PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent a scam

Nasprin
Apr 25, 2003, 11:05 PM
I am looking to sell a Powemac G4. Anyway I have a potential buyer on the hook, who has actually offered me more money then I am asking to ship the computer overnight. I have been around the block a few times, and know that people are always trying to setup scams. The person says that he doesn't want to use ebay, and wants to only pay by cashiers chech, on COD. I know cashiers checks are suposed to be legit, but we all know that they can be forged. So what are some of the ways that I can protect myself, make sure that this person is legit.

Sun Baked
Apr 25, 2003, 11:11 PM
Postal Money Order... and have him overnight it to you.

A fake check, cashiers check, or money order are lesser crimes than messing with the Post Office.

---

Though others may have some ideas.

Nasprin
Apr 25, 2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info.

Nasprin
Apr 25, 2003, 11:21 PM
I am just getting a bad vibe about this individual. First he willing to pay me more then what I am asking. And I know that not too long ago on this very forum a user got ripped off from a individual who lived in Chicago, where this person lives. I think I am going to have to insist on this person paying me through ebay.

cubist
Apr 25, 2003, 11:31 PM
That's no guarantee. You must receive the payment and verify that it is good before you ship anything. No exceptions. No COD. Even Paypal is questionable, because I've heard of people cancelling their Paypal payments. He can overnight you the money order(s), as Sun Baked suggests, and you can verify they are good before you ship the computer.

macktheknife
Apr 25, 2003, 11:34 PM
Remember that money orders are no guarantee. I would avoid CODs. This customer of yours sounds very fishy--very few people in this world are willing to pay more than the seller is asking for. Check out this story:

http://www.remodern.com/caught.html

rainman::|:|
Apr 26, 2003, 12:13 AM
tell him escrow or no deal. and find a good escrow company, some of those are scams, too... but it's the only way to truely protect yourself...

if you're not familiar, escrow is a trusted third party that holds the funds until the buyer has inspected and approved the merchandise. buyer OKs it, funds are released to seller. there's no chance for fraud because the people holding the money are listening to both sides objectively.

pnw

Nasprin
Apr 26, 2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the sugestions.

iJon
Apr 26, 2003, 01:05 AM
tell him to pay with credit card, if you dont send, he doesnt lose any money, and if it goes through, you get your money. credit card is the only way i do things, its safe for everyone and nobody complains.

iJon

Nasprin
Apr 26, 2003, 01:28 AM
I was reading this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15077&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

and I have to say that this board is really one of greatest forums I have been to.

I recently purchased:

Apple Powermac G4 1 GHZ (Single Processor)
256 MB of memory
L3 cache
Superdrive
Nvidia 64 Video Card

I was looking to sell it because I didn't think I would be able to afford it. Now, I think I will keep it, because after reading that thread about how Eric Smith got ripped off, the risk is just too great.

I was ultimately hoping to be able to get a system a little more powerful, but this is as much as I could afford. I hope it will be enough.

Could you all provide me with some info on how my system ranks as is, and what I could do to possibly make it better.

Kwyjibo
Apr 26, 2003, 01:59 AM
not everyone in chicago and the chicago area is bad....