PDA

View Full Version : .dmg files

alvinator
Nov 18, 2006, 05:56 AM
After installing programs, I'm always left with a .dmg icon on the desktop. What do I do with them? Can they be sent to the trashbin?

sushi
Nov 18, 2006, 05:57 AM
After installing programs, I'm always left with a .dmg icon on the desktop. What do I do with them? Can they be sent to the trashbin?
Yes, or you can just unmount them via the Finder (eject icon to the right of the mounted image).

dextertangocci
Nov 18, 2006, 06:37 AM
Yes, or you can just unmount them via the Finder (eject icon to the right of the mounted image).

But that would just leave a useless DMG file on your desktop, so unless you are going to install it on more macs, just trash it:)

Chundles
Nov 18, 2006, 06:47 AM
But that would just leave a useless DMG file on your desktop, so unless you are going to install it on more macs, just trash it:)

I keep the xxxxx.dmg file in a folder on my HDD and when it starts to get a bit unruly I burn it to CD then trash the folder. Whilst the folder is on my HDD I keep the versions of the software up to date (delete messenger601.dmg when I download messenger602.dmg etc.) that way if I ever delete a program or do a fresh install I don't have to download them all again.

When you're on a dial-up connection downloading any software is a pain in the arse so it helps to keep them somewhere easily accessible.

sushi
Nov 18, 2006, 06:49 AM
You are correct. Thanks for the catch.

FWIW, when I saw the OP's question, I was thinking in terms of a mounted image. In my case I use dmgs for my files. I have a total of 7 different dmgs that I mount at various times.