PDA

View Full Version : Ohmygod, Zelda looks so cool...

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
... and I'm not talking about Twilight Princess.

I just stumbled across this teaser trailer for Phantom Hourglass on the DS: http://www.nintendo.com/pop_video.vm?url=http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/fDp6jkG4NYgUu74upE_kpwhmLp5Xq3-f.mov&width=600&height=420

Thank God its not coming out right now though. I haven't got a DS yet and that would simply add loads of s to my long list of things I want to buy right now!!

psycoswimmer
Nov 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
I heard about Phantom Hourglass in Game Informer a while back. It was just a little segment with one screen shot. I have a DS Lite so I'm in luck. :) I always thought that Wind Waker left off at a cliffhanger.. like why didn't Link just stay back with his poor old grandma. :confused: :p

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
like why didn't Link just stay back with his poor old grandma. :confused: :p

Haha! I know what you mean!

This game really looks like its a true successor to the Link to the Past game from the SNES what with similar looking graphics and overhead gameplay (all improved on though). I loved that game, its easily my favourite Zelda title (although admittedly I've only ever played that one and Wind Waker :o)

psycoswimmer
Nov 18, 2006, 01:11 PM
Haha! I know what you mean!

This game really looks like its a true successor to the Link to the Past game from the SNES what with similar looking graphics and overhead gameplay (all improved on though). I loved that game, its easily my favourite Zelda title (although admittedly I've only ever played that one and Wind Waker :o)

Ocarina of Time is my favorite.. I just started it again because I got a bit bored waiting for TP.

I think the controls for PH will be great. It's supposed to be controlled completely with the stylus, and it looks really intuitive. I'll love 'drawing' the route for the boat, and not worrying about steering it.

Malus
Nov 18, 2006, 01:20 PM
The thing I hated most about WW was the ridiculous length of sea that you had to cover to get from one place to another. I hope they cut that in this DS title.

rockthecasbah
Nov 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
Wow you're right, that's amazing :eek: . Kinda makes me want a DS, but i wouldn't play it enough, maybe when prices go down enough. The puzzles with that just look like they'll be phenomenal, as will the graphics.

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 01:35 PM
The thing I hated most about WW was the ridiculous length of sea that you had to cover to get from one place to another. I hope they cut that in this DS title.

By the looks of things you don't have to sail as much and the sailing that is done is done automatically after drawing it with the stylus.

I've ordered an adapter to connect a gamecube controller up to the PC so that I can play through OoT with one of the high resolution texture packs available online. I'd rather play it through with the high res packs than on my 'cube. :) I've heard OoT was the best but always thought the 3D graphics of the N64 Zelda games paled in comparison to the quality of the graphics of the SNES game and that really put me off. So many 3D N64 versions of SNES games were a big step down in how good they looked imo.

Edit: Wow you're right, that's amazing :eek: . Kinda makes me want a DS, but i wouldn't play it enough, maybe when prices go down enough. The puzzles with that just look like they'll be phenomenal, as will the graphics.

Yeah, hopefully by the time this comes out (probably in Summer/Autumn next year), the cost of the DS Lite will have dropped a bit.

viccles
Nov 18, 2006, 01:36 PM
Sweeeeet :D When is it being released? If its around March I'll ask for my birthday

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
Sweeeeet :D When is it being released? If its around March I'll ask for my birthday

They haven't announced a release date yet but I imagine it'd be in the latter half of next year. :(

psycoswimmer
Nov 18, 2006, 01:41 PM
They haven't announced a release date yet but I imagine it'd be in the latter half of next year. :(

I hope that it doesn't turn into another Twilight Princess. :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder.. What will be the successor to the DS Lite? :p

sikkinixx
Nov 18, 2006, 01:56 PM

QS Micro Lite SP

4 screens, small, bright, flips open. Cheers go up around the world.

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 02:20 PM

Its the Nintendo Eyeball. Two high tech contact lenses are put into your eyes and you control the game by poking your body in various places. Trauma Centre: Real Life is supposed to come with a scalpel and rubber gloves.

psycoswimmer
Nov 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
Its the Nintendo Eyeball. Two high tech contact lenses are put into your eyes and you control the game by poking your body in various places. Trauma Centre: Real Life is supposed to come with a scalpel and rubber gloves.

Awesome! Can't wait. ;)

I think that the next step for Nintendo really is virtual reality. I mean, where else do they have to go? :D

Dagless
Nov 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
I hope that it doesn't turn into another Twilight Princess. :rolleyes:

There's little further they could push it. Built in web browser? game slot that took SD cards? The design and pretty much everything concerned with the DS Lite is perfect (hence it selling ~30k more units than usual in the PS3's launch week).

BUT! I don't know about this game yet. I'm not a fan of these 3D remakes, New Mario DS and now this. I'm probably the only person who wants 2D :o

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
BUT! I don't know about this game yet. I'm not a fan of these 3D remakes, New Mario DS and now this. I'm probably the only person who wants 2D :o

You're not alone there! The biggest flaw of the N64 was Nintendo's decision to make all previous cool 2D games into 3D games. What I like about this game though is that most of it is played in an overhead mode, as if its a 2D game but making use of the 3D graphics to make it look better. I think we've finally reached the stage in 3D games where a 3D game does actually look better than an equivalent 2D game.

All of the N64 versions of Snes games looked far inferior to their Snes variants imo. The gamecube produced the only versions that visually looked as good as the 2D Snes versions did imo.