PDA

View Full Version : Convert ID3v1.x to ID3v2.4

a0me
Nov 18, 2006, 01:35 AM
As the title says, I'm looking for a way to convert the ID3 tag in a few old mp3 files I ripped a few years ago -before ID3v2 existed- to ID3v2.4.

It looks like iTunes allows this kind of conversion, but using iTunes would mean I'd have to import the files with iTunes, which I'm not sure I can trust (I'm not sure what it does to mp3 files besides changing their names and encoding them to lower bitrates (?). I don't want my files to be DRMed and not be able to play them on another computer/OS, etc.)

iMeowbot
Nov 18, 2006, 01:39 AM
First make copies of the files so that you can rest easy about what iTunes may do. For the record, it won't reduce bit rates unless you go through a separate conversion step, and it isn't able to add DRM.

Simply drag your files (the copies you made) into the iTunes library window, change the options, and see how it goes.

a0me
Nov 18, 2006, 01:51 AM
First make copies of the files so that you can rest easy about what iTunes may do. For the record, it won't reduce bit rates unless you go through a separate conversion step, and it isn't able to add DRM.

Simply drag your files (the copies you made) into the iTunes library window, change the options, and see how it goes.

Wow that was fast. Thanks a lot for the advice; I've recently switched to Mac and I still can't shake this paranoia I got from using Windows for so long.