PDA

View Full Version : Ordered first Apple today

CmdrLaForge
Apr 25, 2003, 09:31 AM
Hi folks,

after 20 years using and working with PCs I ordered my first Apple today.

I used to build the PCs by myself, choosing carefully the best components available.

I ordered an iBook 900 with 12,1" screen.

Really hope that this was the right decision.

Keep you informed about my first hand-on experiences.

Cheers

idkew
Apr 25, 2003, 09:55 AM
congrats

we are here for your ?'s.

patrick0brien
Apr 25, 2003, 01:26 PM
-Jeordi

Welcome! We're here to help!

And to wipe up your drool when you start "getting it".

CmdrLaForge
Apr 26, 2003, 03:28 AM
Hi folks

thanks for your help offering . I think thats part of the difference between PC and Mac users. Mac users feel much more like a community.

By the way. I really think that I will need your help - there will be issues. But I hope that I can solve them with your help.

.....still waiting.....

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

applemacdude
Apr 26, 2003, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the mac community and congrats on your ibook:D ;) :p :o :( :)

caveman_uk
Apr 26, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Hi folks,

I used to build the PCs by myself, choosing carefully the best components available.

Cheers
I started with an ibook just before christmas. Now I've got a 1GHz DP Powermac as well and don't have a PC at all. I used to build my own too...;)

scem0
Apr 26, 2003, 06:16 PM
Your gunna like it. Don't expect all that much speed out of
it though. And remember that Mac OS X requires lots of RAM. :)

rainman::|:|
Apr 26, 2003, 06:19 PM
definitely don't hesitate to ask questions, i've been using macs for 8 years and still occasionally have a question or two... it's nothing too difficult but can get rather in-depth if you want to... otherwise it all stays simple and preconfigured :)

my advise would be to learn and understand the UNIX heirarchy. it's not difficult again, but can be confusing at first (like, where are the files on the desktop actually stored? where's my Home folder? why are there two different Font folders?)...

other than that, just live and learn :)

pnw

CmdrLaForge
Apr 30, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by scem0

Hello again,

I'm still waiting for my iBook to arrive. But I already have a question concerning the RAM.

I ordered the iBook with 256MB. The guy at the apple store meant, that this is absolutly OK.
Is this correct ? Or should I install more ? And can I do this by myself ?

Regards
CmdrLaForge

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2003, 10:31 AM
Adding another 256 wouldn't be a bad thing, OSX is a memory hog, and if you've built machines in the past, I don't think adding the memory yourself will be all the difficult.

D

cubist
Apr 30, 2003, 10:36 AM
It should be plenty fast with 256MB. A lot better than with 128MB. You can add another so-dimm yourself later on.

The 900MHz just came out, so that was a wise choice too. It should sizzle with Mac OS X. Where you might want more RAM is if you start running several programs at once.

celaurie
Apr 30, 2003, 10:51 AM
Hi folks,

Cheers

It's already been said, but I'll say it again, if you need help just pop up a post! We're here to help.

And congratulations!

I love Jadzia (http://celaurie.worldonline.co.uk/macs.html)... My iBook! :p

Chris

CmdrLaForge
May 6, 2003, 12:20 PM
Hi folks,

the iBook arrived finally today !!! :D :D :D

It looks absolutly great !:D

I absolutly cannot agree to some posts saying that they don't like the look.

I haven't done a lot yet. Just installed the OS (what took quite a while)

OK, thats it for now. Keep you informed about my experience and will post some more.

Kind regards
CmdrLaForge

mmoin
May 6, 2003, 12:47 PM
I bought a 12.1" 800mhz ibook back in january. It's not as fast as some windows PC's I've used, but the OS can't be beat, and I just seem to get way more done on this machine than I ever did with my "faster" PC's.

long live apple!

Flowbee
May 6, 2003, 01:04 PM
As a fairly recent switcher, I have to recommend the book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. It really helped me reformat my brain from windows to Mac.

patrick0brien
May 6, 2003, 01:28 PM

I haven't done a lot yet. Just installed the OS (what took quite a while)

-CmdrLaForge

Question: Why did you have to install the OS?

CmdrLaForge
May 6, 2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-CmdrLaForge

Question: Why did you have to install the OS?

Hi,

I installed the OS because thats what it asked me to do.

In total I got 4 CDs delivered with the iBook. Two saying Restore CD 1 and 2 and another two CD saying Mac OS 10.2.4. When I started the iBook it asked me to insert Restore Disk 1 (well - it showed a pictogram I could identify on that restore disk) This was the only disk I needed.

By the way - I'm typing these lines on my new iBook :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Its absolutly great - I really love it. It worked really very very well. After the installation it asked me to configure the internet (and wanted me to sign up for .MAC what I haven't done so far. I think that it is a little bit expensive.)

And I downloaded Safari with which I'm surfing at the moment. And I also downloaded iTunes 4.0

It took a moment to enable the Tabs - but I got that.

So everything works really great and I like my first day Mac experience very much.

I will have some questions. Maybe I order that Mac OS handbook.

I will post more in a few days.

Regards
CmdrLaForge

MacFan25
May 11, 2003, 12:06 PM
congrats on your purchase! if you have any more questions, we'll be glad to answer them! :)

MacBandit
May 11, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by scem0

I don't know it should be fairly zippy. People with iBook 800's are actually able to play the UT2003 demo which is saying something because the 12" Powerbook owners are not able to.

evil
May 11, 2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I don't know it should be fairly zippy. People with iBook 800's are actually able to play the UT2003 demo which is saying something because the 12" Powerbook owners are not able to.

id like to disagree with you about the the 12 powerbook.
i have one and have downloaded and played the ut2003 demo just fine.
the only problem i have is that i dont have a mouse, so playing with the little touchpad is unbearable.
it did play just fine though, i even upped it to maximum resolution.
im running the regular 256 ram too.

MacBandit
May 11, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by evil
id like to disagree with you about the the 12 powerbook.
i have one and have downloaded and played the ut2003 demo just fine.
the only problem i have is that i dont have a mouse, so playing with the little touchpad is unbearable.
it did play just fine though, i even upped it to maximum resolution.
im running the regular 256 ram too.

I was just going off of the comments made by people in the UT2003 thread. Glad to hear it's playable for you.

CmdrLaForge
May 30, 2003, 03:05 PM
Hello,

4 weeks ago - i switched to Apple and ordered my iBook 900Mhz.

My experience so far is absoluty great ! I really love my iBook. It works so much better then Windows PCs. Never crashed. Just does what I wants.

I am still using PC daily at work. At home now only the iBook. So I am daily remembered about what can go daily go wrong with Windows e.g. first I get angry when I start it. Takes forever. Always go for a coffee. And from log on to start using it I can drink the coffee.

Thats different with the iBook and a lot more.

Somethings have been a little confusing for me at the beginning. e.g. I inserted an picture disk and it copied everything to my picture folder. Never told the iBook to do so. Or iTunes. There is just a button saying IMPORT. Not asking where which format and so on. Thats really a different experience. Just pressing IMPORT. Thats it. But for me as a long time computer freak I always want to see behind the scenes. Of course I found out where the files are, what format and so on. But if you are not interested. Thats fine and it works. So - I'm getting used to this concept and start just using this little computer.

I think i will still have a lot of questions - but I hope I always find some friendly guys to help me.

Again - I'm really happy that i have switched.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

evil
May 30, 2003, 03:14 PM
congrats laforge. i switched a few months ago my situation has been quite similar. im glad youre happy with your purchase.

patrick0brien
May 30, 2003, 03:20 PM
-CmdrLaForge

Nice to see you "getting it".

Drooling yet? :D

You've found a great place to seek help if you need it, though you'd get best responses if you posted your questions to the Help/Tips discussion.

maradong
May 30, 2003, 03:34 PM
Hello,

4 weeks ago - i switched to Apple and ordered my iBook 900Mhz.

My experience so far is absoluty great ! I really love my iBook. It works so much better then Windows PCs. Never crashed. Just does what I wants.

I am still using PC daily at work. At home now only the iBook. So I am daily remembered about what can go daily go wrong with Windows e.g. first I get angry when I start it. Takes forever. Always go for a coffee. And from log on to start using it I can drink the coffee.

Thats different with the iBook and a lot more.

Somethings have been a little confusing for me at the beginning. e.g. I inserted an picture disk and it copied everything to my picture folder. Never told the iBook to do so. Or iTunes. There is just a button saying IMPORT. Not asking where which format and so on. Thats really a different experience. Just pressing IMPORT. Thats it. But for me as a long time computer freak I always want to see behind the scenes. Of course I found out where the files are, what format and so on. But if you are not interested. Thats fine and it works. So - I'm getting used to this concept and start just using this little computer.

I think i will still have a lot of questions - but I hope I always find some friendly guys to help me.

Again - I'm really happy that i have switched.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

Congrats:rolleyes:

nagromme
Jun 19, 2003, 01:50 AM
Congratulations!

Max the RAM when you get around to it--it's cheap and easy to install, and you'll get fewer pauses/waits. I think the way to do that is to take out one of two 128 chips that came with it (a spare may be handy one day) and put in a 512 instead. Total: 640 MB.

Good places to buy mac RAM:

eshop.macsales.com
crucial.com
transintl.com

Enjoy! Stop back here for help/answers.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 19, 2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
Congratulations!

Max the RAM when you get around to it--it's cheap and easy to install, and you'll get fewer pauses/waits. I think the way to do that is to take out one of two 128 chips that came with it (a spare may be handy one day) and put in a 512 instead. Total: 640 MB.

Good places to buy mac RAM:

eshop.macsales.com
crucial.com
transintl.com

Enjoy! Stop back here for help/answers.

Hi,

thanks for your reply and the tipps with the RAM. But at the moment I'm really happy with the speed. I never have the feeling that it is to slow in any way except when I'm using imovie and edit my movies. But the good news here is, that you don't have to wait until one effect is processed but you can apply more effects and it calculates in the back.

The only app I really don't like and where I think that apple should put some work on is AppleWorks.

It really sucks ! I have been working with Office now for years and it is really much better than AppleWorks.

I know - I can go and buy another M$ product - thats something I don't want to do and therefore I installed X11 and OpenOffice. Thats really a nice program. So far it does not fit that nice into the GUI but i hope it will in the near future.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

MacBandit
Jun 19, 2003, 11:58 AM
Hi,

thanks for your reply and the tipps with the RAM. But at the moment I'm really happy with the speed. I never have the feeling that it is to slow in any way except when I'm using imovie and edit my movies. But the good news here is, that you don't have to wait until one effect is processed but you can apply more effects and it calculates in the back.

The only app I really don't like and where I think that apple should put some work on is AppleWorks.

It really sucks ! I have been working with Office now for years and it is really much better than AppleWorks.

I know - I can go and buy another M$ product - thats something I don't want to do and therefore I installed X11 and OpenOffice. Thats really a nice program. So far it does not fit that nice into the GUI but i hope it will in the near future.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

What's your beef with AppleWorks? I find it works nearly the same as Word if you just take the time to customize all the options and buttons.

e-coli
Jun 19, 2003, 12:56 PM
What's your beef with AppleWorks? I find it works nearly the same as Word if you just take the time to customize all the options and buttons.

AppleWorks does suck. It's clunky, poor interface, and just generally an obtrusive app (IMHO).

It doesn't have nearly the thought and finesse behind it that the other Apple apps have.

But MS Office sux worse. ;)

CmdrLaForge
Jun 19, 2003, 02:06 PM

Well well - I see that there are AppleWorks Fans out there.

Ok, my problems are:
1) a lot of features MSOffice has AppleWorks simply does not have AND
2) lot of features are so hard to find.

I'm using heavily Excel with huge spreadsheets, a lot of filtering hiding colums and so on. Believe me - Excel is much better.

3) I don't like the GUI - its old fashioned in comparison to other new apps like iMovie, iTunes, Safari etc

4) the compatibility with Office is so poor. I'm using powerpoint as well a lot - not compatible
And with all the other office apps it is the same. Really worse.

Because I'm have to use MSOffice at work and for printouts at home I need a good compatibility.

AND sometimes it crashes ! I haven't used it a lot by even then my worked got lost !

Well - Office is MS$ most important revenue maker - they have spent light years in the development and you can see the result. Of course it is much more expensive and i don't like to buy or use it - but thats the only thing that is better in the Windows world.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

MacBandit
Jun 19, 2003, 05:49 PM
I'm not really an AppleWorks fan but I think it works fine. I do think it needs a major overhaul and could easily be made better and more intuitive. I had to do a lot of work with the custome buttons and the like to get it to a point were I could do exactly what I wanted every time but it works now and I'm just waiting for an updated version or an AppleOffice suite. I have never had AppleWorks crash on me though.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 20, 2003, 04:17 AM
I'm not really an AppleWorks fan but I think it works fine. I do think it needs a major overhaul and could easily be made better and more intuitive. I had to do a lot of work with the custome buttons and the like to get it to a point were I could do exactly what I wanted every time but it works now and I'm just waiting for an updated version or an AppleOffice suite. I have never had AppleWorks crash on me though.

Hi,

I am waiting for a next rev of iWorks as well. I hope that it will be much better. But as I read on looprumors iWorks might be delayed for quite some time because Apple is afraid Microsoft stops developing Office for the Mac and Office is very important for their switcher campaign.

Well I have switched and even don't want Office.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge