PDA

View Full Version : ibook clamshell backlight plugin on motherboard broke

rickame
Nov 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
While taking apart ibook to replace harddrive on grapghite 466 , I ran into trouble. In taking out the backlight cable, the whole plastic receptor (little white plasatic at J4) on the motherboard came off as well. This is a little part (1/4 x 1/8inch). I can't tell if it was soldered on or just slips on the motheboard since tiny bits of plastic broke off. Can someone tell me if/how this can be repaired. Can I get one from another motherboard and replace, or do I need a new motherboard (tell me no, please). Maybe it can be 'glued' back on, anyone tell me what to do would be appreciated. Next time I will be sure to hold down when pulling plug out...thanks.

2nyRiggz
Nov 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
No glue of any kind please:) ....you might be able to solder it back on if you are good with the iron.

Bless

rickame
Nov 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
No glue of any kind please:) ....you might be able to solder it back on if you are good with the iron.
Bless

So this part is soldered on you are sure?..don't see how I could solder this piece back on since the attached wires or prongs to solder on the sides of the plastic are not visible. Might have to get new piece and unsolder from motherboard. If you are familiar with this piece, can you tell me if each of the multi prongs is also soldered or just the two ends that secure to the plastic piece...or I may have try glue...lol...thanks for any advice, rick

shellshocked
Jan 29, 2008, 01:35 AM
I have the exact same problem! The whole backlight connector broke off the logicboard when I was opening up my beautiful Tangerine clamshell ibook...I was also thinking that you could perhaps glue it on or something...but when I tried to keep it in place while the ibook was on I could only get sparks, no light on screen ( it's there, dark but visible if you use strong flashlight) ...Just curious if you managed to solder it in place?

I keep it running on the network now and use remote desktop to control it but one day maybe I'll replace the logicboard if I come across one...Of course I might have burned out the backlight by my experimenting...:-)