Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I am going to be purchasing a Macbook Pro soon, but also need a windows to run a finacing programme on. I have heard people say that they have lost data etc off there HDD which if happened would be catasrophic to my business.

I'm not good enough at coding by any means either, so wouldn't be able to install it on an external HDD.

So i was wondering if people could give me some feedback about there experiences of bootcamp. Both positive and negative.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
So far so good i think. The onlt slight niggle has been the track pad under Windows. If I rest my finger on a small strip about 2 cm wide along the right-hand edge of the track pad the wouse jumps all over the place! But on the whole thats isnt a major issue.

As for data protection if you have valuable data i would recomend that you get a HD the same size as the MBP (only about £100 or so) and do regular backups. I am not sure if a program like CarbonCopy would also backup your Windows partition.

Hope this helps.

ipaqowner

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
So i was wondering if people could give me some feedback about there experiences of bootcamp.

I have the 17" MBP and I've been running it on bootcamp for about 3 months now and find it very stable with absolutely no problems at all.
I have it on WinXP Home 95% of the time.
This is my first ever laptop/Apple and I bought it so I could have the best of both worlds.
I have a 200gb HD in an external HDD enclosure connected via firewire and backup my important stuff regularly to it.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
has anybody had any experiance of installing XP on a external HDD? as i looked at the link on the top of the forum and the coding sounds far too complicated for my unix coding

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Everything works fine really. Just the mouse issues and some crashes. But id reccomend you get yourself a external hard disk for backups. Goes for any computer really. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.