PDA

View Full Version : Custom synching problems

Nermal
Nov 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
I have plenty of TV shows on my iPod and in iTunes, but I only ever watch them on my iPod. To free up space, I would like to remove them from iTunes, but keep them on my iPod. I unticked "Synch TV Shows" but for some reason it took that to mean "Pretend I have no TV shows, then re-synch" (ie. it deleted them from my iPod) :eek:

I don't want to use manual management as I believe that this will stop my music from auto-synching. How can I tell iTunes to synch my music, but leave the TV shows alone?

mad jew
Nov 18, 2006, 12:21 AM
I've been trying to get this done all day but haven't got anywhere, sorry. :o

As far as I can gather, you can't split an iPod into having it partly manually managed and partly synced. However, if it's an option, you can get it to automatically sync different aspects from different machines. In other words, if you load an iPod onto one machine and sync your music, you can load it onto another machine and sync your videos. As such, you could keep your videos on a different machine and automatically sync it there, if that's an option. :)

Sorry mate, that's about all I can come up with. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a third party app that might help you out more.

Nermal
Nov 18, 2006, 12:23 AM
Unfortunately I'm only going to have one system - I'm trying to get prepared for my impending MBP, with its 120 gig drive :( (I'm going to sell my iMac, there's no way I can afford two systems).

Thanks for trying though, hopefully there's a solution somewhere.

mad jew
Nov 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
Is an external drive an option?

Nermal
Nov 18, 2006, 12:35 AM
I do have an external drive, but I don't want to move too much stuff onto it for fear that I'll get "tethered" to it. My MBP's not due for another week, and it'll take me time to fill up the drive, so it's not a pressing concern yet.