so far. I saw them at Best Buy and wasn't too impressed. I saw one "in the wild" yesterday. Somebody had one at school, although it was just sitting in a case on a table, so I'm not sure who owned it. Otherwise I would have asked to check it out.

My dad asked me out of the blue about them today (he has a shuffle and an iPod video), and I basically just told him that it's typical MS garbage, which he had kind of assumed. He doesn't really like Apple and the iPod, but he doesn't like MS either. Anyway, my dad is not exactly "into" gadgets, but he had heard of the Zune somewhere, so it's not like there's no coverage/advertisement.

zim
Nov 19, 2006, 12:07 AM
Did anyone see the new section on Saturday Night Live? They did a bit that went something like this...

Microsoft released the zune. zune, as in hey your zune isn't as cool as my iPod :D

MegaSignal
Nov 19, 2006, 12:14 AM
Did anyone see the new section on Saturday Night Live? They did a bit that went something like this...

Microsoft released the zune. zune, as in hey your zune isn't as cool as my iPod :D

Looking forward to it on YouTube.

sushi
Nov 19, 2006, 01:23 AM
My 9 year old nephew wants an iPod for Christmas. His mom asked if he would rather have a Zune. He said "nobody wants a Zune - those suck."
Kids...they always seem to have a way of saying the truth! :)

Ashims
Nov 19, 2006, 02:05 AM
I have to say... I'm almost so interested in how bad this sounds that I might pick one up just to experience it for myself. :D

spicyapple
Nov 19, 2006, 02:09 AM
The only thing people seem to love about the Zune is the interface. In many ways, it's better graphically than the iPod, but as I was thinking Apple should do the same, I realized fancy graphics are really a step backwards in usability.

For instance, when I'm jogging, I could care less for fancy graphics and such. I just need to quickly navigate my songs without a lot of the visual clutter getting in the way. The novelty of such really wears off pretty quickly.

needthephone
Nov 19, 2006, 02:39 AM
MS forget that you only have one chance to make a first impression.

Rojo
Nov 19, 2006, 03:03 AM
The only thing people seem to love about the Zune is the interface. In many ways, it's better graphically than the iPod, but as I was thinking Apple should do the same, I realized fancy graphics are really a step backwards in usability.

For instance, when I'm jogging, I could care less for fancy graphics and such. I just need to quickly navigate my songs without a lot of the visual clutter getting in the way. The novelty of such really wears off pretty quickly.

Yep, fancy graphics definitely get in the way -- but it's the kind of thing that automatically attracts people when they're looking at it in the store, they just don't consider the usability of it. If Apple wanted to, they could do the same -- and probaboy blow M$ away, graphically. But who really needs that? Digital music players are in people's pockets or hidden 99% of the time anyway. Or if they're playing video, they're taking up the screen with something else.

bousozoku
Nov 19, 2006, 03:25 AM
I tried a Zune at Target a few hours ago. It wasn't particularly easy to use but it wasn't particularly difficult. It wasn't as though the control system had been clearly designed for people. It seemed to be designed for the developer's ease of use.

The video that was playing was reasonably clear and displayed no glitches. The display is too small for much but having no way to adjust the marketing display and having the video in landscape mode while the controls operated in portrait mode was not thoughtful.

I have no idea whether there was a volume control but I couldn't find anything on the front panel and just pressing buttons didn't do a whole lot. If I want something a bit more crude than the iPod that plays video, I'd go for one of the Archos players.

shunpike
Nov 19, 2006, 05:16 AM
Just thought I'd post an update on Amazon Zune Sales:
Black Zune: 26th In Electronics
Brown Zune: 110th In Electronics
White Zune: 225th In Electronics
This has gone down from about 16th, 60th and 125th respectively late Yesterday. I think that it is fair to say the Zune hasn't kicked off that well.

cecildk9999
Nov 19, 2006, 06:15 AM
Just thought I'd post an update on Amazon Zune Sales:
Black Zune: 26th In Electronics
Brown Zune: 110th In Electronics
White Zune: 225th In Electronics
This has gone down from about 16th, 60th and 125th respectively late Yesterday. I think that it is fair to say the Zune hasn't kicked off that well.

I think the real question is where the Zune will go from here; I wasn't interested in (or heard much about) the iPod before it reached 3G, and probably would not have bought the original models. The problem for Zune is that they're competing (at least in theory) against the market leader, which has a huge advantage in design and portability. And although MS could be patient and slowly work out the kinks, there's a mountain of bad press building that's really hard to undo in the minds of consumers. MS should have been more aggressive in their strategy by releasing a smaller flash-based player first, while still keeping Plays for Sure compatibility: gobble up all the little markets, and then chip away at the leader.

shunpike
Nov 19, 2006, 08:05 AM
Even so the point i was making is that sales have FALLEN from what on all accounts was a 'good but not great' first 2-3 days - so they must now be pretty bad - they are competing against the Ipod which controls 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th on the top 10 Electronic Spots On Amazon. (Although the Zune Black is beating the 2nd Gen Shuffle) Even so it has fallen down a place, the Brown is higher up, as is the White. However only Black is in the top 100 - this says something about sales doesn't it?

wordmunger
Nov 19, 2006, 08:11 AM
Wow... so few people care about the zune, even smashmyzune.com is a flop.

skye12
Nov 19, 2006, 08:31 AM
Msft is a company in serious decline-absolutely devoid of anything
original or unique. It amazes me that people continue to use this
companies products at all. They are horrible both in quality and/or
ease of use.

Dell is just now entering this phase. I'll never forget back in the 90's
when Michael Dell was asked what Apple should do and he said,
"Liquidate the company and give the shareholders back their money."

Now Apple's market cap exceeds that of Dell. Maybe Dell and Gates should take that advice now. They are done.

MegaSignal
Nov 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
Now Apple's market cap exceeds that of Dell. Maybe Dell and Gates should take that advice now. They are done.

I'd like to use this in future discussions with my friends. Where can I find actual numbers on this?

clevin
Nov 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Msft is a company in serious decline-absolutely devoid of anything
original or unique. It amazes me that people continue to use this
companies products at all. They are horrible both in quality and/or
ease of use.

Dell is just now entering this phase. I'll never forget back in the 90's
when Michael Dell was asked what Apple should do and he said,
"Liquidate the company and give the shareholders back their money."

well, when 99% of the computer in the world is using "M$ windows", what's your proposal of ditching it?
I don't like M$, but their products isn't "horrible both in quality and/or
ease of use."

About Dell, and "they are done", I think Jobs must treat his opponent more carefully than you do, its difficult business, pride, but not arrogant.

dongmin
Nov 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Although the Zune Black is beating the 2nd Gen Shuffle...You do realize that Amazon doesn't actually carry the shuffle, yet. It's being sold by another merchant, BlueProton. Considering that, it's amazing that it's in 25th place overall.

Analysts are expecting 6-8 million in Shuffles sales alone. It's first on the Apple Store top sellers list.

shunpike
Nov 19, 2006, 04:16 PM
You do realize that Amazon doesn't actually carry the shuffle, yet. It's being sold by another merchant, BlueProton. Considering that, it's amazing that it's in 25th place overall.

Analysts are expecting 6-8 million in Shuffles sales alone. It's first on the Apple Store top sellers list.

Thanks for clarifying that - if this is true this means that all zunes are being beaten by a product Amazon doesn't stock? lol

skye12
Nov 19, 2006, 05:42 PM
As of the market close 11/17/06, apples mkt cap=$73.33 billion
while msft mkt cap=$56.84 billion. Source Yahoo finance. Maybe
Apple should buy em out lol.

mkt cap is the number of outstanding shs times the price.

The gap has grown as Dell stock drops to new lows with
the SEC investigations whereas Apples stock is close to all
time highs.

The quote I mentioned earlier was widely reported as Apple
passed dell earlier this year.

skye12
Nov 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
correction, the 56 bil of course is dells mkt cap, not microsoft.

Scarpad
Nov 20, 2006, 01:32 PM
I'll give you my opinion I had a zune for a week.

First I'll tell you I don't presently have an Ipod but I had a 5G, sold it for the Zen M. I would'nt mind getting a 5.5g now that they've improved the screen. The Zune was an OK player but it had faults. First no Customizable EQ, same Issue the Ipod's have had. The Zen's Customizable EQ goes along way in Sound Quality. The Zune's preset never had one that sounded best, but the overall sound was comparable to the Ipod. However mine made audible clicks and pops between tracks, it was not silent, I have seen some people remark thiers did as well so it might be inherent thru the device. The Interface was pretty, but did require alot of back presses to move around. And I agree with the posters above, how often will you be staring at Artwork. The Video feature is where the zune falls down. It only supports .wmv. The Software will convert (after a long process) .mp4 and H264, but it only natively plays .wmv. And it's .wmv in very strict criteria. 320x240 only with bitrate restrictions, wma audio track. Vary from those restrictions and the file has to convert. >WMV files take along time to encode, and there's only a few encoders that the machine played the vids from without encoding, namely WME9 , and Winavi. One thing the Ipod and Zen have going for it is a dearth of good encoders. The Thing I miss about not having an Ipod is Itunes Intergration, I simply liked Itunes better than anything I've used, I still use Itunes on my Mini, but the problem I had is I saved in Lossless format, but I want to save in a lossy format on the Itunes and there was simply no way to do this.

spicyapple
Nov 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'll give you my opinion I had a zune for a week.
Did you return it?

I can't ever see myself using a Zune in it's present incarnation. There is nothing it does better than iPods, IMO.

lord patton
Nov 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
One thing the Ipod and Zen have going for it is a dearth of good encoders.
:confused: I don't think dearth means what you think it means.

the problem I had is I saved in Lossless format, but I want to save in a lossy format on the Itunes and there was simply no way to do this.

Just convert to mp3 or AAC (set preferences and then ctrl-click away).

milo
Nov 20, 2006, 04:18 PM
P.S. For $150, or even $200, the Zune looks promising. I would consider it, once they iron out the bugs.

But it's not $150. Or even $200. So what's the point? Might as well say you'd buy a zune if it came with a free car or something.

I saw a display in a store, one unit had a dead battery (even though it seemed to be plugged into the cord) and the other one seemed to be a dummy model that didn't even work. Both were in giant plastic shells that made it impossible to even tell how big they are.

Mike31c
Nov 22, 2006, 02:48 PM
I am going to guess the first gen zune is going to crash and burn :p

When people decide to buy an mp3 player, most either ask "which iPod" or ask for something other then an ipod (don't know why though) and then get directed to sandisk players and the like. "Zune? What's that?"

I personally would never buy a zune because it lacks everything the ipod/itunes has. Sorry but I don't need a graphic interface to play music :rolleyes:

And if I can't use it as an external HD, then it's pretty much useless.

Wi-Fi sharing? Give me a break. I swear their marketing people just come up with crap to add to their junk software/hardware just to make the "what's included" list of "features".

BTW: Let's not criticize microshaft for not supporting macs. Remember --> The First Gen. Ipods never supported the pc world until hell DID freeze over. Of course, that brought the attention to the ignorant pc world that there WAS a real alternative to windoze$ and bill gate$.

I am still waiting to see pics of the blue screen of death on one of those zune toys though.

Abstract
Nov 23, 2006, 04:14 AM
zune doesn't support osx, it plays mp3, wma/wmv, has radio and wi-fi, larger screen, and it does feel good in hand

What evil, despicable things has this friend done to you to deserve such treatment?

Digitaljim
Nov 24, 2006, 06:13 PM
Zune review: http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/147048,CST-FIN-Andy23.article

"a product that's so absurd and so obviously immune to success that it evokes something akin to a sense of pity"

clevin
Nov 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
Zune review: http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/147048,CST-FIN-Andy23.article

"a product that's so absurd and so obviously immune to success that it evokes something akin to a sense of pity"

the author sounds pretty biased, and according to him, seems he is recommending Gigabeat.
Im not sure if he is being objective.
But, I do agree the M$'s Zune seems trying to limit user in many ways, altho not as "extreme" as the author described.
wait and see.

ps, according to this FAQ, many issue in that review are false:
http://www.zunescene.com/forums/index.php?topic=709.0

Digitaljim
Nov 24, 2006, 07:45 PM
the author sounds pretty biased, and according to him, seems he is recommending Gigabeat.
Im not sure if he is being objective.
But, I do agree the M$'s Zune seems trying to limit user in many ways, altho not as "extreme" as the author described.
wait and see.

For sure; the author seems almost irrationally anti-microsoft. But he makes some good points, and it's interesting to see the non-iPod crowd - who are arguably going to be hit hardest by the Zune's (possible) success - having their own little biased rants against it.

I'm actually quite interested in Zune. The wi-fi could be quite a good feature when it's fully functional (ie cracked) and the GUI does look nicer than the iPod's. I'm probably quite a good represenative of the Microsoft's potential market too: young, male, tech-savvy, bit of cash.

HOWEVER, there's a few major reasons they'd never convert this vague interest into a bonafide sale:

1. I already own an iPod - as do 80% of my friends quite happily. Why trade?

2. Save for the GUI, it's really quite ugly.

3. Although I own a Windows laptop for work, I use my Mac for 'fun' - again, as do many of my peers.

4. I'm in the UK, so it's not actually available to me yet.

clevin
Nov 24, 2006, 08:12 PM
1. I already own an iPod - as do 80% of my friends quite happily. Why trade?

2. Save for the GUI, it's really quite ugly.

3. Although I own a Windows laptop for work, I use my Mac for 'fun' - again, as do many of my peers.

4. I'm in the UK, so it's not actually available to me yet.
thats it, LOL
I went to bestbuy today, and to be honest, Zune looks much better than other stuff like Sandisk or Zen.

Rojo
Jun 25, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah, yeah...I'm reviving an old thread. :D

But mainly because I'm curious to see how the Zune is doing, after all this time? No one ever talks about it anymore. And besides seeing them displayed in stores, I haven't actually seen them out "in the wild."

Are people still buying it....somewhere? Is there "squirting" going on at all? Who here has one, and likes it?

netdog
Jun 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
I think your post answers the question...

FLOP

hexonxonx
Jun 25, 2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, yeah...I'm reviving an old thread. :D

But mainly because I'm curious to see how the Zune is doing, after all this time? No one ever talks about it anymore. And besides seeing them displayed in stores, I haven't actually seen them out "in the wild."

Are people still buying it....somewhere? Is there "squirting" going on at all? Who here has one, and likes it?

I still have never seen anyone with one. I work with at least five people who have iPods, two have iPhones.

MegaSignal
Jun 25, 2008, 05:10 PM
Now that you mentioned it: even whilst working downtown in a major metropolitan area, I haven't come across anyone using the brickish Zune; much less a brown specimen...