Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPP

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I own an iBook G4 which, for the first in about 20 months, started playing up a little yesterday. I have no idea what triggered it though the machine was getting very hot and the fans came on twice while I was only using Safari and iTunes, something I normally only hear when using Handbrake and such.
And just then when I woke up this morning my iBook refused to turn on. I left it on overnight but it seemed as though it had turned itself off. When I tried the power button I got no start-up chime, no nothing. I unplugged everything (I'm using Screen Spanning Doctor if anyone thinks thats the cause of the problem, it's been fine for the past 3 months or so though and I only use it for spanning, not clamshell) and tried to turn it on again. This time it worked, and when my computer had finished booting I got a message much like you see when an application quits unexpectedly though it was in reference to Mac OS X.
Even now as it type this around 15 minutes later it's quite hot and Safari is the ONLY app I have open.

Anyone experienced a random shutdown of OS X before ? On an iBook ?!
What could I do to solve my troubles ...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is it third party RAM? Do you have plenty of free space on your hard drive (8GB plus)? What sort of third party apps and hardware do you have? What changes did you make to the system right before it started doing this? FWIW, my G4 iBook has behaved flawlessly from day one, so there's no reason yours shouldn't either. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.