PDA

View Full Version : How do I de-authorize my old computer?

KevKaos
Nov 17, 2006, 01:31 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I had iTunes set up on my old PC (Windoze), but it pretty much died so I had to replace it. I got iTunes loaded and got my library moved over and even got the new PC authorized to use my iTunes store account. Of course I never de-authorized my old PC, so now my account tells me that I have used 2 of my 5 allowable authorizations. I guess I could hook up my old PC and try to get booted up to get to iTunes and de-authorize it, but that just sounds like a pain. Anyone know of an easier way to de-authorize a computer? What would I do if the old computer was totally unusable? Thanks in advance, if you have any ideas.

swiftaw
Nov 17, 2006, 01:38 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I had iTunes set up on my old PC (Windoze), but it pretty much died so I had to replace it. I got iTunes loaded and got my library moved over and even got the new PC authorized to use my iTunes store account. Of course I never de-authorized my old PC, so now my account tells me that I have used 2 of my 5 allowable authorizations. I guess I could hook up my old PC and try to get booted up to get to iTunes and de-authorize it, but that just sounds like a pain. Anyone know of an easier way to de-authorize a computer? What would I do if the old computer was totally unusable? Thanks in advance, if you have any ideas.

The only way to de-authorize a computer is from that computer.

However, there is one exception. When you authorize 5 computers, you then get the option of de-authorizing all computers, which can be done from any computer.

KevKaos
Nov 17, 2006, 01:44 PM
The only way to de-authorize a computer is from that computer.

However, there is one exception. When you authorize 5 computers, you then get the option of de-authorizing all computers, which can be done from any computer.

OK. Well, I guess I have something to do this weekend then. Thanks. I will keep this in mind for when I get my iMac. I will know that I need to de-authorize the PC before switching over.

splacid
Nov 17, 2006, 04:09 PM
Alternatively, you can contact iTunes Store customer service and ask them to deauthorize your old computer for you.

WildCowboy
Nov 17, 2006, 04:11 PM
Alternatively, you can contact iTunes Store customer service and ask them to deauthorize your old computer for you.

I don't believe they can deauthorize a specific computer...they can only deauthorize all of your computers, so you'd have to reauthorize any computers you still wanted to use iTunes-protected material on.

And I believe they will only do this for you once per year.