Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geschwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
My computer hard drive is full but I still have a lot of space on my iPod. I would like to move most of my iTunes library to a second hard drive but keep recent additions on my computer. Is there a way of using automatic update so that I can automatically add just the new songs on my computer via automatic update without deleting the ones already there? Or do I have to do it manually? Any other solutions for when you have more space on the iPod than on the hard drive?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I have always set my iPods to "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists" so that no matter what I do to my computer the songs on my iPod aren't touched.

My very first iPod (15GB) was larger than my HDD so by using the iPod in manual mode I was able to load music onto the computer, then into the iPod, then delete the music from the computer.

You can set iTunes to not manage your music files so that it will just reference the files and you can put them wherever you want, it'll be more time consuming but you'll get the results you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.